LB situation

Compton got some pt late last week... any word if he's returning to the starting line up this week and david moves over to the other linebacker spot??? or do we keep david and gomes at lb going against pass happy ok state?

I felt Will didn't tackle real well last year and was general disapointed with his play. I'm not trying to talk smack, it is just what I saw. He has the size Gnomes lacks, but no where near the big play ability. And it would be horrible to see him take David's spot. I have absolutley loved seeing David's play this year, he has the potential to be one of the best to play at Nebraska. It's his first year playing.... really??? He has performed better than any LB I've seen in the last several years.

Compton got some pt late last week... any word if he's returning to the starting line up this week and david moves over to the other linebacker spot??? or do we keep david and gomes at lb going against pass happy ok state?

I felt Will didn't tackle real well last year and was general disapointed with his play. I'm not trying to talk smack, it is just what I saw. He has the size Gnomes lacks, but no where near the big play ability. And it would be horrible to see him take David's spot. I have absolutley loved seeing David's play this year, he has the potential to be one of the best to play at Nebraska. It's his first year playing.... really??? He has performed better than any LB I've seen in the last several years.

We can have two LB's on the field at once, our Peso package is made to have two LB's, two safeties, and a monster/rover back.

David is putting up stats but I still think Dillard turned into one of the better linebackers we have had in awhile.

As far as Compton is concerned, Carl Pelini stated on Husker Sports nightly Tuesday evening that Compton is ready to play but he just isn't ready to play a full game "conditioning-wise". He did everything he could during his injury, but he was still rather limited.

Before last season Dillard was fairly average. Players improve. We can't make assumptions based on what Compton did as a freshman. Plus Compton is a Mike and David is the Will. Folks don't want Compton to replace David they want to get back to base defense with two LB's We don't have the the personnel to stop the run in dime like last season

From the OWH:

Compton's playing status

Will Compton will be further along when the Huskers travel to Oklahoma State, but coach Bo Pelini declined to say Tuesday how that might dictate what NU does at linebacker against the Cowboys.

Nebraska stayed in its dime package against Texas until using Compton with Lavonte David on the Longhorns' final possession. It was the first game action for Compton, who suffered a broken foot two days before the season started.

“He has more than just a week of practice under his belt and I think that helps the guy,” Pelini said. “I think he's about ready to go.”

Defensive coordinator Carl Pelini said Compton is fine physically.

“He is probably not in the shape he would have been had he been playing throughout,” Carl Pelini said. “I don't think his foot is bothering him at all, and I don't think he thinks about it.”

Im anxious to see how Will and Lavonte mesh on the feild together. :bonesflag:

One thing is probably for sure, the defensive communication will improve. Still can't believe I see Crick and the other Dlinemen looking back at David for their call and the ball is being snapped. This I think would even help free up David even more. Less thinking more being an athlete and making plays.

I doubt our lineup and formation changes much with OSU and Mizzou on the schedule.

I disagree. We may see more dime and special packages against Mizzou because they do not run. We may see Lavonte David on the field as the only linebacker on the field against Mizzou, but we will actually get to see how the peso is supposed to be run this week against OSU if Compton is ready to go which I hope he is. Having Compton in the game will help out our front 6-7 a great deal.