Big 10 expansion talk heating up

I hope not. This would be pretty bad for our Texas recruiting.

I could see us not pulling in as many kids as usual, but we'd still make the attempt and come away with a handful or more.

I did a quick search and found that 43 kids from Texas play in the Big 10.

Penn St. - 3

Ohio St. - 2

Michigan - 4

Mich. St. - 0

Minnesota - 7

Indiana - 2

Purdue - 12

Northwestern - 7

Illini - 0

Iowa - 1

Wisconsin - 5

We could probably match what Purdue pulls in from Texas.

I could see us not pulling in as many kids as usual, but we'd still make the attempt and come away with a handful or more.

Penn St. - 3

Ohio St. - 2

Michigan - 4

Mich. St. - 0

Minnesota - 7

Indiana - 2

Purdue - 12

Northwestern - 7

Illini - 0

Iowa - 1

Wisconsin - 5

Aren't the majority of those kids going to be thought of as the "leftovers?"

• Fire 1

Penn St. - 3

Ohio St. - 2

Michigan - 4

Mich. St. - 0

Minnesota - 7

Indiana - 2

Purdue - 12

Northwestern - 7

Illini - 0

Iowa - 1

Wisconsin - 5

Aren't the majority of those kids going to be thought of as the "leftovers?"

Probably, but it's no different for us. Since 2007 we've pulled in six 4* players from Texas. 3 of them didn't pan out or make it on campus (Whitmore, Castille, Williams) and one of them is a JUCO. The rest of our Texas roster is made up of 3* kids.

I'm guessing the majority of those Texas kids in the Big 10 are 3*.

I dont like the 16 team league, but with all the crap Texas is pulling in the Big 12 I wouldn't mind seeing us move. I hate the fact that the Big 12 Championship isn't rotating anymore just because they have a nice new stadium.

They havent decided yet if it will stay in Dallas, but Beebe seems to leaning toward that way. I guess they will vote on it June. but it prob wont matter, because we will headed big 10, sad but true.

ok, so if we go to the big ten we get what? :koolaid2:

1. A feel like pre-season games all year till the Ohio State game?

2. More money? Well we have already proven that we don't need it! And it doesn't seem to help them!

3. We'll be on tv more? but I can't see us getting replayed to often, because we'll be kicking their a$$e$ everytime!

What we really need is a Big 12 network so we'll get replayed more!

You know, Old timers run the Show in the Big 10 and they know what the Big Red Machine can be like! I can't see them wanting to bring in a powerhouse ready to explode to come whoop up on them with such a small population!

Well If this happens can we all finally agree that Nebraska/Oklahoma is done?

In my mind, NU/OU was done the moment the Big XII was formed. Anyone thinking differently is just being nostalgic.

Yep...and while NU keeps holding on to that piece of history, OU keeps trying to move away. NU needs to worry more about its own tradition than trying to satisfy everyone else's.

2. More money? Well we have already proven that we don't need it! And it doesn't seem to help them!

3. We'll be on tv more? but I can't see us getting replayed to often, because we'll be kicking their a$$e$ everytime!

You know, Old timers run the Show in the Big 10 and they know what the Big Red Machine can be like! I can't see them wanting to bring in a powerhouse ready to explode to come whoop up on them with such a small population!

1) Everybody rips on the big ten, but I feel like a lot of it is unwarranted. As a whole, the conference has had a few down years, but this year it proved that it should be considered an elite conference again during bowl season. If you think you're going to walk through teams like Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa, you're wrong. Nebraska would have a good shot at winning the big ten, but those teams would definitely give them a run for their money.

2) More money. $15 million dollars. If you can't put that to a good use.. :facepalm:

3) See #1

Once again, I think Nebraska would be a power in the big ten, but I don't think they'd be dominant like you think.

Academically the B10 is WAY ahead of NU. That might be the biggest benefit since the B10 has the CIC and shares in much of the research between institutions. Nebraska has been getting better academically the last 2 decades and this is a chance to really improve.

