Do you think Bo Pelini needs to be a little nicer and show some respect?

It's not like he is under pressure or anything. I mean really, why should he be so intense? The entire Nebraska populace doesn't take pride in the football program, so why should he feel any pressure? :sarcasm

TO was a little animated on the sidelines in the 70s. After getting his azz handed to him by virtually everyone in the state for coming up short against OU, he started to mellow and understand that was just the way it was going to be around here, so he just did his thing and figured out how to deal with it. He wasn't very forthcoming towards the end of his career. He had gotten to be a little sarcastic. Listen to him after his last game against Tennessee. "Yeah, we did some good things, knocked a few people down."

I think Bo will learn how to better handle his image. Right now, he just wants to win, because that is what is demanded of him here. Remember, he was part of a staff that was fired after a 10-3 season.

Kind of reminds me of that old Billy Joel video..."Pressure!"

I personally like honesty. :band "If you're pissed and you know it, let 'em know."

Besides...it is football....Nebraska Football....Tiddly Wink coaches need not apply.

As far as hostility towards officials, if they would would get the call right, the hostility would not follow. A little accoutability would go a long way in reducing the volume in their ear. I've seen the sainted Crack Brown light up plenty of officials.

As a member of the press (I've never covered NU; living in the land of high school sports), I find that if you are getting short answers and a coach is huffy with you, there are two possibilities as to why this is:

1) The coach is pissed because the team lost or they had a bad practice and no question you ask is going to be answered in the manner you desire. But then, after a win, they are more than willing to answer whatever you ask. It's human nature for some coaches-"We just freaking lost;the last person I want to talk to is a journalist." This is actually rare. No matter what, I have had coaches that are open books. They like to talk to you about breakdowns in defensive schemes or whatever.

2) You are asking ridiculous questions that don't lend to good answers. It seems to me, as mentioned previously, this happens quite a bit with members of the press around here. You ask the same question over and over...what are you going to get out of it? You are going to get stupid, recycled answers. If I were getting the same answers or short answers, I often question my approach to the interview and try to change it.

In Pelini's case, I think it's a case of both. Could he use a little polishing on this stuff? Probably. But, really, what does he "owe" journalists? Not a thing.

I love the internet.

Everyone has an opinion and most of the bad ones are filled with hyperbole and over-dramatization. I mean come on. Does his demeanor really matter? He has the utmost respect of all of his peers, pretty much across the board.

Knock it off. We'll all calm down after Saturday. Even Bo will too.

How about YOU knock it off!!!!!

How about we don't make it personal. ;)

Your Mother!!! chuckleshuffle

So's your face. And boom roasted.

It's not like he is under pressure or anything. I mean really, why should he be so intense? The entire Nebraska populace doesn't take pride in the football program, so why should he feel any pressure? :sarcasm

TO was a little animated on the sidelines in the 70s. After getting his azz handed to him by virtually everyone in the state for coming up short against OU, he started to mellow and understand that was just the way it was going to be around here, so he just did his thing and figured out how to deal with it. He wasn't very forthcoming towards the end of his career. He had gotten to be a little sarcastic. Listen to him after his last game against Tennessee. "Yeah, we did some good things, knocked a few people down."

I think Bo will learn how to better handle his image. Right now, he just wants to win, because that is what is demanded of him here. Remember, he was part of a staff that was fired after a 10-3 season.

I personally like honesty. :band "If you're pissed and you know it, let 'em know."

Besides...it is football....Nebraska Football....Tiddly Wink coaches need not apply.

As far as hostility towards officials, if they would would get the call right, the hostility would not follow. A little accoutability would go a long way in reducing the volume in their ear. I've seen the sainted Crack Brown light up plenty of officials.

One of my favorite Osborne-isms was, I think in 1994, people were still being all pissy about him not winning a national championship yet, and he said something to the effect of, "Yeah, I think if I don't win a national championship, people are actually going to engrave that failure on to my tombstone... I don't really care though, since I'll be dead."

Osborne had a way of flipping people off without them knowing it. Pretty fantastic.

One of my favorite Osborne-isms was, I think in 1994, people were still being all pissy about him not winning a national championship yet, and he said something to the effect of, "Yeah, I think if I don't win a national championship, people are actually going to engrave that failure on to my tombstone... I don't really care though, since I'll be dead."

