Possible Bad News...

This really does stink, but at least it should open up the competition for both the left tackle spot and the #2 center position. We have a lot of young guys who have a big chance to step up.

Smith was not in the mix for LT, Nick Ash has been added back to the 105 before Smith's injury which may provide a little more depth. This will be the good news of the fantastic line coming in next year, is that we can afford to not redshirt some of this years freshmen on the line if needed for depth.

Considering his situation, he could have been in the mix for a lot of position. He had been shuffled to guard and center but I wouldn't have counted him out if depth became an issue.

Honestly I think we'll be OK...it's tough, but we absorb these kinds of injuries every year, just like every team does. Caputo is poised to be one of our best centers in a while, and we could have suffered a worse blow (and could suffer one yet) than to lose his backup. He does have experience and could play in a lot of positions, but at least at both end spots, there are two different sets of players battling at the 2-deep (Sirles I think, and Hardrick on the left and Marcel/DJ on the right).

Honestly I think we'll be OK...it's tough, but we absorb these kinds of injuries every year, just like every team does. Caputo is poised to be one of our best centers in a while, and we could have suffered a worse blow (and could suffer one yet) than to lose his backup. He does have experience and could play in a lot of positions, but at least at both end spots, there are two different sets of players battling at the 2-deep (Sirles I think, and Hardrick on the left and Marcel/DJ on the right).

You mean like Hickman

"You fly jets long enough, things like this will happen. He's not the first and won't be the last. You gotta let him go." - Viper giving Maverick a pep talk in the mens room.

That movie provides a line for every situation one could find himself in. I attempt to work one in everyday, looks like i got todays "Top Gun" quote out of the way.

A fracture is far less problematic than a severe sprain. They heal more quickly and present a far easier rehabilitation process. His season may not be over unless they decide to go the redshirt route.

There's been talk of it being a "bad break," so who knows what that could do to him. And they're already talking about a medical redshirt being just about guaranteed.

http://my.journalstar.com/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog

Husker coach Bo Pelini confirmed that offensive lineman Mike Smith is out for the year. The senior from Las Vegas suffered a broken leg during Tuesday's practice.

Possible medical hardship there?

"It's up to him," Pelini said. "Yeah, we'd like to have him. It's a pretty clean break. It will be something he'll recover fully from. It will be a little while but it's his decision, a family decision but I anticipate he'll want to come out for another year."

I have read people questioning Caputo's size and speculating that the Smith move was to see if he could unseat Caputo. Mute point now, but on the size issue, may I submit a pro center that did quite well at about Caputo's size.

Mark Stepnoski #53 CBirth Date January 20, 1967

Birth Place Erie, PA

Height 6-2

Weight 265 lbs.