Beebe to give big 12 members with one foot out the door an ultimatum.

Re: SIAP Dan Beebe on 810 radio now

Yep it was Keitzman that used "ultimatum" to summarize the points. And the Big XII meetings in KC are June 1-4 if you are keeping score at home.

Here is an exerpt from the interview:

Today’s comments from Mr. Beebe on Between the Lines seem a little more aggressive and protective:

“I’ve talked directly with Jim (referring to Big X commissioner Delaney),” Mr. Beebe said. “I understand what he’s doing, where’s he’s coming from. Maybe I would do it similarly if I were in his situation, maybe I wouldn’t. But I’m going to protect our interests. We need to move forward and have a direction people need to buy into and move forward.”

Part of having schools buy-in means finding out exactly where these institutions stand on moving in or out.

“We need to come to terms with that. We’re going to head into our meetings in Kansas City and I think we need to have a very frank conversation about where we’re going and who’s going to be on the plane when we take off.” Mr. Beebe said. “I will be very direct and talk about that with our membership and want to find out. It would be a shame, given that all boats have risen with this tide that’s been created in the Big 12, for anybody to think they’re going to have a better future somewhere else.”

Re: SIAP Dan Beebe on 810 radio now

Yep it was Keitzman that used "ultimatum" to summarize the points. And the Big XII meetings in KC are June 1-4 if you are keeping score at home.

Here is an exerpt from the interview:

Today’s comments from Mr. Beebe on Between the Lines seem a little more aggressive and protective:

“I’ve talked directly with Jim (referring to Big X commissioner Delaney),” Mr. Beebe said. “I understand what he’s doing, where’s he’s coming from. Maybe I would do it similarly if I were in his situation, maybe I wouldn’t. But I’m going to protect our interests. We need to move forward and have a direction people need to buy into and move forward.”

Part of having schools buy-in means finding out exactly where these institutions stand on moving in or out.

“We need to come to terms with that. We’re going to head into our meetings in Kansas City and I think we need to have a very frank conversation about where we’re going and who’s going to be on the plane when we take off.” Mr. Beebe said. “I will be very direct and talk about that with our membership and want to find out. It would be a shame, given that all boats have risen with this tide that’s been created in the Big 12, for anybody to think they’re going to have a better future somewhere else.”

Maybe if Beebe weren't so "South-centric," the Big XII wouldn't be in the situation it finds itself in today.

• Fire 1

LOL, this basically confirms what has already been reported. Sorry Beebe, too little, too late. The Big 12 was a doomed league as T.O. prognosticated, and for you to say we dont have a brighter future elsewhere just proves your ignorance. The Big12 has only given a thought to TV now that the Big10 is going to poach 2 of your teams. How do you compete with an already established TV network that is assuradly going to give us 30-40 million in extra revenue a year? The answer, you don't. Beebe you are an idiot that created this mess by not leading. I cant wait to jump ship. Oh and :espnsucks:

Ive talked directly with Jim (referring to Big X commissioner Delaney), Mr. Beebe said. I understand what hes doing, wheres hes coming from. Maybe I would do it similarly if I were in his situation, maybe I wouldnt. But Im going to protect our interests Texas. We need to move forward and have a direction people need to buy into and move forward.

There, Dan, I fixed it for you :thumbs

• Fire 1

that is funny, beebe is trying to act like he has power or influence.

edit: beebe was hired to be a mouth piece for UT, he is maintaining that role. i wonder if UT is getting worried about be left out, left in the big 12 where the south will be UT and the rest of Texas.

Does anyone know what kind of ultimatum Beebe could use? There really is nothing the Big12 can give us that would out pace what we would get from the Big10. Is there anyway he would boot us from the Big12? I just see this as an empty threat.

Does anyone know what kind of ultimatum Beebe could use? There really is nothing the Big12 can give us that would out pace what we would get from the Big10. Is there anyway he would boot us from the Big12? I just see this as an empty threat.

That's what I was thinking. He is impotent as a commissioner, and if we are going to leave, what is this going to due, ensure that we leave even earlier? How will this conversation go:

Dan: "Tom, you'd better decide right now if you want to stay with us or go to the Big 10!!!!'

TO: "Okay, thanks Dan. It was nice knowing you. Oh, and good luck with TCU, Houston, and Colorado State, while were making over 20 million per year."

I love it that he's been asleep behind the wheel, and now he's trying to captain a sinking ship. This is all his and Texass' doing. They ruined the SWC, now they are ruining the Big 12.

Wouldn't that be awesome, really? He could boot us from the Texas 12, we could start Big 10 play earlier, and I don't think that we would have to pay the penalty for leaving. But I could be wrong.

Dan Beebe sounds like Communist propaganda spin doctor.

This conference has done nothing but suffer under his leadership. When schools are looking around like we and Mizzou, who have been relevant competitors, it is generally not a good sign.

I could see Beebe losing his job and we staying but he better get the boot and the big XII leadership better make a move soon too save the conference.

There is nothing the Big XII can do outside the contract to any school has to make them stay. And if they want to leave, why should they want to give them ultimatums to make them stay? This is way too little too late, they should have looked at upgrading the Big XII and bringing other schools in, like a TCU or Arkansas or Iowa. They are way behind the 8 ball on this whole thing. All they can do is sit back and pray that nobody jumps, and I think that is a foregone conclusion at this point. There will be changes.

Like people are saying, he has no leverage and he has nothing to offer. If I were in his role, I would honestly do the same thing. As in, I'd want to find out intentions so you could work on your next steps as far as what to do. That is just business. The tough talk is just him trying to cover his arse and look tough and like he tried to do something to appease UT and everyone else and maybe vilify the defecting schools.

Like we've (you've) been saying...too little, too late. The Pac-10 thing isn't even going to be a factor, no matter what is dangled in front of NU. Reason being is that there is nothing academically that would be added that I can see. Yes, this is about money and sports but as we've said, there is the academic aspect that can't be overlooked and that won't be there with the Pac-10 stuff we've heard.

The remaining Big 12 will be just fine because they'll do that Pac-10 thing to get more money for UT....um, I mean the Big 12. It will be a new version of what happened to the Big 12 with UT, USC and maybe UCLA/OU/ATM being the ones people whine about as far as their part of the pie. I don't know though...I don't know what UT wants to battle USC because those are two biiiiig egos.

I wonder how much it would cost the Big 10 for the naming rights for the Big 16? Obviously there won't be a need for the current Big 12 to have those names anyway.

I wonder how much it would cost the Big 10 for the naming rights for the Big 16? Obviously there won't be a need for the current Big 12 to have those names anyway.

I don't see the Big 10 changing its name any time soon. Even if they ended up with 16 teams, I don't think they will change the name.