QB Race

10. Nebraska: The quarterback thing is puzzling. Bo Pelini either doesn't have a go-to guy or he's sandbagging. The long-term guess is redshirt freshman Taylor Martinez, who lit up the spring, eventually will get the job. What's the worst that could happen? Nebraska doesn't live up to the hype and finishes 9-3. linky

Dennis Dodd predicts T-Mart. Eventually. That's not to say I think Dennis Dodd has any clue whatsoever about NU football.

It does appear that we will be starting a RS Freshmen QB this Saturday. Whether it stays that way until UDub, we will not know. Last year when we played OU Cody Green tightened up so much and got so nervous it was lights out and we all knew that we needed Lee in there. It better not be the same way with Taylor against UT if he starts that long. This freshmen needs to grow up in a hurry. I personally will get mad if freshmen mistakes are made against big time opponents like UT. The time to grow up is now "T-Magic."

Damn EZ, could you dislike this kid any more? Cut the kid a little slack, because if Taylor starts and performs reasonably well all this hostility will seem a bit petty, no?

I don't in the least bit dislike this kid as I like every kid that puts it all on the line for my Huskers. My frustration is a combination of a few things:

1. TMart has been giving our first team defense fits. He has been doing a number on them. With that said we either have a very good FRESHMEN QB, or a very overrated defense.

2. I dont know if TMart will be able to pick up those tough 3rd and 8s against UT with his arm nor with his feet.

3. We all saw how nervous CG was last year against OU. Well, we play a UT team this year that is going to be just as good if not better. If he truely is our guy, he better be ready.

4. Zac Lee would not be given the same benefit of the doubt that TMart will be given.

Last, we have a chance to do something very special this year: Win the Big 12, and POSSIBILY compete of a National Title. I don't know if we can do that with a freshmen QB. I can honestly see us losing a game or two because 1) we dont have an experienced QB, 2) we don't have a QB that can consistently throw the football and move the chains with his arm.

If my bitterness about us not starting an experienced QB over a freshmen who has never played in a real game has come off as me disliking anyone I apologize. But my fear is that this decision is going to further divide us all, one QB is going to get the benefit of the doubt with a certain group of people and another won't.

100% T-mart. come back on saturday and quote me on this.

Depth chart reads:

Martinez

Lee

Green

You've seen a depth chart, you've talked to someone who's seen a depth chart, or this is your prediction? Because this looks like about everyone's prediction right now, based on this thread. ;)

Now, i hate all this "i have source" crap.. but i trust where the info came from.. please take this info with a grain of salt...but as many others have speculated and it seems that is true, T-mart earned the job.

If Martinez is our starter for the all or the majority of the season:

1. His running ability will not win us any additional games.

2. His whack throwing ability will cost us 1 or 2 games we probably should have won.

Just my thoughts based on the film I've seen of him. Maybe his throwing has gotten better and I'll be proven wrong (I hope I am).

If Martinez is our starter for the all or the majority of the season:

1. His running ability will not win us any additional games.

2. His whack throwing ability will cost us 1 or 2 games we probably should have won.

Just my thoughts based on the film I've seen of him. Maybe his throwing has gotten better and I'll be proven wrong (I hope I am).

I trust the coaches with whoever starts. They just have to make sure Martinez is at the point where he can make plays and not cost us plays. If they believe he is at that point, then I believe as well.

100% T-mart. come back on saturday and quote me on this.

Depth chart reads:

Martinez

Lee

Green

You've seen a depth chart, you've talked to someone who's seen a depth chart, or this is your prediction? Because this looks like about everyone's prediction right now, based on this thread. ;)

Now, i hate all this "i have source" crap.. but i trust where the info came from.. please take this info with a grain of salt...but as many others have speculated and it seems that is true, T-mart earned the job.

Flip Lee and Green and you are dead on. ;)

What I like about starting Martinez in the first game is to avoid what we had with Green last season. He was thrown into the fire and had very little, if any, time to get used to the speed of the game. Putting Martinez in now will give him two games (albeit against crappy teams) to get used to it and settle in a bit. We put Green in a no-win situation last year and I think the coaches learned from it.

I believe Martinez will really surprise people this year. He has the best arm, the quickest release, the best throwing motion and is the most athletic of the others. BUT, none of that will mean squat if he gets antsy in the pocket and throws to the wrong colored jersey. Let's hope he'll use these first two games to get the jitters out and be ready for a tough task at hand in Washington.

GO BIG RED!!!

I believe Martinez will really surprise people this year. He has the best arm, the quickest release, the best throwing motion and is the most athletic of the others.

Whole-heartedly disagree.

Lee has the best mechanics of any of our quarterbacks that we have seen. Unless Martinez drastically changed his throwing motion since spring ball, Lee is still the better throw of the three.

I believe Martinez will really surprise people this year. He has the best arm, the quickest release, the best throwing motion and is the most athletic of the others.

Whole-heartedly disagree.

Lee has the best mechanics of any of our quarterbacks that we have seen. Unless Martinez drastically changed his throwing motion since spring ball, Lee is still the better throw of the three.

Mechanics are great, but i want a guy who knows how to play.

Lee stared his WR's down last year like crazy. you can pull that against crap teams cause there is a reason they are a CB on a terrible team. but games against Texas, that staring your WR wont work.

Lee has a terrible QB IQ.