QB Race

RATINGS FROM BEST TO WORST IN EACH CATEGORY

Upside- 1.T mart, 2.Green, 3.Lee

Accuracy- 1.lee, 2.Green and tmart tie.

arm strength- 1.Green, 2.tmart and lee tie

speed- 1.t mart, 2.green, 3.lee

experience- 1.lee, 2.green, 3.martinez

Based on these categories you have to start Green. He is the only QB that isn't ranked last in any of the categories.

Are there any important categories that i'm missing that would be important?

Should the criterion be add up all the values and let the lowest value decide who starts. You're using an ordinal scale (ranked, but the difference between 1 and 2 isn't twice as much) so it would be silly to say the person who has no last place finishes should clearly be started.

That being said the scores were

Lee-11

Green-9

Tmart-9

So by your system, either Tmart or Green should start. Sorry for being a smart(synonym for a donkey here) but seems kinda arbitrary in a lot ways, but good start to a discussion.

You forgot to add in the most important category (according to a couple of "insiders"):

In the coaches doghouse:

Tmart - 0

Green - 0

Lee - minus 10

So the new totals would be:

Tmart - 9

Green - 9

Lee - 1

Which is why Tmart and Green are co-starters and Lee is 3rd string.

Crouch was a redshirt freshman, and it was due to Bobby Newcombe's injury. Just for what it's worth.

The original question was "when the heck has Nebraska started a RS Freshmen?" So I answered it. Believe that there was a huge controversy surrounding Newcombe vs Crouch as well.

This couldn't have been brought up in the QB Race thread? We had to start a new one?

For each day that Bo doesn't announce who the starter, a new thread is born.

And unfortunately, WHEN that starter is announced, there will be at least one thread per day stating why this QB or that QB should have been named the starter instead. Bank on it

I would like to know which QB the OP is friends with or family of...

This is a place to discuss all things Huskers is it not? I mean, you seem like you've been here quite a long time and made quite a few comments........maybe ease up and let Husker fans discuss what they choose to discuss. There are many other threads here if you don't like this one.

It has nothing to do with wanting to discuss Husker Football, but everything to do with the fact that starting a new thread to beat the same dead horse is not necessary. If there is a thread that is recent that discusses the same thing, click on that one, and post in it. It will go to the top just like creating a new thread will.

It does appear that we will be starting a RS Freshmen QB this Saturday. Whether it stays that way until UDub, we will not know. Last year when we played OU Cody Green tightened up so much and got so nervous it was lights out and we all knew that we needed Lee in there. It better not be the same way with Taylor against UT if he starts that long. This freshmen needs to grow up in a hurry. I personally will get mad if freshmen mistakes are made against big time opponents like UT. The time to grow up is now "T-Magic."

Crouch was a redshirt freshman, and it was due to Bobby Newcombe's injury. Just for what it's worth.

The original question was "when the heck has Nebraska started a RS Freshmen?" So I answered it. Believe that there was a huge controversy surrounding Newcombe vs Crouch as well.

Oh yea - I got you on that. Was not disputing your point. Just that the last time we started a RS Freshman was back in '98, and that was only as a result of injury to the starter. Green of course, had a single game and a couple drives, and doesn't really count.

Based on these categories you have to start Green. He is the only QB that isn't ranked last in any of the categories.

The shortsightedness of drawing such a conclusion from such a list is plain as day. Not all ratings have the same importance, and not all 1-2-3 separations are equal.

FWIW, I'll ask: If Lee is a guy that if we all get behind, easily delivers us 10 wins, just where does the upside argument come in? What about "10+ wins" is worth trading for "more upside"? 8-12 over 10-12?

And Lee has the best arm strength, not really close on this category.

It does seem like Bo really is gonna start Taylor Magic, so I'm going to grit my teeth and get ready to watch another frustrating season of offense. This D better be ready to play, because it could be a maddening year. I'm going to go ahead and predict that with Taylor at the helm as a fulltime starter this year, we win 8 regular season games (pre CCG, if we make it).

• Fire 1

It does appear that we will be starting a RS Freshmen QB this Saturday. Whether it stays that way until UDub, we will not know. Last year when we played OU Cody Green tightened up so much and got so nervous it was lights out and we all knew that we needed Lee in there. It better not be the same way with Taylor against UT if he starts that long. This freshmen needs to grow up in a hurry. I personally will get mad if freshmen mistakes are made against big time opponents like UT. The time to grow up is now "T-Magic."

Damn EZ, could you dislike this kid any more? Cut the kid a little slack, because if Taylor starts and performs reasonably well all this hostility will seem a bit petty, no?

You forgot to add in the most important category (according to a couple of "insiders"):

In the coaches doghouse:

Tmart - 0

Green - 0

Lee - minus 10

So the new totals would be:

Tmart - 9

Green - 9

Lee - 1

Which is why Tmart and Green are co-starters and Lee is 3rd string.

