Who needs to have the better game?

One thing I love about Ne is we usually know how to control big name players. It's those players that we don't expect to do big things that usually hurt us. Texas qb for example. Didn't think he would run so much and it hurt us, but any big name players have all been shut down or slowed down enough.

Justin DUI Blackmon and Kendall Hunter say what's up. NU failed to shut either down and I'd take 160 receiving and 2 TDs as slowed down for any of our WRs.

I know it was one game and somewhat of an abnomally, but NU never did shut either of the two down. In fact one could thank OSU's OC for not tunning Hunter in the 2nd half and perhaps costing them the game.

Did the OP watch the Mizzou/OU game? I was pretty buzzed by that point, but it looked like to me that Mizzou was able to move the ball on the ground pretty well.

In all honesty, I think our defense needs to force the Mizzou offense to make some key mistakes (turnovers). Our rushing defense has yet to impress me this year, along with our pass rush. Let's face it, Okie state didn't play that well against us.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm very nervous about this game. There is a lot of pressure riding on it.

If Gabbert has a bad night I'm feeling confident that Missouri will lose. Just my opinion obviously. That said, the two games Taylor strugled the most in turned into our two worst offensive performances of the season.

Thank you. It's about time somebody came out and said that. Our offense relies a whole bunch on Martinez. His performances so far have affected the entire offense. Of course that's because he is the quarterback. There's no doubt in my mind he needs to have a solid game against that Mizzou D if we expect to do any damage.

Yep.

But it's not just because he's the qb. We had a servicable qb last year but our offense was complete junk vs BigXII defenses. Monstrous difference this year as Tmart has defenses wildly adjusting to his outrageous speed leaving our wrs WIDE OPEN all over the place.

Now, if he can just teach our wrs to catch the ball we'll be unstoppable.

Definitely Martinez. Missouri knows exactly what their offensive identity is. Gabbert has no need to be the hero. Just stay calm and let the system work through him. The running game is going to get its yards and keep the defense off balance enough to get guys open in the short passing game with relatively easy reads.

Nebraska has no identity. Watson's teams rarely do. It looked like we were extremely zone read heavy, but it was shut down vs. Texas and then it almost disappeared against Okie St. We were able to throw it around a little against the Pokes, but we won't face another pass defense that bad. Our O-line isn't good enough at run blocking to simply feed the backs and maintain long drives. We have and will continue to rely on Martinez getting a big play here and there, whether running or passing.

If Martinez doesn't have a couple runs over 20 and/or a couple passes over 30, it probably means Nebraska had a real rough outing and probably lost. The same thing could happen to Gabbert and Missouri could have 400 yards and win 31-13.

Gabbert has to have the better game. The problem is that I think he has improved enough as a passing weapon and their running game has improved...while our defense is not as good as last year. As long as Martinez doesn't turn the ball over he will be OK. To me this game comes down to if the Blackshirts can rise to the occasion and lock down the #6 team in the country. We have to eliminate third down conversions. If Misery consistently moves it on drives we will have a tough time winning. That's why our defense must force Gabbert into a bad game.

No way Bo is putting this game on his freshman QB...he is putting it on the Blackshirts to prove they can execute what they need to do to beat the best opponent we have played to date.

I think we should be focusing on somebody else to have a good game instead of Gabbert and Martinez and that somebody is Nebraska's D-Line.

In order to win this game we have to put a lot of pressure on Gabbert to force him to make some bad throws and allow our secondary to capitalize on Gabberts mistakes. The D-Line hasn't had a SOLID game yet and they need to step it up against on of the best offenses in the nation with a good QB. The D-Line needs to play their best football this Saturday because whether you want to admit it or not this is probably Nebraskas most important game of the season because whoever wins this game will be playing in the Big 12 Championship game.

Gabbert 181/269 passing (67%) 11 TDs 3 ints 137.85 rating

Martinez 66/111 ( 59%) 8 TDs 3 ints 156.99 rating

Ncaa stats

Consider the stats. Gabbert and T-Magic are fairly close in passing. I think Gabbert is a better passer—one of the better pro-style QBs in the nation. But T-Magic has the added threat of the run at any time, which helps out his passing stats. That, and T-Magic just started passing the ball last week. /wink

To the original question, either QB could lose the game with an off night—if they stayed in the game long enough. Both teams have capable backups ready to take the reigns.

I think we should be focusing on somebody else to have a good game instead of Gabbert and Martinez and that somebody is Nebraska's D-Line.

In order to win this game we have to put a lot of pressure on Gabbert to force him to make some bad throws and allow our secondary to capitalize on Gabberts mistakes. The D-Line hasn't had a SOLID game yet and they need to step it up against on of the best offenses in the nation with a good QB. The D-Line needs to play their best football this Saturday because whether you want to admit it or not this is probably Nebraskas most important game of the season because whoever wins this game will be playing in the Big 12 Championship game.

