S Wayne Lyons

Nexus

The coaches must do everything they can to get this kid here. What's his plans for coming to Nebraska, camp, fall visit?

We are in the running for an official visit. He has already been to Florida, Ohio State, Florida State.

He has visited those places officially or unofficially? I'm assuming unofficially as I'm doubting FU, OSU, and FSU would rather bring him in in the spring than get him in for a gameday.

The coaches must do everything they can to get this kid here. What's his plans for coming to Nebraska, camp, fall visit?

We are in the running for an official visit. He has already been to Florida, Ohio State, Florida State.

He has visited those places officially or unofficially? I'm assuming unofficially as I'm doubting FU, OSU, and FSU would rather bring him in in the spring than get him in for a gameday.

I don't think the NCAA allows official visits until this fall.

I don't think the NCAA allows official visits until this fall.

All were unofficial, went to the OSU spring game, went to camp at Florida, adn unofficially visited FSU's campus.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see this posted. SI has the list of questions that he and his mother are sending out to schools. Pretty interesting.

**Edit: Nevermind. I see it was included in the link in the post above :facepalm: My bad

Wayne Lyons' Recruiting Questions

Coach, the following are a list of the many questions that Wayne and I have regarding this recruiting process, your school and the football program. If you would be so kind as to return your response to us by June 19, 2010, this will give us a chance to review them all during our summer break. It is our goal to have the list cut down by the end of the high school summer season in July 2010. Thank you for your time.

This document is in Microsoft Word and you can provide your response directly under the questions provided.

Please return via email to: xxxxxxx@gmail.com

1. What are the typical weather conditions during the football season?

2. What type of summer program/schedule do you have for the football players?

3. Are players required to attend summer school?

4. If my mom had to fly to see me play, what is the best airport to fly into from Fort Lauderdale, Fla.?

5. How far is the commute from the airport to your campus?

6. What are the most economical lodgings, near your school, which are available during game time for my mom?

7. Will transportation be needed when my mom visits for games? i.e., will she need to rent a car or are lodging accommodations close enough to the school?

8. Will Wayne's scholarship include funding for the summer?

9. Are there summer jobs available for football players?

10. What provisions do you have if Wayne was to sustain a career-ending injury?

11. Does your school have an organized Parent-Support Group that is specific to football? All athletics?

12. What type of living accommodations do the football players have? Apartment, dorm, etc.

13. How far are the living quarters from the main location of the academic buildings? From the football facilities?

14. What time does the first class start at your school?

15. What time do the football players start their day during the season? Offseason?

16. Do you have a full-time physician assigned to your football program?

17. How many athletic trainers does your program have?

18. What are the procedures if athletes sustain non-athletic health issues? Such as catching the flu, colds or other minor health issues.

19. What type of insurance is covered (if any) under Wayne's scholarship? i.e. health, eye, dental, etc...

20. If there is an emergency and Wayne needs to get home within a week's notice, are there any provisions available under his scholarship?

21. Being that Wayne is from a southern state with a warm climate: Are there any provisions under his scholarship that would provide funds for clothing to accommodate the northern weather?

22. Please describe the neighborhood (with a five-mile radius) that surrounds your school.

23. What is the distance to the nearest department store from where the players live?

24. What percentage of your players lives on campus?

25. Will it be necessary or advantageous for Wayne to have a car?

26. What is the percentage of African-Americans that live in your school's city?

27. If players elect not to attend summer school but prefer to remain at the school and work, are they permitted to stay on campus or will they require off-campus housing for the summer?

28. What is the average course load for players during the season?

29. What is the average cost of apartments/off-campus living should players require summer housing not provided by the scholarship?

30. What type of public transportation is available for players needing to get to a department store?

31. How many undergraduate students does your school have?

32. What is the average class size for undergraduate courses? Professor-to-student ratio?

33. How many seniors/graduates have you had for the past five years? Year-by-year?

34. How many football players do you currently have that are engineering majors?

35. How many football players have graduated with an engineering degree in the past five years? Year-by-year? Please list their names.

36. How many African-American football players have graduated with their degree (any major -- four- and five-year seniors) in the past five years? Year-by-year?

37. How many African-American players have graduated with an engineering degree in the past five years? Year-by-year? Please list their names.

38. What are the admissions requirements beyond the NCAA sliding scale? i.e. GPA, test scores.

39. What is the coldest temperature your city gets?

40. What are the procedures at your school if Wayne was to receive an academic (financial) scholarship from a private organization that is sent directly to the college? Will he be allowed to receive the scholarship or will the dollar amount be subtracted from the scholarship provided by the athletic department?

41. If Wayne does not qualify for Financial Aid (Grants), how will this impact his scholarship?

42. If Wayne didn't attend summer school but wanted to remain at the school, would he have to provide his own living accommodations or can he live on campus?

