6 is a little high for me

Sipple has the huskers at 6 heading into the preseason. http://huskerextra.com/articles/2010/08/01/football/doc4c54d19cac363312722399.txt

THis to me is very high, i know came off the big win over Arizona in the Holiday bowl, but i still need to see improvement on the feild before the koolaid is flowing freely.

There are too many question marks IMO on both sides of the ball.

I have concerns about our health and development at O line and QB. I also need to see consistancy from the pass catchers.

On D we will be young at safety, LB and D line reserves. I have heard nothing but good things from the depth and youth on our team, but id like to see them in action before i make and predictions.

If i had a vote, the huskers would be between 12-15. Id like to see them prove it first.

Big road game at Washington would be a great victory as Locker is getting heisman pub.

Couldn't agree more, but maybe 9-12 for me.

The Arizona game was a great, well played game, but they sucked. They were really unprepared, undisciplined, and acted like they didn't want to be there. I think alot of our ranking has to do with how be destroyed them and I just don't know if they were a good gauge.

I would prefer that we start out much lower(since it doesn't matter much anyway) and focus on each game,getting better in every aspect and gaining the respect of the coaches and writers around the country, rather then start out with this much hype and risk losing our high ranking if we're not ready to be there yet.

I saw that and thought "Oh god, Sip is an AP voter?"

The AP is generally regarded as meaningless, but shouldn't they vet this process and give it to more balanced voters? If the votes are just distributed to homers of different schools, what's the point of that. Why not have a (smaller maybe) collection of people who cover nationally and don't have strong personal favorites or teams they know way more about?

Sipple loves Nebraska and is always optimistic about Nebraska. His glass of :koolaid2: is overflowing. Makes him a terrible AP voter.

Where did we finish last year? 14? After spending most of it ranked much lower...I wouldn't put us any higher than 15 heading into this year. 15 is pretty high to begin with, just generally speaking. Let's work our way up from there and prove we belong this year.

The Arizona game was a great, well played game, but they sucked. They were really unprepared, undisciplined, and acted like they didn't want to be there. I think alot of our ranking has to do with how be destroyed them and I just don't know if they were a good gauge.

I would prefer that we start out much lower(since it doesn't matter much anyway) and focus on each game,getting better in every aspect and gaining the respect of the coaches and writers around the country, rather then start out with this much hype and risk losing our high ranking if we're not ready to be there yet.

THIS!!! It really took me a while to really figure out why Nebraska is being (over)hyped heading into the 2010 season. Part of it may also have to do with our tremendously weak schedule. While on paper it looks that way, however it may not be the case after 2-3 weeks. I figure Sip is just another one of those Husker Fans that thought Bill Callahan had a shot to make it work here too. One of those guys that thinks Nebraska is all that and a bag of chips. (Well I guess we are)

Now I believe we will be better....AS A TEAM. Better on Defense? No. Just as good? eh, it'll be close. Definitely better on offense if Zac Lee/Taylor Martinez start. I'm sorry but Cody Green is not going to start here whether we have a pass happy offense or a spread power run game, I'll tell you why.

Cody Green obviously needs to improve his passing if he wants to see the field. Meaning, no more staring down recievers. No one hops to the 5 yard out route (good god). No passes behind recievers on the simple slant. Now for those of you who think of Cody Green as a running QB. Cody Green is not a running quarterback. He is a fast Quarterback, not a running one. There is a difference. Example - Jared Zabransky (Boise St 2006) if any of you remember him....he was a fast downhill running qb without any lateral movement. A true duel threat qb is on that is just as quick laterally as he is running north and south (Taylor Martinez). If you want the best example ever...Vince Young.