Osborne had a way of flipping people off without them knowing it. Pretty fantastic.

just ask texas (but i think they knew).

My feeling is that when you take a head coaching job at a major university PR is part of the job and interacting with the media comes with the territory, now does the affect the product Bo puts on the field, probably not, but's it is part of his job as a head coach to do it and he's gonna have to learn that in Nebraska when you are the main act 24/7 365 the media is not going away anytime soon and he's got to learn that.

I'm watching all these interviews and it looks like Pelini needs to take a chill pill and show some more class and respect. With the way he paces the sidelines and talks to media no wonder all these calls are going against us. He also banned the media for three days which is weird and none else does. He seems to make rude or smart comments to the media and seems angry a lot. I just wish he would be a little more friendly. I don't want people to start viewing our program like that as we are very classy and good people and fans here in Nebraska. Hes from Ohio and may not get it. I would just like to know what your thoughts and opinions are on this. Or is it just me that sees this behavior?

Bo's not the first coach to have media conflicts. Mack Brown did the exact same thing to reporters for posting an injury during practice on twitter. What's the statement about, "He's from Ohio and may not get it"? Does something about being from the state of Ohio matter? Fact is Bo came from a tough, blue collar city and upbringing and sometimes that rough exterior comes through a bit too much. Bottom line is as long as Bo treats his players well and they have healthy relationships and have a solid program on and off the field, he can throw piss baloons at reporters for all I care.

Nothing against Ohio. I'm just saying we have a certain tradition here he may not get. Turner Gill should be the coach anyway. Or someone from Nebraska. No one has proven anything since Osborne left except proving they can lose. Bo has lost 8 games in two seasons and has yet to prove himself. Once he wins a title he can talk all he wants but until them he needs to relax.

Also I'm not asking him to be a pushover. I'm just asking him to show some class and respect and relax a bit. All of this anger towards the officials WILL cost us a big game eventually.

So if your saying Bo hasnt shown anything because he hasnt won a championship then by your standards Osborne didnt prove anything to you until 94. People like you almost convinced Osborne to go to Colorado. Lets give Bo some credit for the job he has done so far. Bo will get there, he didnt take over a great team like Tom. And WTF has Gill proved not more than BO sorry. I like Gill but he hasnt shown more than Bo. You think Bama fans care that saban is a dick. NO! The reporters ask dumb questions anyway. I get pissed when someone at work asks me something that is stupid.

People seem to think Tom Osborne was always the quiet coach on the side line who didn't get in anybody's face. If you watch any old clips of Osborne from his early years, he was an extremely fiery guy. He didn't temper himself until the later years, which is what generally happens with age to begin with.

Huskerfan83, your post count doesn't give you a lot of credence right now. Pelini has lot 8 games with a team that had absolutely zero confidence when he showed up and had guys that were severely under-coached. I'd say he's done a pretty damn good job given what he was handed in 2008.

Not to say you can't have a dissenting opinion, but the fact that you have so few posts AND that your opinion of Pelini is so strong, you're coming off as a suspected troll. If you don't wish to be banned and/or blocked by most of the people on this board, I might drop this conversation for now.

Ok, should all the players and media be issued a "stress card"???

So when Bo gets too mean, either players or media can hold up their "stress cards" and Bo will have to take it easy on them...

ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME?!?!??!?!?!

This is football, not 8 yr olds playing soccer. I'm sorry Bo won't show up after practice with orange slices for everyone.

If you want nice, start watching "sack-less" sport like soccer.

Oh yeah, and any of you think that Bo is being mean by keeping the media clowns out of a couple practices because the idiots were calling parents before they knew that their son was even hurt-you might want to take a look at ESPN and see that Ingram blew his knee up in practice Monday, and no one knew a thing about it until after he had already had it scoped Tuesday morning.

Maybe all our practices should be closed to the media & guests.

Yes, a nicer calmer bo would be an improvement. Then after the game maybe the players can braide each others hair until their periods all start at the same time. We have this thread every year, ususlly someone brings up that him yelling at palyers and coaches will cost us on the recruiting trail. Seriously as long as he wins he is fine. As long as he doesnt break any rules I could care how he treats the media.