43. Where do you see Wayne playing coming into your school's program?

44. How many safeties have you brought in during the last two (2) recruiting cycles?

45. How many safeties do you anticipate leaving after the 2010 season?

46. How do you think Wayne can impact your football program?

47. How many years has your head coach been at your school? Coached college FB? Coached in the NFL?

48. How many years has your DB's coach been at your school? Coached college FB? Coached in the NFL?

49. What is the biggest benefit to Wayne attending your school?

50. What do you feel are Wayne's attributes that he brings to the table as a recruit?

Again, we would like to thank you for taking time to provide responses to our questions.

Wayne Lyons and Gwen Bush (mom)

Sports Illustrated Link

kudos to wayne and his mother for really thinking this through. there are a lot of questions there that every recruit (and more likely their parents) need to be asking when making such a big decision.

agreed, and the way Bo and this staff recruit these kids (no pressure, family oriented) I think Nebraska can atleast get a visit from Wayne and his mother.

Few things I took from the list...

1) Weather is going to be a factor in his decision. Asking about clothing, average temp, etc.

2) 27 & 42 are the same question. Attention to detail Wayne.

3) Funds. funds to accomodate clothing? funds to fly him back home in an emergency? funds for insurance? funds for summer?

4) He places an emphasis on the racial profile and diversity of the area. Percentage of African-Americans in Lincoln? - 3.1%. Gainesville - 23.2%

5) He's very concerned about what goes on during the summer in regards to school/football.

6) He wants to start as a freshman.

7) He likes department stores.

Few things I took from the list...

1) Weather is going to be a factor in his decision. Asking about clothing, average temp, etc.

2) 27 & 42 are the same question. Attention to detail Wayne.

3) Funds. funds to accomodate clothing? funds to fly him back home in an emergency? funds for insurance? funds for summer?

4) He places an emphasis on the racial profile and diversity of the area. Percentage of African-Americans in Lincoln? - 3.1%. Gainesville - 23.2%

5) He's very concerned about what goes on during the summer in regards to school/football.

6) He wants to start as a freshman.

7) He likes department stores.

1) Of course weather is a factor, he is from Florida, we just hope we can have enough other positives to persuade him to overlook that.

2) I saw that too...

3) All kids want to know that and I think they are good questions. Clothing you will get enough free clothes from school to cover that, Fly back in an emergency I'm not sure that can be done, insurance won't be needed team doctor will take care of all of it even non-football stuff, summer is covered if he takes classes which most of the football players do and since he is such a good athlete you have to think he will

4) Lincoln can't compete with many other places in this, but the football team and other sports are fairly diverse and that is who he will see 90% of the time. Hopefully we overcome this with other areas

5) He wants to know if he has to be around and what is offered. With the amount of questions about it I would say he wants to stay for summer school.

6) I didn't feel that way, but I may have missed that.

7) IMHO this is mom thinking her son will need it.

I have seen lots of people, not so much on this board but on HI, that are ripping this kid for asking all these questions. I think its great that he is asking all these questions, college is a huge choice for a "regular" college kid that is just going to be a "regular" student so I can see why he would want to know all this. People on other boards were scoffing at his question about the weather, are they crazy? Lots of students I know say things like "I want to go to a warm weather school" and people relocate for warmer places all the time. I know other posters, again not so much here on this board, have scoffed at the questions about describing the town and things like that, I think thats a fantastic question. How many recruiting visits do you think show off those "normal" things, like shopping malls, walmarts, movie theathers and so on. Those trips focus on the school and the sport and then parties.

I like his list and I know that some of the questions can be answered by google or whatever but I think all the questions are fair.

I have seen lots of people, not so much on this board but on HI, that are ripping this kid for asking all these questions. I think its great that he is asking all these questions, college is a huge choice for a "regular" college kid that is just going to be a "regular" student so I can see why he would want to know all this. People on other boards were scoffing at his question about the weather, are they crazy? Lots of students I know say things like "I want to go to a warm weather school" and people relocate for warmer places all the time. I know other posters, again not so much here on this board, have scoffed at the questions about describing the town and things like that, I think thats a fantastic question. How many recruiting visits do you think show off those "normal" things, like shopping malls, walmarts, movie theathers and so on. Those trips focus on the school and the sport and then parties.

I like his list and I know that some of the questions can be answered by google or whatever but I think all the questions are fair.

They asked him how his list of questions was viewed by coaches. He said very well and that some coaches even commented how they were going to basically use something similar. Meaning I guess use his sheet as a kind of FAQ sheet...

Agreed, I think it was a great thing for him and his mother to do.

Are we still interested in him now that we have gotten 2 saftey commits already?

Are we still interested in him now that we have gotten 2 saftey commits already?

I would think that this is a guy that you would make room for, especially with the defensive scheme that has been implemented.