Stadium Expansion

Since I hadn't seen this linked here (and this seems to have become our defacto stadium/expansion type thread) - thought this was interesting. UNLV looking to build a new 60K facility... with a 100-yard video screen as one of the main features. Like the design of the stadium, and I thought the visuals of their mockups looked pretty stunning. Here's the USAToday link, for those interested:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/16/unlv-new-stadium-100-yard-video-screen/1839537/

The following is a link within that article to the Las Vegas Sun article. That article actually has a slideshow that you can bring up that has seven different mockups of the stadium:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/jan/11/unlv/

An interesting idea I heard proposed at least one place is that this stadium might be the kicker that puts UNLV over the top in terms of pushing for a PAC12 invite. Not sure I buy that, but a project of this scale certainly couldn't hurt their prospects. One thing to tie into Nebraska's expansion:

The new facility would have several traditional suites, just like Nebraska's expansions all have. That's nothing new. But one that I hadn't heard of before was that there would be six 300-seat VIP suites. That just floored me. Can't imagine the luxuries such a suite would have. I've always thought regular suites were posh, but then you talk about something like this. Gads.

Anyhow, thought it was interesting in terms of a new stadium being built. Knapp, if you or one of the other mods doesn't think this should be here, please move to the appropriate venue. Thanks!

^ that's pretty awesome. Watching UFC there would be perfect. I get a kick out of them having a final four in their mockup though. The NCAA just pulled out of New Jersey because Atlantic City is allowing sports betting now. NO chance Vegas could ever see this kind of action. Vegas will never be a place for collegiate athletics (or many athletics in general) because of the betting. Same reason UNLV has a HUGE uphill battle to get into the Pac12.

^ that's pretty awesome. Watching UFC there would be perfect. I get a kick out of them having a final four in their mockup though. The NCAA just pulled out of New Jersey because Atlantic City is allowing sports betting now. NO chance Vegas could ever see this kind of action. Vegas will never be a place for collegiate athletics (or many athletics in general) because of the betting. Same reason UNLV has a HUGE uphill battle to get into the Pac12.

Oh, agreed. The NCAA has never been one for putting anything anywhere close to a place that allows sports betting. The likelihood that a Final Four would come is remote, but no harm in promoting it that way. Was a great mockup and the place looks like it would be amazing to watch an event at. Lots of hoops to jump through yet, it sounds like, but wouldn't surprise me if they're able to get it done, especially since it sounds like the money will come from private donations; at least that's what it sounded like to me (outside of the TIF incentives they're needing to push through the legislature, of course).

It'll certainly put them even more on the radar screen for the PAC, though, even if they don't get there. Especially if the Big XII is able to survive and expand.

Any word on turf replacement? is it going to happen before or after the spring game? Also on the sound system. i thought i read somewhere that there was going to be work done to the sound system for the opening of the addition.

The University has not announced plans to redo the Turf this season. We all know it is due soon though, so sometime in the next few years we should see it replaced.

Also, I have not heard the univeristy announce anything concerning the sound system either. In Fact, I remember an interview with Osborne who indicated an upgraded sound system was not in the plans anytime soon. I know a lot of us on this board have asked for it and even proposed putting speakers in the south endzone but at this time the Univeristy seems to want to put their money in different places.

Any word on turf replacement? is it going to happen before or after the spring game? Also on the sound system. i thought i read somewhere that there was going to be work done to the sound system for the opening of the addition.

I frickin hope they fix the sound system. Its seriously embarrassing right now!!!

I

They have to replace the turf this summer, that stuff is ancient (for fake turf) and literally falling apart. My guess is they will wait till after the majority of construction is completed before they replace it. It probably only takes a month or so to do it doesn't it?

It is truly wonderful that, after a great season, some people (you people) are arguing about fonts and typefaces, and imagining that it makes the least little bit of difference.

Keep it up!

We can FONT our way to a MNC.

I love it.

If this is what we are debating at this time, I guess there is more right than wrong.

GBR!

They have to replace the turf this summer, that stuff is ancient (for fake turf) and literally falling apart. My guess is they will wait till after the majority of construction is completed before they replace it. It probably only takes a month or so to do it doesn't it?

It doesnt take long. When they replaced the turf here at Hastings College, I'm pretty sure it wasnt near no month they were there. Of course, the way time flies anymore, I'm probably wrong.

Edit: I just googled and read on multiple sites that the actual install is a 10-20 day process, dependent on weather conditions and that of the ground itself, with replacement as the quickest process. Putting down new field on unused land would be a 2 month + process.

Seriously flood?

It's a thread about the stadium expansion and other projects, what did you expect (not to mention it's the off season)? If you want other Husker football topics then just browse through the forum, there are quite a few other topics here that might tickle your fancy. If you want Recruiting there's a forum for that and it's got quite a bit of discussion as well. But don't come in here and complain about discussion that is relevant to the thread, that's just stupid.

It is truly wonderful that, after a great season, some people (you people) are arguing about fonts and typefaces, and imagining that it makes the least little bit of difference.

Keep it up!

We can FONT our way to a MNC.

I love it.

If this is what we are debating at this time, I guess there is more right than wrong.

GBR!

We'd be talking about the exact same things regardless of how the season ended up. Are you trying to make an actual point, or just being an insufferable troll?

The University has not announced plans to redo the Turf this season. We all know it is due soon though, so sometime in the next few years we should see it replaced.

Also, I have not heard the univeristy announce anything concerning the sound system either. In Fact, I remember an interview with Osborne who indicated an upgraded sound system was not in the plans anytime soon. I know a lot of us on this board have asked for it and even proposed putting speakers in the south endzone but at this time the Univeristy seems to want to put their money in different places.

They haven't announced it formally, but you'd have to expect it will be replaced this summer - as was said above, the stuff is literally falling apart and in very poor shape. The reason we won't see any sound system upgrades are because even though the messageboards are full of people complaining about it, in general, the fanbase doesn't really care. Before the east stadium expansion, they put a survey out asking people what they'd most likely see done to Memorial, and the sound system upgrade was way down on the list.