Huskerjock, I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head, the line play will decide this game. The only change would be if Martinez gets a couple of big plays even if MU is holding him to 1 or 2 yds per play, Martinez has such explosiveness, he can turn a game around in one snap of the ball.

But, that being said, if MU can control Nebraska's front four, and make Pellini take some chances with the Blitz, Missouri may be able to spring Jackson or Moe for some big plays down the field.

Wow, only Wednesday, can't wait for kickoff.

Gabbert 181/269 passing (67%) 11 TDs 3 ints 137.85 rating

Martinez 66/111 ( 59%) 8 TDs 3 ints 156.99 rating

Ncaa stats

Consider the stats. Gabbert and T-Magic are fairly close in passing. I think Gabbert is a better passer—one of the better pro-style QBs in the nation. But T-Magic has the added threat of the run at any time, which helps out his passing stats. That, and T-Magic just started passing the ball last week. /wink

To the original question, either QB could lose the game with an off night—if they stayed in the game long enough. Both teams have capable backups ready to take the reigns.

I doubt anyone will argue that Martinez is the better runner, but the real question is whether Gabbert is a better runner than Gilbert from Texas. I believe Gabbert is a better runner than Gilbert. If Gabbert has 65+ rushing yards against us, Mizzou wins the game. I'm still waiting for this defense that Bo claimed would be better than last year to show up. Games are won in the trenches, and this is where defense starts. It doesn't matter that we have better secondary and linebacker play because we are losing the trenchwar with out DL, and our defensive ratings are showing it. If Mizzou slashes through our DL like they did OU's, we will get beat the same way that we used to beat people.

Huskerjock, I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head, the line play will decide this game. The only change would be if Martinez gets a couple of big plays even if MU is holding him to 1 or 2 yds per play, Martinez has such explosiveness, he can turn a game around in one snap of the ball.

But, that being said, if MU can control Nebraska's front four, and make Pellini take some chances with the Blitz, Missouri may be able to spring Jackson or Moe for some big plays down the field.

Wow, only Wednesday, can't wait for kickoff.

I'll buy that but I think it will take a more creative approach, because nothing I have seen from the Dline tells me they can pressure Gabbert or stop their running plays. If we try to drop seven or eight, they will run it with those little backs, or Gabbert will have all day to find one of five receivers. Given time I think he will find them. Too bad there wasn't a bye week because I think it would have been great to have worked on various blitzing schemes. I think Carl will have to gamble in order to stop them, unless Gabbert has an off night. I was very impressed with the way their offensive line pulled, blew ou off the line of scrimmage and were blocking the second level 7or 8 yards down field before the ou D touched the RB. If we get too light in the britches with smaller faster LBs they can chew up five to fifteen yard chunks pretty handy. That is totally different than the weak running game I counted on from M

As to TM getting away for long scores a couple times, I am counting on it. What I worry about is where the other points come from. I would look for Misery to score in the thirties. We have to be balanced and not have anymore than one turnover IMO. This. Is truly a game where both our backs and recievers need to catch and hold on for an entire game.

I doubt anyone will argue that Martinez is the better runner, but the real question is whether Gabbert is a better runner than Gilbert from Texas. I believe Gabbert is a better runner than Gilbert. If Gabbert has 65+ rushing yards against us, Mizzou wins the game. I'm still waiting for this defense that Bo claimed would be better than last year to show up. Games are won in the trenches, and this is where defense starts. It doesn't matter that we have better secondary and linebacker play because we are losing the trenchwar with out DL, and our defensive ratings are showing it. If Mizzou slashes through our DL like they did OU's, we will get beat the same way that we used to beat people.

You and me both. I'm beginning to think we should start looking for Steinkuhler on the side of milk boxes. Through seven games he has 29 tackles. Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I expected a LOT more out of him this year. Overall this defense has not performed how I expected. Even understanding the roles these guys are asked to play - pocket containment, not balls-out rushing up the field, we're still not seeing what I expected from the D Line. We're getting gashed on the ground by even mediocre teams because our D Linemen aren't shedding blocks, and if LaVonte doesn't make the tackle it seems nobody does. Hagg and Martin have a combined 40 tackles on the season, with another 21 from May, Whaley and Compton combined. COMBINED. Even counting all of those guys together you still don't equal David's 78 tackles, and frankly, I'm terrified what'll happen if David gets hurt (by Thenarse, if not the other team :rolleyes: ).

I agree that if we don't shore up our problems that we've exhibited so far this year, we're going to get whipped. It'll take a performance by Missouri's offense like our O did against SDSU & Texas for us to pull out a win the way our DEF has played so far.