Go back and watch Cody's run vs FAU...first he takes forever to get the corner and get up field (part of that is due to pursuit angles, yes I know, I'm not an idiot) second, toward the end of the run...he should be able to put a single move on the last defender, however doesn't because he can't sidestep, juke, whatever you wanna call it. It was right there that I was initially impressed with him that when I saw that I was disappointed to some extent. Now I know its probably not fair to call the kid out at all, because I'm sure he's working hard for the starting job. However I've always said that an offense is only as good as its quarterback. Unless you have a dual headed monster at running back like Bama has. (Ingram n Richardson)...no Helu and Burkhead are not on that level.

but anyway, enough with the negativity because in all honesty I think Nebraska will be freakin good because I trust the coaching staff to make the right decisions. 12-0 or bust! :koolaid2:

I think anything higher than 11 is being unrealistic. Majority of the offseason questions weighed heavily on offense with a few questions about the defense. We know our defense can perform but can the offense take the offensive production from the Holiday Bowl and translate that into the 2010 season?

I think anything higher than 11 is being unrealistic. Majority of the offseason questions weighed heavily on offense with a few questions about the defense. We know our defense can perform but can the offense take the offensive production from the Holiday Bowl and translate that into the 2010 season?

after 6 games we know where we stand...

THIS!!! It really took me a while to really figure out why Nebraska is being (over)hyped heading into the 2010 season. Part of it may also have to do with our tremendously weak schedule. While on paper it looks that way, however it may not be the case after 2-3 weeks. I figure Sip is just another one of those Husker Fans that thought Bill Callahan had a shot to make it work here too. One of those guys that thinks Nebraska is all that and a bag of chips. (Well I guess we are)

Now I believe we will be better....AS A TEAM. Better on Defense? No. Just as good? eh, it'll be close. Definitely better on offense if Zac Lee/Taylor Martinez start. I'm sorry but Cody Green is not going to start here whether we have a pass happy offense or a spread power run game, I'll tell you why.

Cody Green obviously needs to improve his passing if he wants to see the field. Meaning, no more staring down recievers. No one hops to the 5 yard out route (good god). No passes behind recievers on the simple slant. Now for those of you who think of Cody Green as a running QB. Cody Green is not a running quarterback. He is a fast Quarterback, not a running one. There is a difference. Example - Jared Zabransky (Boise St 2006) if any of you remember him....he was a fast downhill running qb without any lateral movement. A true duel threat qb is on that is just as quick laterally as he is running north and south (Taylor Martinez). If you want the best example ever...Vince Young.

Go back and watch Cody's run vs FAU...first he takes forever to get the corner and get up field (part of that is due to pursuit angles, yes I know, I'm not an idiot) second, toward the end of the run...he should be able to put a single move on the last defender, however doesn't because he can't sidestep, juke, whatever you wanna call it. It was right there that I was initially impressed with him that when I saw that I was disappointed to some extent. Now I know its probably not fair to call the kid out at all, because I'm sure he's working hard for the starting job. However I've always said that an offense is only as good as its quarterback. Unless you have a dual headed monster at running back like Bama has. (Ingram n Richardson)...no Helu and Burkhead are not on that level.

but anyway, enough with the negativity because in all honesty I think Nebraska will be freakin good because I trust the coaching staff to make the right decisions. 12-0 or bust! :koolaid2:

Yeah, I wish people wouldn't bomb on Cody so much. I'm a huge fan of Martinez, and think that his speed could definitely bring a different aspect to our O, but I still believe in Cody. For one thing, he was an 18 year old Freshman with stars still in his eyes thrown into the fray and handed the reigns to a top 5 all time college program's offense last year. To ask him to be spectacular would be unfair. Somebody like Frazier excelling as a frosh is definitely the rule, not the exception.

Also, Cody probably IS working very hard to earn a starting job back, as you've stated. He got a taste last year then had to relinquish it. I'd wager he definitely wants to lead this team again. And he's now spent a whole off season under the guidance of Wats, which should definitely help him improve... especially with himself and Martinez taking all the reps during the spring. The kid has potential yet.

after 6 games we know where we stand...

i believe nu will loose 2 games, and if they have a great year, loose 1 game.....their offense has to prove something to me first,,,though lee could be better and prove me wrong...the schedule is hugely in nu,s favor. ranking at 11 is realistic to me, not number 1.

Looking at what everybody else has this year, I would say we are a Top 10 team. The SEC is, IMHO, going to be uncharacteristically weak. Alabama is the only "sure thing" going in that conference. I don't believe the Florida hype. Remember they were 9-4 the year Tebow took over and I doubt the new kid is as good as he. Plus they lose a lot on the defensive side of the ball. Really, the Big 10 has Ohio State and Iowa. Maybe Wisconsin but let's give them top 10. Boise will have a high ranking, as they should. Who from the Pac 10 should be ranked ahead of Nebraska?

So I say...

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Oklahoma

4. Boise State

5. TCU

6. Iowa

7. Texas

8. Nebraska

9. Wisconsin

10. Florida State

11. Florida

Before you think Nebraska is being overhyped, you have to look at what every other team brings back. I understand why some of us are hesitant (2007 anyone?). Somebody go through and name me 10 teams that return more and have the schedule set up like Nebraska to win a lot of games? Remember, rankings are relative to the level of everyone else.

Looking at what everybody else has this year, I would say we are a Top 10 team. The SEC is, IMHO, going to be uncharacteristically weak. Alabama is the only "sure thing" going in that conference. I don't believe the Florida hype. Remember they were 9-4 the year Tebow took over and I doubt the new kid is as good as he. Plus they lose a lot on the defensive side of the ball. Really, the Big 10 has Ohio State Nebraska and Iowa. Maybe Wisconsin but let's give them top 10. Boise will have a high ranking, as they should. Who from the Pac 10 should be ranked ahead of Nebraska?

So I say...

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Oklahoma

4. Boise State

5. TCU

6. Iowa

7. Texas

8. Nebraska

9. Wisconsin

10. Florida State

11. Florida

Before you think Nebraska is being overhyped, you have to look at what every other team brings back. I understand why some of us are hesitant (2007 anyone?). Somebody go through and name me 10 teams that return more and have the schedule set up like Nebraska to win a lot of games? Remember, rankings are relative to the level of everyone else.

As far as I am concerned.

Looking at what everybody else has this year, I would say we are a Top 10 team. The SEC is, IMHO, going to be uncharacteristically weak. Alabama is the only "sure thing" going in that conference. I don't believe the Florida hype. Remember they were 9-4 the year Tebow took over and I doubt the new kid is as good as he. Plus they lose a lot on the defensive side of the ball. Really, the Big 10 has Ohio State and Iowa. Maybe Wisconsin but let's give them top 10. Boise will have a high ranking, as they should. Who from the Pac 10 should be ranked ahead of Nebraska?

So I say...

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Oklahoma

4. Boise State

5. TCU

6. Iowa

7. Texas

8. Nebraska

9. Wisconsin

10. Florida State

11. Florida

Nebraska is easily a top 5 school based on those teams. Half of those teams have issues with replacing pro QBs or having a 2 starters coming back on the line, etc, etc. Bama loses a lot on their D, 7 or 8 starters I think. edit: Alabama has to replace nine full-time starters, including three All-Americans -- McClain, tackle Terrence Cody and cornerback Javier Arenas. NU showed they could play with Texas and OU last year, UT played Alabama tough for having a true freshman come in last minute. Colt scores 35 to 42 against BAMA. Colt scores one touchdown and two gift FG's on Nebraska. So, NU can hang with everyone one of those teams and if we (Finish.01) in 2010, we have a chance to run the table and play for all the marbles. If our O-Line can dominate then we will score on everyone and our D will keep us in every game. :koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

Just to be a naysayer Missouri is bringing back quite a few good players :dunno

I want to believe we are Top 10 but will be agnostic until after the Washington game, then I will believe we are going to be really good or still in the process. Damn I hate these splinters from the fence. ouch

GBR

win or lose they are my team till I take a dirt nap