Stadium Expansion

Sweet pics. Thanks.

There seems to be a different design in each circle between the window arches on the east side of the stadium. Do you have a quick run-down of what's in there?

They had similar seals on the original stadium structure, seals of UNL and other colleges we were associated with at the time.

I took pics of those seals a few years ago, before they were covered up:

seals01.jpg

seals02.jpg

seals03.jpg

And so on.

The new ones appear to be collegial programs within UNL. I can't get close enough to all of them to get good shots with the construction going on. I'll try to get some when they clean up the mess later this year.

• Fire 2

Nice pics. What is this "video cube" you mentioned in that south arena picture?

Looking north from just about where that old steam engine used to sit west of the train station. The building on the right wasn't there three weeks ago, and the space between that building, the building we've all seen before to the left, and the Arena is where that open public space is supposed to be, I believe. In the foreground you can see some footings for what I believe will end up as that video cube they've been talking about.

DSCF4467.jpg

Really starting to wish they would have left brick out of the arena and expansion designs.

Thanks for the pics, btw.

The brick is the best part of the facade IMO. Not only does it tie into the rest of campus, but it breaks up all the "concrete." I wish they would have done the same on the west expansion years ago.

knap, I believe the walkway to "nowhere" goes to a new surface parking lot where they will have festival space for "crabfest" and other things. In that video that was circulating around a while ago it would be where the band was playing on stage towards the end.

Nice pics. What is this "video cube" you mentioned in that south arena picture?

This large video screen is going in. They plan on showing movies and maybe games on it.

4eebd488ab0b9.image.jpg

OK, so those concrete footings in that picture up there must be the base for that building housing The Cube. It was maybe 50-75 feet from where I was standing.

The brick fits really well in person like Twinkletoes said. Personally the only thing I don't like are the N's. I wish they were solid and not tiled. It's really deceptive how large the expansion is you think you have a grasp of its size when you're walking up to it, but it just keeps filling up you vision the closer you get.

Great work again Knap! If you ever get the time and feel artsy I think a really great shot would be somewhere down the road on Vine street looking towards the stadium. I would love to do it myself but I just don't have a camera that could pull it off.

Great work again Knap! If you ever get the time and feel artsy I think a really great shot would be somewhere down the road on Vine street looking towards the stadium. I would love to do it myself but I just don't have a camera that could pull it off.

It would be a difficult shot. You'd have to do it in the Fall or Winter, after the leaves have fallen, and you'd have to try to find some kind of high ground, because there are just too many trees. There aren't any taller buildings around to take the shot from, and even if you got to the roof of a two-three story building, I think the trees around the stadium/loop would obscure it too much.

The brick fits really well in person like Twinkletoes said. Personally the only thing I don't like are the N's. I wish they were solid and not tiled. It's really deceptive how large the expansion is you think you have a grasp of its size when you're walking up to it, but it just keeps filling up you vision the closer you get.

I agree, the tiled N's are kind of an odd choice IMO. They aren't tiled on the press box side are they?