The Official Chicago Bears thread

NUance

Bears DE Gaines Adams dies in South Carolina

By Doug Farrar, www.sports.yahoo.com

Yahoo! Sports has learned from a source close to the Clemson football program that Chicago Bears defensive end and Clemson alum Gaines Adams(notes) died Sunday morning after being taken to Self Regional Healthcare in Greenwood, S.C. Scout.com's Roy Philpott, who broke the news, indicated that county coroner James T. Coursey released the information. Early reports say that Adams died of cardiac arrest due to an enlarged heart, and a preliminary autopsy has confirmed this. LINK

Heart attack. That's shocking and sad. RIP Gaines Adams. RIP

I would have loved to see what Gaines would have been capable of this season playing opposite of Julius Peppers. I remember when the Bears originally traded for him last season, Marinelli thought he'd be able to "turn him around." There's no doubt in my mind he would have been a very solid player for them this season...at the very least coming on the field to pass rush on 3rd down. RIP

Packers win Sunday. They have faced two of the NFC's best teams. The Packers remind of me of the Giants in 07 when they got hot at the right time.

Apparently the bookies agree. Packers are 3 point road favorites right now. But Soldier field in January is a far cry from Atlanta. Forecast: gametime temp 22 degrees, Light snow, mixed with a downpour of pain and agony for the Pack.
  • Fire 1

Packers win Sunday. They have faced two of the NFC's best teams. The Packers remind of me of the Giants in 07 when they got hot at the right time.

Apparently the bookies agree. Packers are 3 point road favorites right now. But Soldier field in January is a far cry from Atlanta. Forecast: gametime temp 22 degrees, Light snow, mixed with a downpour of pain and agony for the Pack.

Yes, the Pack are peaking right now. Or have they peaked?

Let's not forget that in a game the Bears had no reason to care about at the end of the season, and in which Green Bay was fighting for their playoff lives, the Packers were only able to win 10-3. Green Bay may win this weekend, but it won't be a rout. And I won't be surprised in the least to see the Bears win.

Cutler performing at high level entering NFC title game

By: Larry Mayer | Last Updated: 1/19/2011 7:35 PM

Cutler_inside11811.jpg

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Although the Packers certainly are a step up in class, the Bears are hoping that Jay Cutler picks up in Sunday's NFC Championship Game where he left off last weekend against the Seahawks.

Making his first playoff appearance, the five-year veteran passed for 274 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for a career-high 43 yards and two scores in a 35-24 divisional-playoff victory.

"Our team and most offenses go the way your quarterback does, and Jay Cutler should be the quarterback of the Chicago Bears," said coach Lovie Smith. "He's a tough guy, comes to work each day.

"He's made a lot of throws. But I like the decisions he's made just when to take off and run the ball. He was outstanding last week and we'll need him to play that way again this week."

With a 111.3 passer rating against the Seahawks, Cutler has now topped the century mark in five of his last seven games. On Sunday, he'll face a Packers defense that held opposing quarterbacks to a league-low 67.2 passer rating during the regular season.

"Jay's a great quarterback," said running back Matt Forte. "He makes plays with his feet and also he's smart with the football and he's definitely got a great arm. He's a great all-around quarterback."

Red-hot Rodgers: Cutler's counterpart, the Packers' Aaron Rodgers, owns the No. 1 passer rating in NFL history in both the regular season (98.4) and the playoffs (129.4). In last Saturday night's 48-21 rout of the Falcons in Atlanta, Rodgers completed 31 of 36 passes for 366 yards and three touchdowns.

"The Packers right now are really hot," Cutler said. "They're running the ball well, they're throwing the ball well. Third down they have been extraordinary. Aaron is not missing many passes. Whenever we get the ball, we're going to have to make it count."

In a Week 17 loss to the Packers, the Bears sacked Rodgers twice, intercepted him once and allowed Green Bay to convert just 2-of-11 third down plays.

"One of the keys to containing Aaron Rodgers is do similar stuff to what we did last time we played them," said linebacker Lance Briggs. "Defensively, we did a lot of good things.

