What We Learned This Week

walksalone

I actually have to say, a couple of things...

First, that the hype around the Amukamara/Kearse match up was mentioned at the beginning of the game, and then... *crickets*

Second, that "T Martinez" (I refuse to call him T-magic), is getting better. I'm not going to give him the Heisman just yet, the kid does have a ways to go, but I see tons of potential.

And, we may be getting back to the point, that personally, I've missed immensely, of people being afraid of us.

• Fire 1

Agree on all accounts. I've been circumventing other boards since yesterday, and a lot of people are praising us, even some of our upcoming opponents. Some are even talking about how worried they are about our run game. I never thought I'd hear something like that again in my life... :blink:

As far as Kearse and Amukamara are concerned, Amukamara dominated the battle all day save for one play where Amukamara made a mistake. He shouldn't have gotten beat that bad on the double move.

And Martinez...what more can we say about the kid. He doesn't seem to be phased by anything. He smiles at touchdowns, but that's about the only emotion you ever get to see of him. I haven't seen him upset once on the field. He treats it like a game of backyard football.

• Fire 1

Agree on all accounts. I've been circumventing other boards since yesterday, and a lot of people are praising us, even some of our upcoming opponents. Some are even talking about how worried they are about our run game. I never thought I'd hear something like that again in my life... :blink:

Yeah, and that Burkhead TD run put a permagrin on my face yesterday.

First, that the hype around the Amukamara/Kearse match up was mentioned at the beginning of the game, and then... *crickets*

I was very excited to see Prince shut down a big reciver like that, the crickets were a good thing in my mind. The one big catch was the only thing from it being a perfect game. I'm not sure we will see a reciever as talented as him again, and we were able to shut him down.

As far as Kearse and Amukamara are concerned, Amukamara dominated the battle all day save for one play where Amukamara made a mistake. He shouldn't have gotten beat that bad on the double move.

And Martinez...what more can we say about the kid. He doesn't seem to be phased by anything. He smiles at touchdowns, but that's about the only emotion you ever get to see of him. I haven't seen him upset once on the field. He treats it like a game of backyard football.

I'm not so sure Prince made a mistake. I think the safety (I believe it was Gomes) was supposed to take the deep route. It looked to me like Prince was playing a Zone coverage and the Safety got sucked up by Locker starting to roll out.

I'm not so sure Prince made a mistake. I think the safety (I believe it was Gomes) was supposed to take the deep route. It looked to me like Prince was playing a Zone coverage and the Safety got sucked up by Locker starting to roll out.

I thought they were pointing at Thenarse on that play!

Yahtzee! That one was on Gomes who, like Prince, was being aggressive and tried to jump the route for a pick. Sometimes when a secondary is as aggressive as ours, a big play like that will happen. Obviously, we were fine yesterday b/c we had a comfortable lead (and our offense couldn't be stopped), but what happens in a close game with our secondary is over-aggressive? It might only take one play like that to put us on the losing end.

Yahtzee! That one was on Gomes who, like Prince, was being aggressive and tried to jump the route for a pick. Sometimes when a secondary is as aggressive as ours, a big play like that will happen. Obviously, we were fine yesterday b/c we had a comfortable lead (and our offense couldn't be stopped), but what happens in a close game with our secondary is over-aggressive? It might only take one play like that to put us on the losing end.

I agree, and that was my concern with Gomes moving to S. He was able to jump routes when he was playing nickle/dime, but when he has deep responsibility, he needs to keep the WR in front of him and cherry pick INTs.

Hopefully, that is a learning experience that won't happen again.

Line looked better, but played against one of the worst defenses in the Pac 10. Not much taken from that for me.

I saw Childs gash our line for numerous big runs, and would have continued if they had not gotten down so fast. We have a problem there I think, every team has been able to run on us, when we hit a strong running team, Bo may have packages to stop it, but right now it is a concern for me.

We learned Locker is no longer a Hypsman front runner I think.

Actually that TD was on Ricky Thenarse. Ricky was supposed to handle the deep route on that touchdown and just got caught coming up too far when Locker rolled out.

Down South here, we learned that Nebraska is the class of the Big XII and the Big Ten(eleven) will be a better conference once the Blackshirts join. On a more personal note, here's hoping you crush Texas in October; I'm kind of sick of the excuse making and complaining from Austin. Also, from a Big XII perspective, we learned that the South division is much less secure from an Oklahoma/Texas perspective than it had been in previous years with Oklahoma State and Texas A&M very capable of beating the Horns or Sooners. Good luck next week though against South Dakota State, you only need luck avoiding the injury bug.

GBR and RMFT.

The thing that comes to mind for me is that (IMO) I think we're close to playing our best football. The last two years it's taken us deep into the season to get to that point. I believe by K-State we'll playing to full capacity.

No way we're playing our best football or even close to it..

There's still a lot of mistakes by the Linebackers we can shore up against the run game and Taylor will and can continue to progress as a passer by MNC kick off time. :koolaid2: