Any aquarium enthusiasts?

I have a 125g setup w/ Lake Malawi cichlids and one fairly large plecostomus. They are a lot of work, though if you keep on top of it should only take a few hours a month to keep a healthy environment. (IMO)

How big is your Pleco compared to your cichlids. I purchased to Plecos to go with our cichlids and they killed them both. I went back and they told me that I need one at least as big as the Cichlids. So, I bought one slightly bigger than them and he still does nothing but hide out in the corner and they constantly are going after the poor guy. I'm sure he will be dead soon too.

I have a 125g setup w/ Lake Malawi cichlids and one fairly large plecostomus. They are a lot of work, though if you keep on top of it should only take a few hours a month to keep a healthy environment. (IMO)

How big is your Pleco compared to your cichlids. I purchased to Plecos to go with our cichlids and they killed them both. I went back and they told me that I need one at least as big as the Cichlids. So, I bought one slightly bigger than them and he still does nothing but hide out in the corner and they constantly are going after the poor guy. I'm sure he will be dead soon too.

He is twice as big (10") as the largest cichlid I have in the tank. He roams the tank pretty freely and even skims the top while I feed them with no issues. I only have 10 cichlids in the tank...they have plenty of room/cover to 'claim' territory for themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a little 20g tank. Not going with anything bigger until the kids are old enough that I can trust them not to do something tragic to it.

I've got it stocked with tiger barbs (aka the Sea Pigs), cory cats, an oto, and a blue gourami. Bob the gourami and the sea pigs spend their time glaring at each other from behind various plants, so they don't have time to pester the catfish.

• Fire 1
  • 5 months later...

Noticed the my peacock bass has started to develop cloudy eye..Started salting the tank and 30% water changes.

Adding melafix and raising the temp a bit might help as well. (If the water changes don't help)

It's currently at 80. I'm sure the bass would tolerate 85 pretty well. However, I don't wanna raise it too much and strain my channel cat and green sunfish. And I already added something similar to melafix.

• 6 years later...

My brother is a fish tank wizard and has a couple saltwater ones and they are really neat to look at.  Some of the coral he has in them cost upwards of $5K and the fish are just as pricey.  He also has a fresh water one that has a couple alligator gar in it.  Those are fun to watch when it is feeding time.  

5 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Just cycled a 55g for Cichlids. Tank is finally turning 2 ppm of Ammonia to Nitrite to Nitrate in 24 hours. Have 16 Juvi Demasoni on the way. It's my first tank - tons of caves and rock work. Gonna do a big 80% water change to get nitrates down before the big day next week. I'm Giddy. 

They turn into little a-holes fyi