Texas Athletes against our running game

unl123

Here are some stats to compare. I think we will win because of our defense. We'll have some success on offense but I don't think we'll see a lot of 30+ yard runs. Hopefully I'm wrong and there are several.

Rush Defense

#19 Texas: 2.63 yards/attempt, 198 yards/game

#63 Idaho: 4.39 yards/attempt, 151 yards/game (360 by Nebraska)

#106 Washington: 5.35 yards/attempt, 207 yards/game (383 by Nebraska)

#111 Western Kentucky: 5.68 yards/attempt, 211 yards/game (289 by Nebraska)

#116 Kansas State: 5.82/attempt, 246 yards/game (451 by Nebraska)

Rush Offense of Texas opponents

#17 UCLA: 5.17 yards/attempt, 223 yards/game (264 against Texas)

#87 Oklahoma: 2.87 yards/attempt, 123 yards/game (124 against Texas)

#102 Rice: 2.83 yards/attempt, 103 yards/game (88 against Texas)

#103 Texas Tech: 3.52 yards/attempt, 103 yards/game (-14 against Texas)

#120 Wyoming: 2.20 yards/attempt, 69 yards/game (58 against Texas)

The moral of the story is, Nebraska hasn't played a good run defense, and Texas hasn't played (stopped) a good run offense.

• Fire 1

Here are some stats to compare. I think we will win because of our defense. We'll have some success on offense but I don't think we'll see a lot of 30+ yard runs. Hopefully I'm wrong and there are several.

Rush Defense

#19 Texas: 2.63 yards/attempt, 198 yards/game

#63 Idaho: 4.39 yards/attempt, 151 yards/game (360 by Nebraska)

#106 Washington: 5.35 yards/attempt, 207 yards/game (383 by Nebraska)

#111 Western Kentucky: 5.68 yards/attempt, 211 yards/game (289 by Nebraska)

#116 Kansas State: 5.82/attempt, 246 yards/game (451 by Nebraska)

Rush Offense of Texas opponents

#17 UCLA: 5.17 yards/attempt, 223 yards/game (264 against Texas)

#87 Oklahoma: 2.87 yards/attempt, 123 yards/game (124 against Texas)

#102 Rice: 2.83 yards/attempt, 103 yards/game (88 against Texas)

#103 Texas Tech: 3.52 yards/attempt, 103 yards/game (-14 against Texas)

#120 Wyoming: 2.20 yards/attempt, 69 yards/game (58 against Texas)

The moral of the story is, Nebraska hasn't played a good run defense, and Texas hasn't played (stopped) a good run offense.

Encouraging statistics. The two best rush offenses Texas has faced it has lost to.

If the O-line played like they did at Kstate then lanes are just going to open up everywhere and we should be fine. I think game will start out slow, but opening up in the 2nd quarter for us.

Texas will look to stop the run, especially TM. We'll have to be patient with the ground game and keep the passing limited to 15 or so. This a different D than what we've been facing. We'll probably have to lean on them a while while mixing in the pass and throwing in some new wrinkles to get reults.

We need to focus on avoiding turnovers. I don't see Texas driving the field much but if we give-up cheap scores via turnovers we could be hosed, taken out of our game.

TX has a far better D than NU has seen, but their strength is in the secondary. UCLA killed TX running the ball, forcing TX to throw, and getting some turnovers. I see no reason NU cant do the same.

NU needs Martinez to be patient and not press things when the big plays arent happening, and NU needs Watson to be patient sticking with the run game knowing the big plays will come in the 2nd half. If NU limits the turnovers they're a better team than anybody on the schedule.

HOld onto the ball. That's it for me. We do that we win. I can see Taylor taking some big shots and coughing it up. I really think we should use Taylor as a decoy to begin the game and let the backs take the hits and do the early pounding. Hopefully by the middle of the 2nd quarter we'll have gotten a turnover or flipped the field from their offense and can get up on points then just keep pounding. This is a game I want to see Rex handle early and often.

HOld onto the ball. That's it for me. We do that we win. I can see Taylor taking some big shots and coughing it up. I really think we should use Taylor as a decoy to begin the game and let the backs take the hits and do the early pounding. Hopefully by the middle of the 2nd quarter we'll have gotten a turnover or flipped the field from their offense and can get up on points then just keep pounding. This is a game I want to see Rex handle early and often.

Agreed. We don't turn the ball over, we win. Period.

Considering the rate we are turning the ball over, this game scares me. I've seen nothing from Texas that worries me. We can grind them down and eventually put them away. But if we turn the ball over, we got problems.

The best thing about our O is the depth. They have a better D than we have faced, but we have Two very capable backs with different approaches and a QB that's lightning fast. Not to mention a good to great O-Line that is only getting better and more aggressive. I LOVE watching Ricky Henry he is one bad ass mutha. I really like our chances if we(which has been stated above)are patient with our game plan.

There's no reason we shouldn't be able to run the ball effectively. I'm not saying we're going for 450 on the ground again, but we should be able to take the blueprint UCLA wrote up and exploit it. We have a more potent running game than they do, and UCLA absolutely gashed them for points. If Watson doesn't outscheme himself trying to make the offense something that its not (a la SDSU) to avoid Muschamp's gameplan, then we're in trouble, cause that D has the capability to be nasty.

We need to hit them with exactly what they're planning for, and impose our will early. If they can't stop what they've planned for 2 weeks for, their offense will be reeling to keep up and play right into our hands.

It's good to see our playmakers have a healthy respect for the Texas D and its many speedy athletes. No doubt if there's one team that can match all the speed on our roster, it's this Texas team.

Burkhead: UT defense presents challenge

Posted by: Steve Sipple on October 11, 2010 at 6:30PM CST

Mack Brown said during the preseason that this Texas defense had the potential to be the best he's had in his 13 years at UT.

The Longhorns haven't necessarily lived up to those lofty expectations to this point. Nevertheless, they do rank sixth nationally in total defense entering Saturday's game in Lincoln.

"They get to the ball quick," Nebraska running back Rex Burkhead said Monday. "They're very athletic all-around, at every position."

Burkhead has firsthand knowledge of Texas linebacker Keenan Robinson's speed. Burkhead, a graduate of Plano (Texas) High, played in high school against Robinson, who attended Plano East.

Robinson, a junior, leads Texas with 50 tackles.

Burkhead also praised third-year Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp.

"He gets them ready to play," Burkhead said.

Texas without a doubt wil be the best defense Nebraska (5-0) has faced this season. But let's face it, that isn't saying much.

Our #1 D is just as, if not faster than what Texas's #1 unit is. Martinez has made our #1 D look foolish at times in practice and our guys have been lining up against Martinez for just shy of 2 years now. (Martinez was doing insane things running the scout team against our #1's last year.)

I think we'll be fine.

It's not the speed that's the question. We have more speed on this Defense than probably any defense in the Mack Brown era. The problem is that they're not playing disciplined football and opposing teams have exploited that. We'll see if Muschamp got things corrected in the past two weeks. I'd expect him to throw the sink at Martinez and try and confuse him but I'd be shocked if we don't give up some huge scrambles on broken plays where our defense over-pursued.