6 is a little high for me

The last time I checked Bo Pelini was the coach

This is something you check? How often? Is it a daily check, or weekly?

How do you check? Do you call down to the Athletic Offices, or drop by on Tuesday afternoons? Or are you secretly stalking Bo, and you have him under surveillance?

;)

I friended him on facebook. ;)

Clever! Hiding in plain sight.

I walk over to campus every day or so (when it's not crazy blazing hot), so if you need a guy "on the ground" I can help. I blend in pretty well.

The point of the post was someone comparing NU to Ole Miss last year. I don't think the two coaches are the same. :bang:wtf:bang

I noticed people tend to take 4 words from a 500 word post and jump on those. I should shorten my posts but I usually like to back them up with my reasons for my opinions.

Maybe next time, I should say, "Houston sucks, Bo rules"!!!

I still think we need to beat a highly ranked opponent before we can start climbing to the top of the polls.

Dont get me wrong, i love the preseason hype and pub, its great for the program.

The OU victory last year was great, but they were down to all americans and a young Oline.

Close but no cigar against texas was nice, but still a loss, same with VT.

All im saying is win a big one and consistantly be in every game(i know we lost 3 games by combined 6 points or whatever,

but they were still games that we couldnt find the way to win.

They are a very dangerous non-BCS team, and we all saw them in a high scoring dog fight against Bowling Green last season. Again, not saying we lose, but I think it's closer than what the experts think. (To steal a line from Lee Corso.)

Huh? :facepalm::blink:

Edit: I thought BG vs NU in a high scoring game a la he-who-is-not-to-be-named

Haha...yeah I had said, "We all saw them..." because I was (impatiently) waiting for that game to end before the Holiday Bowl started.

I completely and whole-heartedly agree that Bo Pelini is a better coach than Houston Nutt, and yes, I do know which one is coaching the Huskers this season ;) Again, IF the defense hasn't lost a beat without Suh, and IF the offensive line has improved, then we probably will be a 10-11 win football team. Right now, if I were to believe that, I would be going completely on my faith in Pelini. Actions do speak louder than words. Let's see if he's right. He probably is, but who knows until the start of the season? I guess I'm not quite convinced we are a top 5 team right now.

A lot of polls have us in the top 5 ahead of Texas. I think that NU fans needs to start thinking of where Bo has this program in 2 to 3 short years. So at the end of last season Bo had this team ready to play with anyone. That anyone is Texas, Alabama, Florida etc.

This leads me to my next question. Do you think Alabama or Texas would potentially lose to all those teams you just mentioned and have a 5 or 6 loss season? I don't and NU fans should start to think of top 5 and top 5 schools don't lose 5 and 6 games on the schedule we have this year.

Most of the teams on that short 6 list had multiple losses of more than 5 games, only UT is exempt from that list. Only Texas brings in a D that can compete with NU. Mizzou brings back a lot of players from a defense that didn't perform that well.

I don't see more than 2 losses max and a chance to run the table and go undefeated is just as likely as losing 2 games.

A lot of polls had Mississippi last year in the Top 5. They ended up losing 4 games. It's where you end up at the end of the season. This will be my final comparison to 2007, but weren't we as high as #14 in one point in the season? We aren't a top 5 school until we actually finish the season in the top 5. Right now we are a top 15 school, and 5-6 losses is a possibility. We did gain some ground, but there is no way we are a Texas or Alabama caliber team yet. Yes, we did take Texas down to the final second, but that doesn't necessarily mean we can produce an entire season with the success they had. And to answer your question, no program in this era of football is immune from 5-6 losses given some bad breaks and serious breakdowns.

Also, many of Nebraska close calls last year were against teams that had 5 + losses. Heck, we lost to a team that had 6 losses last year. I'm glad you are very optimistic about the season, and hopefully after seeing the Washington game I will share that enthusiasm, but I think you're basing a lot of this season on "best-case scenario" which is rare, but could happen.

The last time I checked Bo Pelini was the coach here and not Houston Nutz. Pretty much says it all. His defense won the scoring title last season after inheriting the 117th best defense from 2007. 4 starters return on a O-Line that has J. Hardwick coming in to take a starting spot and they will be much improved. If you look at the D this team will have, I think he competes for another scoring title, and look at the schedule, we look good. Bo is on record saying that it take 3 years to smell what he is cooking, or buy into the system he has on defense. In simple terms, this is the 3rd year. When the coach says he expects to be 5 times better than last year, he has finger on the pulse of this team and knows what he has. Go back to the O-line, you control the lines and you control the game.

I think you need to listen to Bo Pelini, he is very focused and I doubt he will let this team lose focus in 2010. If he says we are going to be good this year, which 5 times better is pretty good, I believe him. In Dec we can revisit this topic. I stand by my posts here and let's see how this season plays out. I am a NU homer but I try to look at the facts. Case in point, I was pumped a few years ago when B Gabbert signed on. I called a fellow NU and told him that we will play for NC's with him at the helm. Now, I was bummed when he decommitted, but very happy when BC got booted. Just think of what would of happened last year if B Gabbert QB'd this team with that D and his ability. I see only 1 loss on the books potentially, that was the TTU game. This is complete fantasy but if he stayed, not only would he have been the QB last year he would've been playing as a true sophomore and this team has 1 loss and is playing in a BCS bowl or maybe in Pasadena last year. I thought Blaine had the ability to bring us back to play for NC's but in reality it is Bo Pelini that has NU in the position today. NU schedule is pretty easy, sit back and enjoy the ride and let Bo Pelini earn his money. Anything more than 2 losses for this year and I think NU isn't living up to their potential for this year.

Sipple has the huskers at 6 heading into the preseason. http://huskerextra.com/articles/2010/08/01/football/doc4c54d19cac363312722399.txt

THis to me is very high, i know came off the big win over Arizona in the Holiday bowl, but i still need to see improvement on the feild before the koolaid is flowing freely.

There are too many question marks IMO on both sides of the ball.

I have concerns about our health and development at O line and QB. I also need to see consistancy from the pass catchers.

On D we will be young at safety, LB and D line reserves. I have heard nothing but good things from the depth and youth on our team, but id like to see them in action before i make and predictions.

If i had a vote, the huskers would be between 12-15. Id like to see them prove it first.

Big road game at Washington would be a great victory as Locker is getting heisman pub.

Kind of agree. Would like to go into the season with a lower ranking and then let the wins speak for themselves.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

I am totally fired up with a preseason top 10 ranking. IMO, it's about darned time. We've all waited a long time for it. Paint a bullseye on our back and bring all comers, kids tend to play up to - or down to - the level of expectations.

Do I think we're all the way back and have a cakewalk to the MNC? No, I don't have that much Koolaid. What I do believe is that these kids earned a lot of respect the past couple of years, especially the tag end of last season and that the program is reaping the rewards of some of that respect. Again, it's about darned time.

Time for the Wabash Cannonball! :cheers (obscure?)

AbqRed

I think Iowa should be ranked #1 followed by Texas, Oklahoma and then Nebraska...

After we demolish Iowa and watch them tumble down to #217 or something, Texas would move up to #1. ISU would proceed to destroy them, thus moving Oklahoma up to #1. After Iowa State pounds the Sooners, Nebraska would attain the #1 spot and be the king of college football...

Until we tear the Huskers apart, thus setting the stage for Iowa State to be the top ranked team in all of college football.

Kinda boggles the mind don't it... <_<

I look around and there really isnt a handful of dominating teams this season as we've seen over the past 5+ years. Most of the stud QBs are gone, USC is going through chaos, and besides Bama as the returning champs, why not lump the Huskers in with the rest (Iowa, Boise State, etc).

Besides, preseaon polls are just a guessing game. Full of fun and debatable stuff for all fans.

Lets kick it off!

bigredn.png

I think Iowa should be ranked #1 followed by Texas, Oklahoma and then Nebraska...

After we demolish Iowa and watch them tumble down to #217 or something, Texas would move up to #1. ISU would proceed to destroy them, thus moving Oklahoma up to #1. After Iowa State pounds the Sooners, Nebraska would attain the #1 spot and be the king of college football...

Until we tear the Huskers apart, thus setting the stage for Iowa State to be the top ranked team in all of college football.

what boggles the mind is how isu has the toughest schedule in the history of football.

I've missed you, Cy. hug.gif

As sound as we were at the end of last year- I would honestly have us at 1 or 2.

Trying to predict preseason is a waste of time. IMO I would say we are easily top 3.

The enthusiasm is good, but Nebraska doesn't deserve to be that high. Other teams have fewer questions and more stability at key positions. Alabama, for example, returns a national championship winning quarterback and a Heisman Trophy running back. Can't really get any more stable than that at arguably the two most important positions.