"We went off the field a lot on third downs. We got a lot of pressure. We made him move his feet, throw the ball quick and we got around tacklers. One thing we've done well all year is we've been great tacklers. Guys don't get a whole lot of yards after first contact, and guys that do tend to get punished by the other 10 guys running to the ball."

Briggs said it best. This game from a defensive standpoint is going to be all about getting to and putting pressure on Rodgers. Holy cow I hope Marinelli has a good game plan up his sleeve for Sunday.

BEARS

Red-hot Rodgers: Cutler's counterpart, the Packers' Aaron Rodgers, owns the No. 1 passer rating in NFL history in both the regular season (98.4) and the playoffs (129.4). In last Saturday night's 48-21 rout of the Falcons in Atlanta, Rodgers completed 31 of 36 passes for 366 yards and three touchdowns.

"The Packers right now are really hot," Cutler said. "They're running the ball well, they're throwing the ball well. Third down they have been extraordinary. Aaron is not missing many passes. Whenever we get the ball, we're going to have to make it count."

In a Week 17 loss to the Packers, the Bears sacked Rodgers twice, intercepted him once and allowed Green Bay to convert just 2-of-11 third down plays.

That's the best any team has played against Rodgers all year. And this week Rodgers won't be playing in front of a friendly GB crowd.

• Fire 1

You are bringing weather into this? really? did you forget that they play in Wisconsin? that they played in Philly the previous week? Come on now.

That's the best any team has played against Rodgers all year. And this week Rodgers won't be playing in front of a friendly GB crowd.

Having home field advantage rules. That place is going to be going nuts Sunday.

BEARS

Depends on the team. Some FEW teams play better on the road than at home.

Fixed.

It's the playoffs. You want any advantage you can get, especially playing at home.

BEARS

You are bringing weather into this? really? did you forget that they play in Wisconsin? that they played in Philly the previous week? Come on now.

The Pack won't be able to handle that last element of the weather. Soldier Field is gonna be rockin'!! Bears are gonna be head knockin!!!

The Pack won't be able to handle that last element of the weather. Soldier Field is gonna be rockin'!! Bears are gonna be head knockin!!!

I don't see the Bears O-line being able to handle the Packers D which results in Cutler eating grass often.

Yes, the Pack are peaking right now. Or have they peaked?

Let's not forget that in a game the Bears had no reason to care about at the end of the season, and in which Green Bay was fighting for their playoff lives, the Packers were only able to win 10-3. Green Bay may win this weekend, but it won't be a rout. And I won't be surprised in the least to see the Bears win.

Not sure how much weight this carries knapplc, as Lovie took a lot of heat, then admiration, for playing all of his starters and treating the rivalry with the respect it deserved. This is a hot, nasty rivalry...I dont think for one second the Bears werent giving their all to keep the Pack out of the playoffs.

Anywho...I keep waiting for a Cutler meltdown. Its been awhile since he's had one of his interception fests...I could see all the pressure finally catching up to him if things dont go right right away, and we see the helmet pulled down, blindly tossing, pouting Cutler of old.

The Chicago defense has been kryptonite to Aaron Rodgers and the Packers this year. In 21 possessions (not counting end-of-game kneeldowns), Rodgers has led three touchdown and two field-goal drives. The other 16 have resulted in zero points, including 11 punts and two interceptions. In 16 games this regular and postseason against everyone else, Green Bay has averaged 26.9 points; against the Bears, Packer points per game are half of that: 13.5.

The Bears haven't been any better, scoring 23 points in eight quarters against a Green Bay defense they have struggled to figure out. So I think what we're going to see is not a match between the rising star of the quarterback world, Rodgers, coming off one of the great playoff games we've seen a quarterback play (with no wind, 72 degrees, on the fast rug of the Georgia Dome) facing off against one of the great deep throwers in football, Jay Cutler. cnnsi.com LINK

Game of the year in the NFL. Bar none.

• Fire 1