The Niles Paul Thread

wow...Niles should learn to keep his freakin mouth shut then. its one thing to call for the ball more to your position coach...HE CALLED FOR THE BALL THRU THE MEDIA! who do the media report to? the people...so his little crybaby rant about not being able to take the criticism, from the people, is complete bs in my book. you give it, you take it. ive never felt more strongly about a player needing to be benched in my life.

So Niles is responsible for grown adults acting like dips***s. Check.

no. but hes not the innocent some are trying to make him out to be. he didnt help himself, not one bit, by the comments he's made throughout his career. this is a learning experience for everyone, especially him.

I'm pretty good friends with his cousin and he was saying that niles got some pretty nasty stuff on his facebook. I feel bad for the guy... but still. We all know ISU, TTU, UT. He can't escape criticism by words alone. His actions on the field have to become more consistent and I'm a little worried about his work ethic as it seems he's been at the same point for the last 2-3 years.

THAT BIENG SAID (on here i mind you, not to his face) for someone to say that to a guy when he's down is not ok even if you arent a NEBRASKA fan. I wouldnt anymore do that to blake gideon after he dropped the pick against tech in 08 if i was a tech fan than i would do it to niles if i was a nebraska fan. nuff said. sorry that happened niles

I see where you stand but you need to realize they are getting free schooling to play football, not drop passes, miss tackles etc, their student life and football life are two different things, they are 19-24, they can be big boys and realize if they are going to screw up consistently (niles paul) they will get ridiculed for it, im glad niles is taking all of this sh#t as a matter of fact, did you forget week ago he said "i came here to catch the damn ball" and complaining because he wasnt getting thrown to enough, frankly i can care less if the ball is ever thrown to him again, that cocky sob was the same way in high school, i cant stand him

i think my biggest issue is that it doesnt seem like he feels at all responsible for what he's receiving (hehe...receiving). you think the calling for the ball type stuff would have flown under osborne?

personally, id have given him a slap on the ass and a go get 'em next time-and that should be enough. but thats just me.

I wouldn't be giving Niles Paul so much gruff right now if he didn't completely bring it on himself with his notorious attitude, and the article in the OWH.

Damn right! This primadonna needs to have his ego stuck right square up his whiny azz.

Gimme the ball, gimme the ball, waaaaaaa. He deserves to have bullets thrown at him all day every day this week-and yes, his BIG mouth brought it all on.

Put up or shut up, fumble boy.

WOW, this is a thread I missed.............I think it's complete B.S. though that some fans called Niles out in front of his family and were putting horrible things on his facebook page. If you do something like that your a damn loser in my opinion. Do I like what happened on the field Saturday? No, I'd say it to any players face because that's the type of person I am. I'm not a disrespectful person though and I still support the team and what they are trying to do. I've only called out one player while I've been a member on Huskerboard. That was Matt O'Hanlon after the VT game. I felt bad about it afterwards and instead of being harsh and ridiculous towards him I should've been more constructive. Niles, you need to keep some things to yourself and they should only be discussed as a team. You need to work on your receiving ability, you aren't as good as you think you are, but you have the potential. Lose the arrogance a little and be confident instead. I'd say that to him if he was sitting right next to me.

Paul tries to block out critics

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on October 19, 2010 at 1:56PM CST

Husker senior wide receiver Niles Paul has taken his share of criticism for a couple dropped passes in the Texas game.

Paul said he tries to block out the criticism, but that was impossible after Saturday's game when a couple fans yelled "You suck" and "Texas can have you" as he and his family were walking to the car after the game.

"It hurts. It hurts," Paul said "When I was walking back to the car and people were yelling stuff at me, it's disrespectful. And as an athlete I have to keep my cool and just stay focused because I don't want to do anything to put my situation in jeopardy."

Paul said his brothers reacted angrily at first, but he calmed them and they just kept walking to the car.

The receiver also received a lot of negative feedback on his Facebook page after the game, so much that he just deactivated the account.

"I deleted it because I can't deal with that," Paul said. "If people are going to kind of use me as the scapegoat and say mean things to me on Facebook for making a mistake that receivers make or being human in the game, just kind of block it out."

Paul said Saturday's game and the criticism that came with it is especially difficult "because I know very well that I can make those plays. Some of those catches were a little hard, but great receivers make those catches. It's just me refocusing and doing little things to get my concentration back on catching the ball, tucking it and making those big plays."

Husker wide receivers coach Ted Gilmore told me Monday that he can't be any harder on Niles than Niles is on himself about a game.

I know Paul is a bit of a lightning rod because of some gaffes last year (Texas Tech backward pass, Iowa State fumble) and how up front he is about saying he wants the ball.

It's also important to note that Paul, whether it's a good game or a bad game, has almost always showed up to talk about what happened. He was there to answer questions after the Texas Tech game last year and he was the first guy at the podium after the Texas loss on Saturday.

