Will Cody Green rise to expectations in 2010?

Nexus

Zac Lee and Cody Green both have great speed, but I definitely wouldn't consider either of them elusive. Just watch a Frazier or a Young and how they had such a knack at dancing around tackles and heading up field. That's what my definition of "elusive" would be, and I definitely did not see any of that from Lee or Green last year.

Hey, I admire Lee's guts. I really do. But he sure doesn't look athletic to me at all. Marginal speed and zero elusiveness and authority running the ball. He was hardly any better throwing the ball. A tough kid! But no real upside that I can see.

You know Zac Lee runs a ~4.6 40, right?

No I did not. All I know is what he looked like on the field last year. "Quick" or "fast" just were not the adjectives that came to my mind. Many posters here don't care if the qb is timed with a sun dial as they only want to throw the ball all over the place. But can NU be a consistent winner without having Dan Marino clones every year? I seriously doubt it. NU must be a real-deal threat on the ground to return to premier status, imo. A qb who's a rocket running the ball only helps us reach that level.

I also don't get where everybody talks about his accuracy. Yet another quality that I just didn't see except when playing Sun Belt teams.

But yeah, I realize this is my own subjective opinion. I would "love" to see the kid prove me totally wrong. I really would.

But until he does, I'm bigtime hoping Green, Spano or Martinez take the bull by the horns.

The gist of the article is that even the great QBs were not great their freshman year. Then the article says that Cody Green had an underwhelming freshman. What kind of logic is that?

Cody Green’s performance was about what I’d expect from a true freshman—even a great one.

I would say the article came off as "Cody didn't do great his freshman year, but these guys didn't do." So I'm critical of the article from the standpoint of, it's still projecting crazy sky-high expectations for this guy just because he had 4 stars, because he's really shown nothing else. I mean, Green and Spano were about .1 RR different in their rankings, and Spano was ranked ahead of Green comparatively in the dual-threat QBs list the year prior. But Spano was a late commit switch and had 3 stars while Green had 4, so we were always in love with Green as our "next big QB commit". I feel like the expectations for these guys shouldn't be too different, despite how all the media just focuses on Green.

Basically, from my standpoint I would have thought you'd be agreeing with the article: that Green didn't light it up, but it's okay because the great ones didn't either. I'm disagreeing because I don't think the logic of "Just because he's not doing well this year doesn't mean he'll do great next year" doesn't make too much sense. I'm not writing off Green, I just don't know why everyone is treating him like a young Vince Young yet.

About arm strength though, Lee's arm strength is definitely not lacking. Cody lasers his throws which we've seen, but you're not supposed to laser all your throws. And I don't know bshirt, I realize you've never been a huge fan of Lee's skills, and I wonder how much that is factoring in your respective evaluations of those guys. Is Green elusive? I didn't see that. Sure he has nice top-end straightline speed, but Lee looked quicker and more agile as a runner. Cody is a terrific kid and if he develops his passing game, then he does have tremendous upside. Martinez? I don't know. Lee is far and away the best passer on the team, so I don't know where this "limited upside" sentiment comes from. If Lee's passing skills correspond to limited upside, I think we are all going to be severely disappointed by what Martinez and LTW have to offer. Quentin Castille couldn't run circles around Lee, I doubt Green can. And Green and Martinez can surely run circles around Sam Bradford, but that didn't stop Bradford from being the best QB in the nation. I guess my point is: at Nebraska, we sure love our mobile QBs. But I don't get why we all of a sudden seem to have bias against guys who can throw, and only favor the guys who can't yet. It's like a guy's 40 time is the #1 criteria being used to determine if we like a QB or not. See it with the new recruits, every time we offer a guy with a slow 40, people start asking what we're doing offering a slow pocket passer.

