Is Mizzou a primarily passing or running team?

Here's the thing about Missouri. I don't know about their stats against Oklahoma last night, but even in their most dire moments of needing to run the football, they still pass. In their bowl game against Navy last year, Navy played one down linemen at one point and Missouri was STILL passing the ball. Expect to see them throwing the ball with Gabbert still quite a bit.

Also, Missouri made it down to the Oklahoma two yard line a couple of times last night and had to settle for a field goal at one point. I think Oklahoma didn't come prepared to play and I think Missouri played the best game of their school's history. This week doesn't bode well for them coming off of a big win like that.

You might take a look at last nights stats then, Missouri ran 39 times for 178 yards against OU, compared to 42 passes. And on first down, Missouri ran 18 times for 102 yards, and threw 19 times. If they can keep that balance, we're in trouble.

As I said in my post, I don't know about their stats from Oklahoma, but they are primarily a passing football team and have (more often than not) shown the world that they will often pass even when they should run the football. One game doesn't change the fact that they have still shown tendencies of doing so this year AND did it in the bowl game last year.

They have ran the ball in the past, in 2008 when they came in a stomped a hole in NU during homecoming they ran the ball 34 times for 201 yards, and only threw it 24 times.

Even last year they tried to run it, they ran 35 times, but only for 91 yards.

Expect MU to run 30+ times on Saturday, and how the Huskers respond will be a huge factor in the final score.

They usually favor the pass, but look for them to come out running against us, duh, we can't defend the run (at least on paper). Missouri loves using screen plays, quick slant patterns and zone read schemes a lot, all things that NU matches up against greatly. Their offense is still really potent, though, and will give us it's best shot.

Will we run the Peso against them or will we go with the Dime package primarily? I'm still learning about football as I spent my whole life playing hockey. Thanks.

We will run Peso. If you ask me, Missouri was the primary reason Bo went to the Peso scheme, since we play them every year.

exactly

Yes they had success running on Boomer, but so did Air Force(I know they run the option and blah blah), Florida St. out rushed them in a loss, and Cincy averaged 5 yards against them. This isn't the usual stout Boomer defense.

However what was interesting was Mizzou would have the ball inside the one, and still be in the gun, it cost them in the fourth and they had to settle for a FG. Any team right now would be foolish not to attempt to pound it up the gut against NU, something that the last few weeks have proven to be obtainable. But there is no Kendall Hunter in Mizzou's backfield.

Again this will depend on ball security and tackling. Boomer gave the game away in the first half, when they twice turned the ball over in the redzone. And last year at Columbia was one of the finest displays of open field tackling the NU has had in a while.

Do the basic things and NU is easily a 14 point victor.

Missouri uses zero formations with the quarterback under center. The only plays they ever run that way are quarterback sneaks and quarterback kneels. Otherwise, it's all shotgun, all the time.

They usually favor the pass, but look for them to come out running against us, duh, we can't defend the run (at least on paper). Missouri loves using screen plays, quick slant patterns and zone read schemes a lot, all things that NU matches up against greatly. Their offense is still really potent, though, and will give us it's best shot.

Will we run the Peso against them or will we go with the Dime package primarily? I'm still learning about football as I spent my whole life playing hockey. Thanks.

We will run Peso. If you ask me, Missouri was the primary reason Bo went to the Peso scheme, since we play them every year.

Agreed.

I think we faced the best offense we're going to see all season yesterday. The best in the Big 12 in fact.

I love that Missouri is ranked in the top 10. Their fans are going to be even more hyped.

If we don't play horribly or have a lot of turnovers we should handle Missouri.

But we're playing at home...

But we're playing at home...

To be honest, I expect this little quirk in our game to be fixed in time for the Missouri game.

Now that the problem has been identified, Bo and the staff will fix it. They talked to the players and asked them what their thoughts were on why it was happening. It's a coaching thing (as in not having the team fully prepared to go out and play), and now that Bo and the others know about it, they can get the problem solved.

If we can withstand OSU's offensive attack, we can withstand Missouri's. I'm more worried about our Offense holding on to and moving the ball.

You gave up 41 points and nearly 500 yards of total offense. You won that game because OSU doesn't even TRY to play defense. We actually have a defense this year and the O is still pretty potent and balanced (not 2007/08 quality, but still pretty good).

I'm not making any predictions. It's going to be a tough game, but I would not use the OSU game as any sort of barometer for what might happen.