Who is your Favorite husker QB?

Crouch was no doubt a stud and I love to watch him play....running over the db from Iowa was epic and his 80 yd run vs Mizzou was one of best of all time, but I still don't think he is in Tommie's league. Tommie was magical. Didn't throw well, but good enough. So many highlight runs, topped off by breaking 100000000 tackles on the run vs Florida. I used to get sooo pumped to watch him turn upfield on the option, run 25 yds, get tackled and get up and spin around and dance. You just knew that when that happened, Tommie was in the zone, and good things were going to happen. He also should have won the Heisman. His record speaks for itself.

Frazier, as great as he certainly was, had truly "massive" more talent on his 94 & 95 teams (on both sides of the ball) than Crouch's 00 & 01 teams could ever dream of. An almost "magical" difference. Eric almost single-handedly carried NU on his back for three years. But of course he didn't win a NC, so of course Frazier, Frost were "better".....blah, blah, blah.

Ah...easily one of the best Nebraska coffee shop topics right here folks. Ive had this very debate in my own head more times than I can remember. Its even come to blows before. :blink:

I'm with you on Newcombe. If he stays healthy, he keeps that starting job over Crouch and takes the team just as far if not further than #7. Bobby ran like a gazelle as a great option QB, and this guy could actually pass the ball too. His effectiveness as a passer put Crouch, Frazier & Frost to shame.

Honestly, I liked Newcombe more than Crouch b/c he had the same fire & competitiveness that defined his predecessors. I'm not saying Crouch didn't have great competitiveness. It's just that his seemed to be on a more individual level, whereas Frazier, Frost & Newcombe were a more team-oriented drive. Btw, I think that's why Crouch was never able to get a National Championship.

I thought Newcombe was the better passer and a great runner, but he had a tendency to fall back and take the 10 yards sacks and run out of bounds that sometimes drove you nuts.

What I would have loved to see was what O'Dell James would have done if he chose Nebraska instead of Baylor :wacko:

Still not seeing how Ganz is in anyones top 10 unless they just started watching football this century.

Maybe because in just a year and a half's time, he set numerous records and was amazingly effective? He was a master of the offense....just compare the offensive efficency of 2008 to 2009.

Sophomore quarterback Joe Dailey produced a record-breaking performance to lead the Nebraska football team to a 59-27 win over Baylor before a sellout crowd of 77,881 at Memorial Stadium. Dailey completed 13 of 20 passes for an NU record 342 yards, surpassing the previous record of 297 yards set by David Humm in 1973. :facepalm:

Was it that hard to set records when most of the past QB'S never had to throw it up that much? Maybe you should go back through the schedules and see what he did against good competition. Missou, Oklahoma, What exactly was his biggest win?

Clemson

The game remained scoreless until the teams combined for 17 points in the final five minutes of the first half. The first score came courtesy of a Husker turnover, as Clemson's DeAndre McDaniel broke into the NU backfield and deflected an option pitch. He was able to find the end zone after the ball bounced right back up to him and he raced 28 yards for the game's first score.

Trailing 7-3, Nebraska got the ball right back when Ty Steinkuhler tipped a Cullen Harper pass and Anthony West made a diving interception at the Clemson 27 with 1:05 left in the half. But the Huskers returned the favor on the very next play, as Ganz threw an interception that Crezdon Butler returned 59 yards down to the NU 13.

Ganz hurt Nebraska defense more then any QB they played that year for every td he threw he probably had a turnover that set the other team up for a score.

You're not seriously comparing Joe Ganz to Joe Dailey, are you?

In your theory you said the reason Ganz was high was because he breaking records. Joe Dailey broke those same records so does this mean he was also in your top 10?

Your comparing Ganz to

Scott Frost

Tommie Frazier

Turner Gill

Crouch

Jerry Tagge

Dave Humm

I could go down the list probably another 10 qb's and the comparison of Ganz to them would be worse then Joe Dailey to Ganz IMO. Stats are great but wins mean a hell of a lot more and your QB is lacking in that department.

Though this is supposed to be everyone favorite QB not the best, so I'm wrong in saying he shouldn't be in anyones top 10.

I'm not saying Ganz was my favorite QB, but I'll throw him in the top 10 Husker QBs list any day. All you had to do was pay attention, and you'd be able to say he's a HELL of a lot closer to that top group than he is to Joe Dailey. That's just selling him, and his contributions to this program, very short. Did he win at the same clip as the 6 you listed? No. Those are some of the all-time best QBs in the history of college football. However, if we're playing the wins card, we have to take a look at what was around Joe when he was here. By that admission, you have to admire even more what Ganzy did while he was here. Top 5? No. Top 10? I'd put him there.

