BIG NEWS

As usual when I see a report on 810 sports I look to 610 sports to vonfirm. Here is what they have on their front page.

The Kansas City Star reported Monday afternoon that Missour has not been invited to join the Big 10 Conference.  This finding refutes a Kansas City sports-radio report (not 610) from earlier Monday, that stated Missouri and Nebraska were among 4 teams to be invited to join the Big 10 Conference.    A source teams to be invited to join the Big 10 Conference.  ong involved in Missouri athletics told The Star that the Big Ten has made no such offer.  Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman Star whether the report had any validity concerning his school Stay tuned to 610 Sports Radio and 610sports.com for the latest and [accurate[i/] information on this story

610 sports

As usual when I see a report on 810 sports I look to 610 sports to vonfirm. Here is what they have on their front page.

The Kansas City Star reported Monday afternoon that Missour has not been invited to join the Big 10 Conference.  This finding refutes a Kansas City sports-radio report (not 610) from earlier Monday, that stated Missouri and Nebraska were among 4 teams to be invited to join the Big 10 Conference.    A source teams to be invited to join the Big 10 Conference.  ong involved in Missouri athletics told The Star that the Big Ten has made no such offer.  Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman Star whether the report had any validity concerning his school Stay tuned to 610 Sports Radio and 610sports.com for the latest and [accurate[i/] information on this story

610 sports

Sounds like they have their own little rivalry going on down there in KC.

610 sports

You hit the nail on the head!

610 sports

You hit the nail on the head!

Not saying that this is true or not, but ESPN is reporting it (FWIW) and the statement that NU released didn't exactly put this rumor to bed. More than anything, that statement reaffirmed this rumor.

A writer from the Detroit News thinks that Nebraska and Notre Dame would be exempt from a buy-in and would receive a full cash cut upon entrance into the Big Ten while the other schools might have a buy-in timetable.

Here's what is happening today with Big Ten expansion, which is almost certainly headed for a 16-team conference, based upon sources who can be trusted and who prefer that their names not be revealed.

The Big Ten within a couple of years will likely be one of four 16-team national super conferences, with Big 12 football and Big East football the casualties.

Missouri and Nebraska are the best bets to join the Big Ten and begin the break-up of the Big 12. Rutgers and either Syracuse or Pitt are the most likely schools to leave a dissolving Big East and join the Big Ten, although Connecticut is a possibility, as is Maryland from the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Notre Dame is the wild card. It is also the most vital name the Big Ten can add to a 16-team lineup.

Notre Dame must see a cash cow in excess of anything it stands to get down the line. It must also become nervous that it could be left on its own once the four, 16-team monster conferences take shape. Even an independent (football) with Notre Dame's cachet probably wants the protection of a conference in which it would be a perpetual big fish.

Notre Dame already is looking at a bigger payday in the Big Ten. The Irish get about $15 million a year in TV revenue compared with $22 million per school in the Big Ten.

The catch is that more teams can, at least initially, water down the annual haul the Big Ten schools receive. It is why Rutgers -- valued because of its New York proximity and the sheer volume of television sets it would net -- could be looking at a different arrangement from other schools that hook onto the Big Ten.

There could be a buy-in timetable compared with a Notre Dame or a Nebraska, which would receive a full cash cut immediately. Rutgers would, in essence, make less money initially on its way to a full share. The reason Rutgers might go for it is for the same reason the Big Ten wants Rutgers: In the long term, it's good business for both parties.

Nebraska speaks for itself. The football program is gold. Cornhuskers red is the color not only of an entire state, but of a territory, with big alumni numbers, to boot.

Missouri is the Big Ten's expressway into the St. Louis and Kansas City markets. Again, alumni numbers make those two markets even more attractive to an expanding Big Ten.

Syracuse is a potential match for obvious reasons of geography, size, competitive harmony (basketball more than football these days), etc.

Some people in the Big Ten would love having Pitt in the conference for another reason: Pitt would dig more deeply into the football recruiting turf now owned by Ohio State and Penn State.

As for the structural arrangement, it is almost certain to be four divisions of four teams, which brings into play semifinal and championship games in football.

There were reports Monday from Kansas City that formal offers have been made to four schools: Notre Dame, Missouri, Nebraska and Rutgers.

No formal offers, not even close, have been issued, according to Big Ten sources in position to know. Every athletic director in the conference was surprised by that speculation Monday, and all would obviously have been informed had an invitation been extended.

But the names are good, very good, and probably the best four schools to consider as the conference gets set to grow dramatically. And yet the Big Ten will need five schools to pull off its coup.

Syracuse? Pitt? Connecticut? Maryland?

This is still being explored, all of it, with one university the linchpin to a Big Ten dream team.

That's Notre Dame. The way in which college sports is about to be reconfigured could push the Irish, at long last, to do something a superstar university never saw as interesting:

Join the Big Ten.

LINK

Vince has a point that's being overlooked because of his reputation. We recruit in New Jersey and don't play games against Big East opponents. We recruit out of California and we don't play against the Pac-10. We recruit out of Florida and we don't play in the SEC.

This argument that if we go to the Big 10 that our Texas recruiting will dry up has no basis. Show me a region of this country where NEBRASKA can't recruit and I'll show you a region that has never heard of football.

Please..

Not saying it will "dry up"...just be very different (have we even gotten anyone from jersey since the Peter bros)?

My guess is we'll be trading a dozen Texas guys for two half-dozen Ohio guys..er..I mean Any state outside of Ohio.

And Vince..I won't be all that shocked if you're mostly right..But when you start throwing absolute words around like "Always", "Never", or "Zero" I find it hard to believe your arguments.

I'm still wondering what effect that Butterfly I smashed my car into this morning will have on next year's recruiting.

Was that Butterfly from Texas??? If so, I think we are screwed with getting anymore Texas recruits!!! How could you kill that Texas Butterly.

Well...It DID appear to have a lone star on it's butt, but it happened just outside of Phoenix..And as I replay the gory images in me 'ead, I could've mistaken the flash of a photo-radar for the star thing.

Either way, I'd probably be more concerned about the effect on the other side of the planet and in no way should our Husker friends near OKC sick their insurance companies after me for the tornado damages yesterday.

Normally, it's every Arizona resident's civic duty to run Cowboy or Longwhorn fans off the road, but I instinctively hesitated because I normally try to travel at least 10 mph faster than all the idiots on their cell phones and my first thought was "Speed trap".

And how can you totally hate a state that gave us ZZ-Top and Stevie Ray Vaughan? And Farrah Fawcett?

so pretty much everyone is denying everything...and nobody wants to admit to anything?

What more do you want?

I already admitted that the Big-Televen didn't suck as much as usual last year, and you have a written confession that I may have maimed a butterfly.

The best thing about these "reports" is the people you interact with on a daily basis and how they freak out and blow it way out of proportion. I've heard a few times already that the move is "a done deal" and it's "being reported everywhere." I've been giggling at my desk all morning. Now, I'm not saying that it couldn't be a done deal, but until someone in a position of authority (Jim Delany or whatev his name is) says something, I'll remain a little skeptical. The speculation is so fun though and definitely livening up the off-season.

Thats what Ive been waiting on too. People were posting yesterday, that it was being reported everywhere. Yet every single link referenced the same "source." It was just posted on a different websites. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Im starting to believe it now, but still alittle skeptical, until something from ESPN, not citing the source or the Big 11. Then I will finally come to terms with it.