Big 12 suspends Eric Martin for one game

Nexus

If Cunningham and his butt buddy Franklin didnt go on about this for 30 min, this wouldnt be a topic at all. If the player got up right away would he still have been suspended??? Just because the kid took a violent hit while he half ass running down the field doesnt warrant a suspension. No way that was helmet to helmet the kid is 4 inches taller than Martin.

All in all.... Reason #2987 to leave the Big 12.

This just irritates me. In over a year and a half that the conference has had the right to do this for these reasone they pick this hit, this player, this team THIS SCHOOL to pull it out on. I'm callin Beebe out on this on. He might as well make it public, he is disgruntled with the entire University of Nebraska, and it is his worst nightmare for us to win the Big 12 title. Sorry Beebe, you may have just gave us all the motivation this team needed. You're stupid. For some of you _________ saying the hit was unecassary, watch the film, Niles was yet to even pass the first wave when the hit took place. For all Eric knew, Niles was right on his hip. Learn football before blasting someone for making an awesome block.

Just a question:

How do you lead with the shoulder without going sideways? Running at someone at full speed your head is always going to get there first. Martin's problem is that he went into Hudson with his head down and that is always going to get called when the refs see it.

A ref was looking directly at the play when it happened. Or, at the very least, his head (and therefore eyes) were looking directly at the play. Granted, the ref couldn't see the hit from the other side, but he still didn't call a flag.

But a suspension here is totally unwarranted. This wasn't a receiver jumping for a ball across the middle or the kicker getting blindsided. There was definitely more intent in the guy swinging at Martinez' head.

This is an excellent point. If you compare both the hit on Martinez and the hit on the OSU player, the Martinez hit clearly looks more malicious. It was the second time this season that a player had dome-pieced Taylor with their arm. Martinez' head also slammed onto the turf pretty hard. I've seen that exact play cause a concussion before. Yet, because Martinez didn't get hurt, there was no discussion about it and the game just kept going. Cunningham didn't say crap about that hit on Martinez. What Cunningham, just because one guy got hurt the other one wasn't was bad?

If you're going to suspend Martin for a play that wasn't even flagged, then why aren't you going to suspend the player who WAS flagged? It's a completely contradictory mindset. And, considering the only true way to appeal this decision is to go to the man who gave it (Beebe), this just comes off looking like Beebe trying to exact some revenge for hitting his pocketbook and nearly making him lose his job.

Okay this just in, Specials teams is not for the faint of heart! But OSU puts a guy who is one year removed from back surgery on special teams and he looks like he is out for a saturday afternoon jog. Shouldn't be any contact there, right? Man you better have your head on a swivel when you're on kickoff coverage, cause the hits come from everywhere. How about suspend the announcers a week for their unsolicited preaching, soapbox harping on and on and on about a play that occured in front of a game official who apparently deemed it a clean hit. Beebe, you look more and more like the dumb SOB we just knew you were. I'm surprised he didn't call the officials and have Paul's TD taken away just because he can. We better watch for a 5th down for MU this week as Beebe may add "special" rules for this game.

Eric Martin suspended 1 game for hit in OSU game

Nebraska linebacker Eric Martin is the first player suspended by the Big 12 Conference under an NCAA rule implemented last year that gives conferences authority to review flagrant plays and impose sanctions.

Martin will miss No. 14 Nebraska's game Saturday against No. 7 Missouri because of a hit he delivered to Oklahoma State freshman Andrew Hudson. The Big 12 announced the one-game suspension on Wednesday, and Big 12 assistant commissioner Bob Burda said Nebraska is not appealing.

Martin, blocking on Niles Paul's 100-yard kickoff return in the first quarter, delivered a hit near Hudson's head that knocked Hudson to the ground.

Hudson lay on the field for several minutes while Oklahoma State medical personnel attended to him. He eventually stood on his feet but was taken off the field on a motorized cart. Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said after the game that Hudson would be fine.

"Mr. Martin committed a flagrant act of targeting an opponent with the crown of his helmet in violation of NCAA Football Rules," Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said in a news release. "This dangerous hit is one that we in the football community are trying to remove from the game."

FULL STORY

He deserved to be suspended not because of the hit but because of the lack of decency and class he showed after the hit. The Okie St. player was still down on the field and he was laughing and high-fiving people on the sidelines. Right then I realized how immature and young Mr. Martin still is and why he can't be trusted to start for us yet...

How ironic...a guy posting about class with the tag "IH8CU"....

Anyways, since no one else has brought this up...what if E-Mart were white????

Blake Gideon, S for Texas, has been flagged multiple times this year for "targeting defenseless players", yet has not received a suspension.

And for all of you calling him a "thug", that is absolutely ridiculous...I guarantee if Marlowe or Compton did something just like this, nobody would call them a thug...

He deserved to be suspended not because of the hit but because of the lack of decency and class he showed after the hit. The Okie St. player was still down on the field and he was laughing and high-fiving people on the sidelines. Right then I realized how immature and young Mr. Martin still is and why he can't be trusted to start for us yet...

Blake Gideon, S for Texas, has been flagged multiple times this year for "targeting defenseless players", yet has not received a suspension.

And for all of you calling him a "thug", that is absolutely ridiculous...I guarantee if Marlowe or Compton did something just like this, nobody would call them a thug...

This has NOTHING to do with race. The only color that's important to this discussion is RED.

Was Martin called a thug by the broadcasters?

Was Martin called a thug by the broadcasters?

I don't recall hearing the announcers say that, but I do remember vividly them calling Asante a thug.

I was referencing the Mizzou troll and others on this board...

:bs:

If the guy that Martin hit gets up as quickly as possible, then this is a non issue. The announcers even said that the Oklahoma State player had back surgery before, so that may have been a reason why he didn't get up fast. Completely clean and legal hit. At first I wasn't sure, but looking at it again the other day, he lead with his shoulder. He may have been laughing about something else on the sidelines, we don't know.

What about the head to head on Martinez?

Oh wait, since Martinez got up quickly it doesn't matter, he wears an 'N' on the side of his helmet, my mistake. Nothing to see here Big XII.