Still not seeing how Ganz is in anyones top 10 unless they just started watching football this century.

Then I must have been right chuckleshuffle

Like I said those were just off the top of my head and I could have added probably 10 to 15 more before Ganz is even thought of.

1. Tommie Frazier

2. Turner Gill

3. Jerry Tagge

4. Joe Ganz

5. Scott Frost

6. Steve Taylor

7. Eric Crouch

8. David Humm

Everyone seems to forget the leadership that Jerry Tagge brought...so I had to vote for him.

Joe Ganz above Eric Crouch huh? Interesting..

1. Tommie Frazier

2. Turner Gill

3. Jerry Tagge

4. Joe Ganz

5. Scott Frost

6. Steve Taylor

7. Eric Crouch

8. David Humm

Everyone seems to forget the leadership that Jerry Tagge brought...so I had to vote for him.

I think this is closer. ;) Though Zac can move up in the future.

1. Mickey Joesph

2. Jammal Lord

3. Matt Turman

4. Joe Ganz

5. Mike Grant

6. Joe Dailey

7. Sam Keller

8. Zac Lee

1. Tommie Frazier

2. Turner Gill

3. Jerry Tagge

4. Joe Ganz

5. Scott Frost

6. Steve Taylor

7. Eric Crouch

8. David Humm

He's not in my top 8 or 9 either. Put Crouch under center on any team within the last 3, 4, or even 5 years. No 1,000 yard rushing season, he would actually be forced to pass (shudder) and most definitely there's no Heisman trophy either. He's number one on the all time crybaby list though. A solid number one.

1. Tommie

2. Steve Taylor (cant believe more people havent talked about him)

3. Turner Gill

4. Crouch

5. Harrison Beck :sarcasm:laughpound

The rumors in the 80's is that Steve would lose his poise in the big games in the huddle. True or not I have no idea but he had his worse games playing Oklahoma. (though he did score the only td against Oklahoma in 1988 season with 1 yard run winning 7-3)

Scott Frost.

When he returned to Nebraska from Stanford he was not greeted with open arms by the Husker faithful, but he hung in there and I believe he won us a National Championship with his heartfelt speech. Without that, I think the voters would have gone with Michigan.

No, he was not. But it's also fair to say that Frost wasn't opening his arms wide to gather in the Husker faithful, either. That was definitely a two-way street.

I've had two "brushes with greatness" pertaining to Frost. The first was at OCB after the 1996 Spring Game. My family went there to eat and so did Frost's. Our tables were right next to each other. Scott was very confident, to the point of arrogance, and seemed to an outsider like me that he was blessing us with his presence. I did not meet or speak to him that day, just observed. Of course as the 1997 season unfolded and he was every bit the gamer we'd hoped he would be I was won over, ignoring whatever perceived personality trait Frost had, and all was right with the world.

Flash forward several years. I've got a house in north Lincoln, Frost's NFL career is on-again-off-again, and he moves in to a house two down from me. This time I actually met him, spoke to him on the sidewalk on several occasions, petted his dog, had a beer at another neighbor's house, the whole neighbor thing. I began to think that I had either REALLY misjudged him in 1996 or that he had mellowed or I had mellowed. Regardless, he was charming, friendly, and we nearly (nearly) traded cars for a day, my Stratus for his Jag. Not sure why he didn't take me up on that offer, but whatever.

Over the past few years I've met Frost's mom on a few occasions as well. She knows football really well (surprise). Reminds me a lot of my mom, also very much the football aficionado. I have nothing but good things to say about the Frost family these days, and my memories of Scott's time at Nebraska are all the more rosy-red because I actually got to know him... kind of. He's good people. I'd be happy to have him come back to Lincoln if a spot opens up on the staff.

A lot of people hold Frost's decision to go to Stanford over Nebraska against him. I do not. Considering Walsh won Super Bowls in the NFL and every young highly touted QB wishes to play in the NFL, I fully understand his decision. It's not like Nebraska had then or has now a pipeline to the NFL with regards to QB's. His dad was his high school football coach. His dad was also on the Nebraska football team once upon a time. I'm sure his dad helped him with his decision to go to Stanford over Nebraska. I also believe there was another little detail in there where his older brother got to tag along on a scholarship with him to Stanford. If memory serves me right, his older brother was on the Colorado State roster prior to transferring to Stanford. Considering when he graduated high school, he probably wouldn't have played much before the 96' season anyway. He might have beat out Berringer as a redshirt freshman, but I doubt it.