Fair enough. I didn’t really buy into all of Cody Green’s recruitment hype. But I think he shows promise from what I saw of him last year. This is why I like Cody Green: He has a strong arm, quick feet, and can lower his shoulder for an extra yard when he needs to. Don’t get me wrong. I realize Cody Green looked a bit raw last year, and still needs work in some key areas. He needs to improve on his throwing accuracy and touch. He needs to work on running through the progression of receivers and not locking on his #1 receiver. And his pocket presence and decision making could use improvement. These things will come. I hope. I think CG will become the man this year at QB. He will provide the offensive spark we lacked last season. At least I am hoping for this. But first he needs to grab the reigns of the offense and become the team leader. And hone a few basic skills. He's not a true freshman anymore.

Hey, I admire Lee's guts. I really do. But he sure doesn't look athletic to me at all. Marginal speed and zero elusiveness and authority running the ball. He was hardly any better throwing the ball. A tough kid! But no real upside that I can see.

You know Zac Lee runs a ~4.6 40, right?

The 40 yard dash is one of the most over-rated drills in all of sports. There is a big difference between what a guy can do streaking down a football field in shorts and a t-shirt in comparison to what they can do in full pads with defenders zoning in on them.

The 40 yard dash is an O.K. stat, but the simple fact of the matter is that it isn't often that the players are given the opportunity to run 40 yards in a game, let alone in shorts and t-shirt. I'm not saying Zac isn't fast in his own right and has some elusiveness, because he had a great touchdown run in the Holiday Bowl. But from what we saw collectively last year, he doesn't have the best speed. His 40 may be fast, but his game speed isn't the same.

All of these discussions are great, but if _________ starts the season and looks competent, and leads us to solid victories over W. Kentucky, Idaho and especially Washington, all of this talk will be forgotten and everyone will be firmly in support of him.

And you can fill that blank with any name on the roster. ;)

All of these discussions are great, but if _________ starts the season and looks competent, and leads us to solid victories over W. Kentucky, Idaho and especially Washington, all of this talk will be forgotten and everyone will be firmly in support of him.

Brion Carnes!! :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2::sarcasm

Not necessarily. I think I'll reserve my judgment until we start conference play.... we found out last year what can happen if you get too hyped up after the first 3-4 games. <_<

Actually, Nexus isn't a poster. Nexus is an automated script we wrote that crawls sites like HuskerExtra and Rivals and posts player threads or articles above a quality threshold. AI these days, it's advanced, you know? He's even scripted to quote posts and reply with messages such as "yeah, I agree"; "no, that is totally wrong", and "This is how a Cover-2 works: ... " in order to simulate actual conversation. ;) We're actually working on a 2.0 version with simulated "sleep times" that we'll be rolling out later this week to provide everyone with a more realistic message board experience.

• Fire 5

Actually, Nexus isn't a poster. Nexus is an automated script we wrote that crawls sites like HuskerExtra and Rivals and posts player threads or articles above a quality threshold. AI these days, it's advanced, you know? He's even scripted to quote posts and reply with messages such as "yeah, I agree"; "no, that is totally wrong", and "This is how a Cover-2 works: ... " in order to simulate actual conversation. ;) We're actually working on a 2.0 version with simulated "sleep times" that we'll be rolling out later this week to provide everyone with a more realistic message board experience.

:laughpound I wondered where all those "thanks for the update" comments over on the recruiting forum came from.....and to think I just thought he was a nice guy.

+1

• Fire 1

:laughpound I wondered where all those "thanks for the update" comments over on the recruiting forum came from.....and to think I just thought he was a nice guy.

+1

Ha ha! Code that passes the Turing Test.

• Fire 1

yeah he will rise to his backup position yeah....

how is this post at -2? he's stating his opinion, which honestly, will probably be the way it unfolds.. Lee was injured last season (idc if you think "significant" or not, the kid played through it, never used it as an excuse, finished the season strong), and Cody got an opportunity and failed. He needs a season to redshirt and learn the offense a little better to take over after Zac n get 3 strong years in.

• Fire 1