The fact everyone keeps saying how bad the B10 is in football is very short-sighted. Even during their down years recently it was considered an upset when NU beat Michigan. Think about that, it's not like NU has been elite ourselves this decade.

And Texas already killed the B12 network idea and is trying to start the Longhorn Sports Network by themselves. That's a major reason why NU needs to ditch the B12.

• Fire 2

3. We'll be on tv more? but I can't see us getting replayed to often, because we'll be kicking their a$e$ everytime!

1) Everybody rips on the big ten, but I feel like a lot of it is unwarranted. As a whole, the conference has had a few down years, but this year it proved that it should be considered an elite conference again during bowl season. If you think you're going to walk through teams like Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa, you're wrong. Nebraska would have a good shot at winning the big ten, but those teams would definitely give them a run for their money.

2) More money. $15 million dollars. If you can't put that to a good use.. :facepalm:

3) See #1

Once again, I think Nebraska would be a power in the big ten, but I don't think they'd be dominant like you think.

College football is cyclical. Nebraska experienced their down years recently in the '00s. Oklahoma experienced it in the '90s. You can cite several more examples across the landscape. Like fellow forum member knapplc said in another thread, prestigious teams that have 800+ wins still know how to put together a dynasty. It's not like they just suddenly forgot how to win. There's a reason why they have 800+ wins to begin with. Ask any college coach to name their Top 5 schools where they'd like to coach and I'm sure they'd mention at least one or two of the 800+ win schools as one of their dream jobs.

Just because the big 10 doesn't explode with points people assume they are a lousy conference. Was Nebraska a lousy team with no offense last season? The big 10 placed two BCS teams last season...both of them winning by the way...and their bowl record is usually solid. OSU had a couple TITLE games that didn't go well but they were good enough to be there. No one argued that fact when they got beat up by florida...they just looked unprepared the same way Arizona looked in the Holiday bowl. The big 10 is good enough for Nebraska as far as competition.

Now their brass is also really sharp and a step ahead of the curve. Launching that network brought a lot of criticism but it sure panned out. And I just don't buy that missouri is a better choice because you can add the network to the kc/st louis areas. Nebraska has a national audience.

Academically the B10 is WAY ahead of NU. That might be the biggest benefit since the B10 has the CIC and shares in much of the research between institutions. Nebraska has been getting better academically the last 2 decades and this is a chance to really improve.

Absolutely, and this is a key factor for why Nebraska would want to jump at this chance, if offered. Penn State has been on record as saying how greatly they've benefited from association with the Big 10 academically. Most recently I heard this from JoePa when he talked with the TV guys up in the booth at PSU's Spring Game. It's most likely not a coincidence that NU is working its butt off to build the Research Park on the old Fair Grounds right about now when it looks like we may have a chance to join a conference where we would be way behind in academics.

The fact everyone keeps saying how bad the B10 is in football is very short-sighted. Even during their down years recently it was considered an upset when NU beat Michigan. Think about that, it's not like NU has been elite ourselves this decade.

This is also true. College football is cyclical, and some teams are slow to react to change in the overall game. The Big 10 has been isolated of late in the race to acquire team speed, much like Nebraska was in the late 1980s. This is something that will change, especially if they add both Missouri and Nebraska, two teams built with speed in mind. Programs like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Michigan State are not going to allow themselves to remain down for long. These are pillars of college football, and they'll adapt and once again claim their rightful place near the top of the game.

And Texas already killed the B12 network idea and is trying to start the Longhorn Sports Network by themselves. That's a major reason why NU needs to ditch the B12.

This is probably the most irksome thing about this whole situation. Texas is almost intentionally thumbing their noses at the rest of the Big 12 with crap like this, and yet the rest of the Big 12 votes in lock-step with Texas again and again. It's baffling to me how teams from the North can continue to bitch about the inequities of this conference, yet never take a stand on major issues like the CCG or a conference TV network. Instead it sits idly by while the Longhorns submarine a conference TV channel, then work to create their own TV network. Sheer lunacy.

If/when Nebraska leaves the Big 12, there had better not be any hand-wringing over our departure, or what it does to the Big 12 holdovers. They've done this to themselves.