Say what you will, but I give Paul a ton of credit for being a man about it on rough days. It's a lot tougher to stand in front of the cameras after a tough game than yell insults from a distance.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/paul_tries_to_block_out_critics.html

I don't think this was posted in the original post. If the OP wanted this article to be considered, he/she should've posted a link. It is unfortnate that this was done. I am not a fan of the whole facebook stocking of recruits and players.

wow...Niles should learn to keep his freakin mouth shut then. its one thing to call for the ball more to your position coach...HE CALLED FOR THE BALL THRU THE MEDIA! who do the media report to? the people...so his little crybaby rant about not being able to take the criticism, from the people, is complete bs in my book. you give it, you take it. ive never felt more strongly about a player needing to be benched in my life.

So Niles is responsible for grown adults acting like dips***s. Check.

no. but hes not the innocent some are trying to make him out to be. he didnt help himself, not one bit, by the comments he's made throughout his career. this is a learning experience for everyone, especially him.

So Niles is still responsible for what other people do, or? A college kid saying something cocky absolves fans from responsibility since when?

Paul tries to block out critics

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on October 19, 2010 at 1:56PM CST

Husker senior wide receiver Niles Paul has taken his share of criticism for a couple dropped passes in the Texas game.

Paul said he tries to block out the criticism, but that was impossible after Saturday's game when a couple fans yelled "You suck" and "Texas can have you" as he and his family were walking to the car after the game.

"It hurts. It hurts," Paul said "When I was walking back to the car and people were yelling stuff at me, it's disrespectful. And as an athlete I have to keep my cool and just stay focused because I don't want to do anything to put my situation in jeopardy."

Paul said his brothers reacted angrily at first, but he calmed them and they just kept walking to the car.

The receiver also received a lot of negative feedback on his Facebook page after the game, so much that he just deactivated the account.

"I deleted it because I can't deal with that," Paul said. "If people are going to kind of use me as the scapegoat and say mean things to me on Facebook for making a mistake that receivers make or being human in the game, just kind of block it out."

Paul said Saturday's game and the criticism that came with it is especially difficult "because I know very well that I can make those plays. Some of those catches were a little hard, but great receivers make those catches. It's just me refocusing and doing little things to get my concentration back on catching the ball, tucking it and making those big plays."

Husker wide receivers coach Ted Gilmore told me Monday that he can't be any harder on Niles than Niles is on himself about a game.

I know Paul is a bit of a lightning rod because of some gaffes last year (Texas Tech backward pass, Iowa State fumble) and how up front he is about saying he wants the ball.

It's also important to note that Paul, whether it's a good game or a bad game, has almost always showed up to talk about what happened. He was there to answer questions after the Texas Tech game last year and he was the first guy at the podium after the Texas loss on Saturday.

Say what you will, but I give Paul a ton of credit for being a man about it on rough days. It's a lot tougher to stand in front of the cameras after a tough game than yell insults from a distance.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/paul_tries_to_block_out_critics.html

I don't think this was posted in the original post. If the OP wanted this article to be considered, he/she should've posted a link. It is unfortnate that this was done. I am not a fan of the whole facebook stocking of recruits and players.

What exactly don't you like about posting this article here and how is it not relevant?

Here's the thing. Niles had a bad game Saturday, which is on nobody but him. And the fact that he had an article about how he should get the ball more just made perception of him worse. That's also on him: if you're going to talk big, you better respond when the ball comes your way, and he didn't.

The reason these message boards exists is to discuss the football team. Niles had a bad game. It's ok to talk about how he had a bad game. If Niles has a problem with fans or journalists talking about his failures, than he shouldn't expect them to enjoy his success either. You want your fans to cheer you on? Then you better be willing to have them come down on you when you mess up.

With that said, any person who sees these players on campus or on the street or anywhere and gives them anything other than support is either just a crappy person, or has an unhealthy relationship with football and this team. Niles had a bad game, and dropped some passes. He didn't murder anyone's child, and he doesn't deserve a public stoning.

If you see a player out in public, give them support, acknowledge them with a nod or a wave, or just let them live their friggin life. But if you insult them, then all I can do is credit the player for not smacking you across the face, because you'd probably deserve it.

• Fire 1

I'm upset that Niles had a bad game too, but the game was basically lost by the receivers, and Niles was only a part of that.

Also, it's not exactly the first time this has happened, especially against Texas. Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie and Rex Burkhead simply joined Adi Kunalic, Larry Asante, Terrence Nunn, Correll Buckhalter, and Jammal Lord as the collective goat in the Nebraska -Texas series.

Niles can redeem himself, and hopefully in 10 years we'll remember something else about him other than his stunning inconsistency. He's got a couple more months to make that happen.