Bo Pelini Arrogance?

Arrogant isn't the right word. Bo has never talked about Nebraska as having arrived at anything substantial during his tenure. He sets high standards. He doesn't waver from them. Yes, he's an emotional coach, very unlike Osborne later in his career. How is that arrogant? If anything, Bo is simply accustomed to winning and competing at the highest level. Anything less is a failure in his eyes. It isn't arrogance. It's expectation. I wouldn't expect any team from Kansas to grasp that.

i think this is why players like bo.... he keeps standards high and expects the most from his players.. yet at the same time isnt seen as some distant hardass who is inaccessable (in some office somewhere or pimping himself out.....) to his players.. .rather you believe in bo bo will believe in you and will do ANYTHING for you.. Bo commands respect and once you give that respect you get sooo much from Bo... the guy goes to war for his guys and actually MEANS it rather then these coaches who just talk about it............

He is arrogant and at times kind of a prick. If he wasn’t winning this would be more of an issue but as it stands it can be overlooked because of the W’s. IMO

Interesting. I didn't have a problem with him or his reactions after TT and ISU games last year.

I was talking about overall winning for the whole season. His arrogance and temperament is excepted because he has been successful so far. Billy C. was just as arrogant and smug but he also blew it with his win/loss record so it wasn’t tolerated. IMO

Also his system is a proven system so he has every right to be arrogant because he knows he is good and has proven it.

Pelini and Callahan are complete opposites when it comes to dealing with the media. If Pelini starts giving up 50 points/game, he's not going to stick with his system, he's going to overhaul it. And he's not going to be calm in the media firestorm that would ensue a losing streak. He's going to be ticked off, which he should be, which is part of why we all trust him to do the job.

The only arrogance I see in Pelini's handling of the media is when he gets really stupid questions, and can't keep himself from giving a condescending answer. Any football coach worth the money he gets paid has the same problem, since the media asks a LOT of stupid questions. It's the same reason artists usually don't have respect for their critics: The journalists who are writing and critiquing their job performance usually have relatively little knowledge of the artists'/coaches' craft.

edit: Also, Bill Callahan didn't get fired because he was smug or arrogant. He got fired because he lost. If Bo loses, nobody is going to care about how arrogant he was, and if he were super nice all the time, nobody would give him any more loyalty then they would have Callahan after losing 5 or 6 games. They're measured by wins and losses alone.

He is arrogant and at times kind of a prick. If he wasn’t winning this would be more of an issue but as it stands it can be overlooked because of the W’s. IMO

In my opinion this statment is completely false. I for one can't see any other coach right now that would fit Nebraska better. Maybe it is how I was raised, area, work ethic, respecting others and so on. I think he has high standards for himself and our whole state. I would want nothing less.

So the times that he is a complete butt to the media (for doing their jobs) is being respectful towards others? Just wondering.

I still stand by that if he wasn’t as successful as he has been his attitude towards certain things wouldn’t fly around here. FWIW: That has nothing to do with the way I was raised either, that is just the way the coaching world works.

The media is there to write stories and make something out of nothing to sell. They would love nothing else but for the players and the coaches fall flat on their faces, because it would be a huge story for them. It is nothing personal, it is their job you are correct, but it is also Bo's job to protect his players and the program and I think that's VERY repectful. To answer your question yes.

I dont think he is "prick" at all. Hardnosed? Confident? Emotional? Yes,yes and yes. This doesnt make him a prick. It makes him human and so far it has made him a winner. He demands a lot and gives a lot in turn he gets a lot too. The people that seem to get ruffled over him are the ones that get ruffled anytime someone tells them the truth and is not politicallay correct.

• Fire 1

I call it jealousy from others. They call him arrogant because they wish their program had a guy who was as fired up as he is and showed as much passion as Bo. Just watching him coach makes me want to put the pads on again and play for him. I am sure the players have nothing but respect for him b/c of this as well. With that said, I would hate to get on his bad side!

Not to be rude here but Knapplc why are you so quick to shut people down that post about outsider opinions? I'm always curious about our national perception.

Because there's an impression that people are surprised that their local beat writers or radio guys or whomever aren't just giddy with love over Nebraska. It's like going to an away game and being surprised that the opponent's fans cheer loudly. I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls or anything, but we know how people from other locations feel about us, don't we? Especially people from Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, etc? I don't understand the shock these things evince in people.

I am never shocked about what they say. But it is fun to bring that stuff here to this message board and discuss it. Which is what you do on a message board.

Bo will be fine even with an occasional tantrum and being arrogant to some of the media...AS long as he is winning. A losing season and the same actions will be looked on in a total different light. Unless caught cheating, or accusations of player abuse, coaches are pretty safe as long as they are winning for less than stellar behavior.

edit: Also, Bill Callahan didn't get fired because he was smug or arrogant. He got fired because he lost. If Bo loses, nobody is going to care about how arrogant he was, and if he were super nice all the time, nobody would give him any more loyalty then they would have Callahan after losing 5 or 6 games. They're measured by wins and losses alone.

So are you saying that if Billy C would have been more successful Husker fans would have been able to look past his smug, arrogant, pompous attitude? If so that is what I am saying as well about why Bo is viewed the way he is.

Bo will be fine even with an occasional tantrum and being arrogant to some of the media...AS long as he is winning. A losing season and the same actions will be looked on in a total different light. Unless caught cheating, or accusations of player abuse, coaches are pretty safe as long as they are winning for less than stellar behavior.

:yeah