Nebraska hasn't beaten a team inside the top 20 since...

tschu

Yeah, I agree that NU has been abysmal against top teams for the past decade. But nearly every top program has suffered through these same sort of streaks. Alabama, USC, LSU, Texas, tOSU——they all had down periods where they couldn’t beat anyone. Michigan and Notre Dame are going through theirs right now. NU is just now emerging from such a dark period. We heard about the Top-20 streak for a couple of years. Then we beat the #20 team, OU. Now it’s the Top-19 steak. If we beat Okie Lite today it’ll be the Top-14 streak. We’ll prolly keep seeing jackass sportswriters touting these arbitrary “streaks” until we finally beat the #1 team. But I guess they have to have *something* to fill those column inches.

Actually there was never a top 20 streak spoken of because we beat #20 Michigan in 2005. I still think it's amazing because all those teams you listed never went 2-22 or 0-22 or whatever against good teams. They may have done it for 4 or 5 years, but not a decade. I'll gladly be proven wrong but I really doubt any traditional powerhouse was ever so consistently bad against top teams for so long.

Maybe Oklahoma from 1990-98? They were much worse than the Huskers in the 2000's. Remember we went to a National Championship game, we were in big 12 championship games. We only have 2 non-bowl game seasons. Really it wasnt a bad decade for about 75% of college football teams

Don’t we already have a thread on this? LINK

In the other thread I said this streak is arbitrary BS. Since when do we talk about the Top 19 in college football? Everyone in the civilized world talks about the Top 20, don’t they? Besides even if we beat #16 Okie Lite this Saturday, then some dick will ask when our streak of not beating a Top 15 team will end.

So civilized people only deal in multiples of five?
Well. Yes. When is the last time you saw an AP Top 19 poll on espn?

Regardless of how you chop it up, Nebraska has been abysmal against highly ranked opponents in the last decade. Whether you wanna say they're 2-22 against top 20 opponents (beat Michigan and OU) or 0-22 against top 19 opponents or 0-18 against top 15 opponents... it's all very very bad.

FWIW, Okie St. is #14 in the BCS, which most media sources consider to be the official college football rankings from this point on. So we end the uncivilized and civilized streaks with a win today. chuckleshuffle We will still have a 13-game losing streak against the top 10, although that's not nearly as disturbing (damn Callahan should've beaten Auburn though :madash ).

Yeah, I agree that NU has been abysmal against top teams for the past decade. But nearly every top program has suffered through these same sort of streaks. Alabama, USC, LSU, Texas, tOSU——they all had down periods where they couldn’t beat anyone. Michigan and Notre Dame are going through theirs right now. NU is just now emerging from such a dark period. We heard about the Top-20 streak for a couple of years. Then we beat the #20 team, OU. Now it’s the Top-19 steak. If we beat Okie Lite today it’ll be the Top-14 streak. We’ll prolly keep seeing jackass sportswriters touting these arbitrary “streaks” until we finally beat the #1 team. But I guess they have to have *something* to fill those column inches.

I tried explaining this in the last thread, but there was never a "top 20" streak that changed. It was always, from the beginning of discussions talking about it (spurred on by that newspaper article), teams inside the top 20. Always. We beat Michigan in '05 (#20), we beat Oklahoma last year (#20) and we beat Arizona (#20).

Nebraska hasn't beaten a team inside the top 20 since...

A few hours ago :)

I am glad that we finally got this monkey off our backs. We have had so much dissapointment since our last win against a ranked opponent. Fumble against Texas at home in 2006, Texas Tech in Overtime in 2008 VA Tech and a bomb to win the game 2009 and of course Texas and .01 2009. Lets break that top 10 streak this week!!!! GBR