Too true.

The coaches and their teenage grudges consistently make me - :facepalm:

Last year with Dillard, and now with Lee. Even worse when I have heard Lee has been by far the most consistent QB we have had in camp.

It's just stupid.

My understanding of the Dillard situation last year must be missing something, because as far as I remember, he was not in playing shape and was (understandably) put at the back of the line until he got his head on straight. There's Hatfield/McCoy and then there's reasonable expectations. I don't know what Bo's deal is with Lee––assuming there even is one––except for the fact that he's not Tommie Frazier with the option and never will be. See Holiday Bowl performance for an answer to that.

Oh yea - I got you on that. Was not disputing your point. Just that the last time we started a RS Freshman was back in '98, and that was only as a result of injury to the starter. Green of course, had a single game and a couple drives, and doesn't really count.

The shortsightedness of drawing such a conclusion from such a list is plain as day. Not all ratings have the same importance, and not all 1-2-3 separations are equal.

FWIW, I'll ask: If Lee is a guy that if we all get behind, easily delivers us 10 wins, just where does the upside argument come in? What about "10+ wins" is worth trading for "more upside"? 8-12 over 10-12?

And Lee has the best arm strength, not really close on this category.

It does seem like Bo really is gonna start Taylor Magic, so I'm going to grit my teeth and get ready to watch another frustrating season of offense. This D better be ready to play, because it could be a maddening year. I'm going to go ahead and predict that with Taylor at the helm as a fulltime starter this year, we win 8 regular season games (pre CCG, if we make it).

The upside might be finding a offense that scores more then 10 points against good teams and can ease the burrden off the defense of not having to shut the other team down every game.

Just wondering how many games did Lee actualy have a hand in winning compared to Alex Henery or the defense? Now if T - Mart comes in and averages 21 points a game against good competition and loses a few is everyone going to blame T - Mart or the defense?

If Zac Lee never starts another game for the team, he will forever be judged by his 2009 season. A season in which the entire offense was banged up at a variety of positions and through several layers of depth, and a season in which he played through an injury at some (bad, bad) advice from an apparently clueless medical staff, and wound up with (I'm quoting EZE on this one) an injury to his throwing arm that is to quarterbacks what an ACL injury is to running backs.

We'll always assume that is the extent of Lee's skillset and performance ability.

REDSTEEL, you're assuming that the "get behind Lee" option involves seeing the same kind of performance we saw last year. Under the circumstances I would argue different.

About Martinez starting, some posters are absolutely giddy at the prospect. I would temper those expectations or it's gonna be one heck of an ugly year on the message board front. If we're going to get behind Martinez all the way...we should be ready for a madly inconsistent offense, rather than a steady presence who should be much improved (along with the O as a whole).

If Zac Lee never starts another game for the team, he will forever be judged by his 2009 season. A season in which the entire offense was banged up at a variety of positions and through several layers of depth, and a season in which he played through an injury at some (bad, bad) advice from an apparently clueless medical staff, and wound up with (I'm quoting EZE on this one) an injury to his throwing arm that is to quarterbacks what an ACL injury is to running backs.

We'll always assume that is the extent of Lee's skillset and performance ability.

REDSTEEL, you're assuming that the "get behind Lee" option involves seeing the same kind of performance we saw last year. Under the circumstances I would argue different.

In reality I think it has more to do with Watson offense then the QB. This offense has never been competitive against good defenses, unless the team so far ahead that the other team defense lets up IE Oklahoma 2008.

In reality I think it has more to do with Watson offense then the QB. This offense has never been competitive against good defenses, unless the team so far ahead that the other team defense lets up IE Oklahoma 2008.

You just said 2 completely different things. First post you blamed Lee. Now you're blaming Watson. Which is it? Because if you're doing what zoogies said and assuming that the 2009 offense under Lee is the best Lee can do you are way off base.

Well, I'd argue is that the reality is we've never had a lot of talent against the elite talent on defenses that we've faced (OU 2008). Ganz never had any business putting up the type of year he did in '08, nor did Taylor in '06. We had something going in '07, maybe, but that team had deep, deep problems that had nothing to do with talent. You can give anyone Florida or Texas level talent on offense and watch them steamroll competitive defenses...but Watson had Zac Taylor and Joe Ganz, and made as much of them as anyone could have, IMO.

At this point I'd be pretty surprised if Lee starts. Campus chatter is suggesting otherwise. At this point, I hope all three QB's get a lot of time. Obviously, I want the best QB on the field for this season, but man...I really hope if Lee starts all the games this year, our backup can get a lot of reps...because the Big 10 has just thrown Nebraska to the wolves for 2011. Nebraska cannot afford to have a green QB next season.