S Wayne Lyons

Nexus

I have seen lots of people, not so much on this board but on HI, that are ripping this kid for asking all these questions. I think its great that he is asking all these questions, college is a huge choice for a "regular" college kid that is just going to be a "regular" student so I can see why he would want to know all this. People on other boards were scoffing at his question about the weather, are they crazy? Lots of students I know say things like "I want to go to a warm weather school" and people relocate for warmer places all the time. I know other posters, again not so much here on this board, have scoffed at the questions about describing the town and things like that, I think thats a fantastic question. How many recruiting visits do you think show off those "normal" things, like shopping malls, walmarts, movie theathers and so on. Those trips focus on the school and the sport and then parties.

I like his list and I know that some of the questions can be answered by google or whatever but I think all the questions are fair.

Agreed, I think it was a great thing for him and his mother to do.

Are we still interested in him now that we have gotten 2 saftey commits already?

I would think that this is a guy that you would make room for, especially with the defensive scheme that has been implemented.

Based on what I read, he wants a degree that has a lot of prestige behind it. On that list, schools like Stanford and Northwestern have names where the degree will get you more in the private sector. This makes it a long shot in my opinion. We want kids to value their education but winning football games and a national championship should make up quesitons 1-49.

Based on what I read, he wants a degree that has a lot of prestige behind it. On that list, schools like Stanford and Northwestern have names where the degree will get you more in the private sector. This makes it a long shot in my opinion. We want kids to value their education but winning football games and a national championship should make up quesitons 1-49.

99% of what those sort of questions would answer for him can be quickly found, or will be reviewed by coaches during the recruitment though. Most of his questions fall outside of football, but are just as important in regards to his success on the field. adjusting to college life dozens of hours from home is not easy, and how well a student-athlete adjusts, directly correlates to his value on the team. a kid that is homesick, or discouraged by his situation won't be as productive on the field or in the classroom.

i went to college where i didn't have a family member within 500 miles. i'd been to the city once, didn't know where the grocery store was, didn't have a clue where to find the nearest bookstore. simple things like getting an oil change proved to be ten times more difficult than what I was used to. little things impact your attitude differently when you're out of your normal environment.

i don't really agree with all of his questions, and find a number of them biased or slightly racial (if i asked the same questions only substituted Caucasian for african-american i'd be shunned and immediately belittled for implying that I didn't want to attend a university that wasn't predominantly white)...but I see the point behind asking them.

the entire prospective freshman class should have a packet that answers these sort of questions for students. maybe they do, i don't know. calling the admissions office, or researching on google shouldn't be required...and I certainly don't think the coaches should have to (or probably will) expel any time compiling this. making life easier on prospective and enrolled students that are new to the area should be a very high priority of the university for all students, not just football players...and i highly doubt it is. retention of the freshman class is important to both the school and the team.

We want kids to value their education but winning football games and a national championship should make up quesitons 1-49.

I get what you're saying, but I have a hunch that his mother was the driving force behind the list moreso than he was.

Right now Wayne Lyons is very high on Nebraska. Tim Beck talks to Wayne on a regular basis and Beck makes sure that Lyons is thinking Nebraska and Nebraska only. Not only is Beck talking to Wayne but he's talking to Wayne's mother to start a good relationship and trust.

As mentioned above in a link, Wayne has sent out a questionaire to all of the colleges that have offered him and only a few sent back responses in great detail and he really liked that. Those colleges are Stanford, Notre Dame, UCLA, and Nebraska.

His situation reminds me of, I hate to say it, Owa in that selling his mom on the school is just as important as selling him on the school. She seems to be very involved in this whole process, which is a good thing IMO.

The parents need to be just as comfortable with the school as the kids are.

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...