Big 12 suspends Eric Martin for one game

Nexus

Martin on the hit:

"We just set up a return, and that's who I was supposed to block," Martin said. "He didn't see me coming, and it just happened the way it happened. The announcers made it sound worse than it was. I wasn't over there laughing at him or anything. I was tired from that play, and I had to go on kickoff right after that, so that's what we were laughing at, because I get tired real fast and I didn't want to go out on kickoff. I was just talking with my coaches about putting somebody else in on that kickoff because I was tired.

"So it wasn't nothing like that. I wasn't laughing at him. I actually felt bad that I did that, especially when I found out he had back surgery. That really made me feel bad. That's kind of what was running through my mind. I wanted to go apologize to him, but they already took him off on the cart. It wasn't like I was trying to hurt the man on purpose. I was just making a block for our team. It's just stuff happens."

• Fire 1

I can see getting flagged for helmet to helmet, but in no way did he "target"(other than picking him out to block) the player with "the crown of his helmet"(unless that region somehow includes the side of the helmet as well). Defiantly not a suspension worthy hit and no where near as bad as some of the NFL hits were.

Would love to see Bo's raw and uncensored opinion on this, but I'm sure he and T.O. will keep it politically correct as usual.

Pardon my ignorance but does anyone remember the last time a player was suspended for something like this in any major college league?

Andy Staples said the Big Ten suspended a couple people last year. SEC just suspended a player from Mississippi St. yesterday for helmet-to-helmet play against UAB. Last week another SEC player from South Carolina was suspended for one half of the next game for a helmet-to-helmet against Kentucky QB.

BTW, all those players mentioned above are LB's too.

Again if they kid had gotten up right away (or at least not been carted off the field) then nothing would've came from it, maybe just a note to say to try not to do it. Add to it all the talk in the NFL and it makes it look worse than it actually was. The play doesn't warrant a suspension by following the letter of the Big 12 law (heck even the spirit). He led with his shoulder and they banged helmets, it's not like he speared the guy.

Yea, I'd qualify that as incidental helmet to helmet contact. Martin most certainly lead with his shoulder, in contrast to Rickey, leading with his head. And honestly these are aggressive players caught up in a confusing day and age where they are brought up to be aggressive, but the game is being toned down right now. If you ask me, it's for the better, but there are mixed signals going on right now. Like I believe Jon Gruden said on Monday Night Football this past week: what do you tell your hard-hitting safety, when it's a crucial down in a playoff game? It's a good rule, but players who do lead with their head, IMO, are simply playing aggressive and not being thugs. Regardless, they should cut that out.

Martin, you can tell by the orientation of his body that he's leading with his shoulder. It's not like his back is remotely parallel to the ground. And what everyone else said about having your head on a swivel is correct. Guy should have seen that hit coming but wasn't paying attention.

MOST people agree that not playing within the rules constitutes "dirty" play, i.e. cheating.

Right. Keep that in mind the next time you see a false start, holding, or intentional PI. Every QB who's intentionally grounded a ball is a cheater. Every defender that's made a horsecollar or a facemask is a thug. I don't think you're being unbiased here, at all. If anyone should be suspended for a game, it should be Thenarse for turning himself into a missile and spearing our guy. In fact, that should be a penalty regardless of whether he hits his own guy, an opponent, or nobody.

I can't wait for the chorus of "I told you so" from the Husker fans.

EDIT - and I'm SURE this isn't timed to coincide with Nebraska playing a game for the control of the North, with a trip to the CCG on the line.

I'm sure this ruling has NOTHING to do with that. :rolleyes:

This. Is there any question that Beebe has sent down the message to his officials to welcome us out in his way? We will get no preferential calls this year.

F' the Big SWC, errrrrr, the Big 12 -2.

"Mr. Martin committed a flagrant act of targeting an opponent with the crown of his helmet in violation of NCAA Football Rules," said Dan Beebe, the Big 12 Conference commissioner, in a statement. "This dangerous hit is one that we in the football community are trying to remove from the game."

Read more: http://newsok.com/ne...4#ixzz13b67Yrsd

Seriously. This is pathetic. The guy got lit up Dan. I wish Dan Beebe would suit up and run down the field on a kickoff against us. I want him to wear his stupid looking glasses as well.

Seriously, Eric Martin cleans someone's clock and you can CLEARLY see his shoulder lowering and he gets suspended.

Pathetic.

However you look at it there was more shoulder then helmet, but since there's been a greater emphasis of those types of hits (hitting a defenseless player) then it's going to happen. It's crap yeah, and if the kid hadn't been hurt and had just popped right up, then nothing further would've been done.

Please tell me how running down the field covering a kickoff makes a player "defenseless."

"Mr. Martin committed a flagrant act of targeting an opponent with the crown of his helmet in violation of NCAA Football Rules," said Dan Beebe, the Big 12 Conference commissioner, in a statement. "This dangerous hit is one that we in the football community are trying to remove from the game."

Read more: http://newsok.com/nebraskas-eric-martin-suspended-for-hit-on-osus-andrew-hudson/article/3508564#ixzz13b67Yrsd

there was helmet to helmet... but he didnt target him with the crown of his helmet. this is absolutely a terrible decision. the big 12 and its members should be embarrassed.

He deserved to be suspended not because of the hit but because of the lack of decency and class he showed after the hit. The Okie St. player was still down on the field and he was laughing and high-fiving people on the sidelines. Right then I realized how immature and young Mr. Martin still is and why he can't be trusted to start for us yet...

He deserved to be suspended not because of the hit but because of the lack of decency and class he showed after the hit. The Okie St. player was still down on the field and he was laughing and high-fiving people on the sidelines. Right then I realized how immature and young Mr. Martin still is and why he can't be trusted to start for us yet...

Getting or giving high fives for a successful kickoff return for a touchdown. Classless, I agree.

:facepalm:

It's near the end.

Advance to the 1:35 mark. The hit is in the lower right quad of the screen. Head hunting - clear as a bell. Cheap, dirty shot... and then laughing on the sideline. Thug play.

How is this cheap or dirty again?

Because of the rules:

"According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association's 2005 Football Rules and Interpretations: "No player shall use his helmet (including the face mask) to butt or ram an opponent or attempt to punish him. There shall be no spearing. No player shall strike a runner with the crown or the top of his helmet....""

I didn't ask how it was illegal... I understand why people believe that... although they are wrong.

I asked "How is this cheap or dirty?"

I would LOOOOOOVE to hear your answer.

MOST people agree that not playing within the rules constitutes "dirty" play, i.e. cheating.

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg