If T-Mart struggles

Lil' Red

I just dont see the coaches putting him into a position where he able to make huge mistakes and get rattled. As long as the team decides to hold onto the ball this week we should be fine. I dont foresee the coaches doing anything vastly different on O that Zenitram would be uncomfortable with. He likely wont be throwing the ball downfield, we will continue to be a ground and pound offense and Zenitram will do just fine in that type of setting. The only way I see us getting in trouble is if we put the ball on the turf early and give up bad field position. Otherwise we will see what we have seen so far, great fake zone reads with UW's defense crashing on Helu when he doesnt have the ball and Zenitram streaking down the sideline for huge gains. No worries.

My take, Hypothetically say we are down 17-24 pts at the end of the 3rd, then what? Obviously our D wont give up alot i dont believe, but a few turnovers that give Locker and Co. great field position and a few easy scores. Coach Sark can coach these guys up. Remember USC last year? That wasnt just a fluke that wash won that game. Yes their D isnt that good. But with a qb that doesnt stretch the field once in a while to keep the D honest i could see this as an issue. If we are down by 17 at the end of 3 i see cody coming in. Anything more than 24 points and the end of 3 and HuskerNation as well as the coaches will go into a frenzy. Because IMO at that point you have to put LEE in. But then comes the 2nd issue, he has only played what 5 mins live this year. The O scheme isnt Pro style with some wildcat mixed in. So it could become confusing for O with unfamiliar play calls. But i do believe with the scheme agains AZ in the bowl could be successful at that point in time. Now lets go a little deeper. (obviously hypothetical) Lee brings us back from down 24 to win............ Then what?

Tmart & Green both blow chunks and Lee comes is to save the day? I think the odds of that happening are about zilch (unless injuries occur) but if it did most probably Lee would be the starter.

Otoh, via "injuries" to Tmart/Green I could easily see Lee coming in and saving our bacon. Imo a far, far more likely scenario. It actually wouldn't surprise me at all.

If we're down 24 at the end of 3 as in your scenario, the D has "done quit". If you have gone that far with T M, why throw Lee in to chuck it up and watch more INTs pile up? Now if TM is not getting it done and they are containing the run, going to him earlier might make some sense. If you are depending on Lee to save your bacon down 24 with a quarter to play, he should have been starting.

I don't think we'll be down that much but I will not be overly surprised if we are behind in the 3rd quarter. If one team gets turnoveritis is the only way I see this getting out of hand early.

My take, Hypothetically say we are down 17-24 pts at the end of the 3rd, then what? Obviously our D wont give up alot i dont believe, but a few turnovers that give Locker and Co. great field position and a few easy scores. Coach Sark can coach these guys up. Remember USC last year? That wasnt just a fluke that wash won that game. Yes their D isnt that good. But with a qb that doesnt stretch the field once in a while to keep the D honest i could see this as an issue. If we are down by 17 at the end of 3 i see cody coming in. Anything more than 24 points and the end of 3 and HuskerNation as well as the coaches will go into a frenzy. Because IMO at that point you have to put LEE in. But then comes the 2nd issue, he has only played what 5 mins live this year. The O scheme isnt Pro style with some wildcat mixed in. So it could become confusing for O with unfamiliar play calls. But i do believe with the scheme agains AZ in the bowl could be successful at that point in time. Now lets go a little deeper. (obviously hypothetical) Lee brings us back from down 24 to win............ Then what?

Tmart & Green both blow chunks and Lee comes is to save the day? I think the odds of that happening are about zilch (unless injuries occur) but if it did most probably Lee would be the starter.

Otoh, via "injuries" to Tmart/Green I could easily see Lee coming in and saving our bacon. Imo a far, far more likely scenario. It actually wouldn't surprise me at all.

If we're down 24 at the end of 3 as in your scenario, the D has "done quit". If you have gone that far with T M, why throw Lee in to chuck it up and watch more INTs pile up? Now if TM is not getting it done and they are containing the run, going to him earlier might make some sense. If you are depending on Lee to save your bacon down 24 with a quarter to play, he should have been starting.

I don't think we'll be down that much but I will not be overly surprised if we are behind in the 3rd quarter. If one team gets turnoveritis is the only way I see this getting out of hand early.

Why do you think being down 24 at the end of 3 means the D has quit? If we turn the ball over inside the 20 and give up a couple of pic 6's, the D could be playing quite well and we still could be down by 24.

T-Mart doesn't struggle. Struggle gets T-Mart.

:blink:

:thumbs

If T-Mart struggles, we leave him in the game. None of this pulling the quarterback crap because he is sucking. We pulled Green against Oklahoma and it looked like it shot his confidence for the rest of the season.

Besides, I don't think there will be a lot of room for Martinez to struggle. We won't ask a lot of him in the passing game, and Washington's defense is anything but dominant. We should have success running the football with Martinez, Burkhead, and Helu.

Enhance, I usually agree with you 100%, but if the coaches didn't yank Green in last years OU game, we lose that game. End of story.

We should pound the rock all day long until it opens up opportunities to pass. Suck the life out of those boys and make sure they know they are in a fight ... then pop em with the pass. Keep their QB off the field as much as possible and let your defense pop Hooker in the mouth a couple of times.

We win the game by 2-3 TD's and impress the nation! That is my hope ... but I do think we are over rated a bit and are making way too many mistakes to be a Top 10 team at the moment.

SheepdogMark

I hope it doesn't happen but when you have a freshman QB playing his first real test in a hostile environment there is the potential that he struggles. I'm just curious what everyone thinks we should do if he struggles and how bad would he have to do for us to consider pulling him.

leave him in. struggling can be a good learning experience.

unless he's turning the ball over.... two turnovers and pull him. save his ego.

I don't think that Washington will be to much of a hostile environment for our Skers. Supposedly theres going to be 20,000-25,000 Husker fans that will be at the game and if Washington has at least 10,000 empty seats like it did against Syaracuse, Huskie stadium will almost be another home game like the 09' Baylor game.

Alot of the victory againist USC last year was that Coach Sark knew every little detail about the USC trojans. That was a huge part of their victory regardless of what anyone says. They played an outstanding game but it also helps knowing every little detail the team is going to throw at you.

If Martinez struggles (completes <50% of his passes, multiple INTs), I think you HAVE to give Cody Green the ball. If they really were that close in the fall camp, then Cody deserves a shot too. However, if the team is still up big despite Martinez struggling, let him work through his issues. I think as long as the game is in hand, you don't pull the QB. Say we're down at the end of the 3rd Q and TM hasn't done much of anything...go to Green and see what he can do.

Let's just hope Martinez plays lights out and this topic never has to be revisited. I would like for this team to have some stability at QB, regardless of who it is (and I'm a Cody Green guy).