Big 12 suspends Eric Martin for one game

Nexus

He deserved to be suspended not because of the hit but because of the lack of decency and class he showed after the hit. The Okie St. player was still down on the field and he was laughing and high-fiving people on the sidelines. Right then I realized how immature and young Mr. Martin still is and why he can't be trusted to start for us yet...

Wow. Someone please remind me why we removed the negative feedback button.

He deserved to be suspended not because of the hit but because of the lack of decency and class he showed after the hit.  The Okie St. player was still down on the field and he was laughing and high-fiving people on the sidelines.  Right then I realized how immature and young Mr. Martin still is and why he can't be trusted to start for us yet...

Again, how do you know he was laughing and high fiving people due to the hit? Were you standing next to him? Did you hear the conversation? Are players not allowed to talk, laugh and celebrate a TD if a kid is injured on the field?

Fine... ill post it again...

ERIC MARTIN:

"We just set up a return, and that's who I was supposed to block," Martin said. "He didn't see me coming, and it just happened the way it happened. The announcers made it sound worse than it was. I wasn't over there laughing at him or anything. I was tired from that play, and I had to go on kickoff right after that, so that's what we were laughing at, because I get tired real fast and I didn't want to go out on kickoff. I was just talking with my coaches about putting somebody else in on that kickoff because I was tired.

"So it wasn't nothing like that. I wasn't laughing at him. I actually felt bad that I did that, especially when I found out he had back surgery. That really made me feel bad. That's kind of what was running through my mind. I wanted to go apologize to him, but they already took him off on the cart. It wasn't like I was trying to hurt the man on purpose. I was just making a block for our team. It's just stuff happens."

Quit whining...Leonard Johnson got the same suspension for the same reason at Iowa State in 2008. When I complained about it here, everyone told me what a dirty player Johnson was and how the suspension was fair and that type of hit was dangerous...

I guess what you were REALLY saying is "Who cares? It's Iowa State and they should be ruthlessly punished by the NCAA every time the opportunity arises but if it happens to OUR guy then it's a blatant and personal slap in the face by the Big 12"

Well, guess what. God has already taken care of ruthlessly punishing ISU fans by making them ISU fans and the Big 12 is not out to get Nebraska. There is a precident for the suspension and I would expect the Big 12 to inforce their rules fairly for everyone...though I won't be holding my breath for that to happen.

• Fire 1

:facepalm:(I usually refrain from using the facepalm guy, but this calls for it) How the hell is it up to the Big 12 to give out suspensions? This makes no sense to me. By what right does the Big 12 (Dan Beebe) suspend a player? If any player is being suspended it should be coming down from the NCAA. Even with all the NFL monkey business going on right now, if the announcers (I guess now I know why you guys were so mad at them) hadn't made such a huge racket about the play, it never gets mentioned again. I think a serious look should be given to ignoring this ruling, this is grade-A BS.
Martin's hit was a tough, brutal one. You can tell on the replay that Hudson never saw Martin until the last second. Martin caught him clean, high in the chest and below the chin. I've seen the replay countless times. If that was helmet-to-helmet, it doesn't look intentional.

My take has been that Martin's hit wasn't the crime so much as his reaction to it,standing over Hudson and celebrating. And maybe that is part of this.

Hudson lay on the ground for several minutes. It gave the ABC TV crew of Ron Franklin and Ed Cunningham time to lay into Martin. Cunningham went overboard. Football is a brutal game. You see hits like Martin every week. You don't see suspensions. LINK

Shatel is right on the money. What did it was Martin standing over the guy after the hit. And the announcers going off on it like some sort of Nazi war crime just happened. That, and Dan Beebe being an asshat with an agenda.

Martin's hit was a tough, brutal one. You can tell on the replay that Hudson never saw Martin until the last second. Martin caught him clean, high in the chest and below the chin. I've seen the replay countless times. If that was helmet-to-helmet, it doesn't look intentional.

My take has been that Martin's hit wasn't the crime so much as his reaction to it,standing over Hudson and celebrating. And maybe that is part of this.

Hudson lay on the ground for several minutes. It gave the ABC TV crew of Ron Franklin and Ed Cunningham time to lay into Martin. Cunningham went overboard. Football is a brutal game. You see hits like Martin every week. You don't see suspensions. LINK

Shatel is right on the money. What did it was Martin standing over the guy after the hit. And the announcers going off on it like some sort of Nazi war crime just happened. That, and Dan Beebe being an asshat with an agenda.

Dan Beebe is an Arse!

Stupid play by Eric Martin. And here is why. There is no reason to deliver the hit...and it ended up hurting our team. Watch Justin Blatchford, No. 39, at the 1:38 mark of the Martin hit video. Why couldn't Martin just do what Blatchford did? He choose to lay the hit instead, and now he is out for a CRITICAL game against MU. What would have been the reaction if the refs would have choose to put a personal foul on him during the game, thus negating Niles TD return? That could have turned the whole thing toward the Cowboys. Again, not smart. It kind of reminds me of the Big 12 Championship game. Remember Larry Asante going after the horse collar on Shipley. Not smart. That set up the game winning field goal. You just can't hurt your team like that. And it didn't have to be done. Just usher Shipley out of bounds and we win the game.... need a refresher...here you go...

See the 2:54 mark. I know hits happen. And I am not even taking issue with targeting on the helmet hit. It's hard for a defender to level a hit when the player being hit is naturally going to lower his helmet in order to defend himself on most occasions. Just block the guy, don't worry about making the big hit, and move on.

Stupid play by Eric Martin. And here is why. There is no reason to deliver the hit...and it ended up hurting our team. Watch Justin Blatchford, No. 39, at the 1:38 mark of the Martin hit video. Why couldn't Martin just do what Blatchford did? He choose to lay the hit instead, and now he is out for a CRITICAL game against MU. What would have been the reaction if the refs would have choose to put a personal foul on him during the game, thus negating Niles TD return? That could have turned the whole thing toward the Cowboys. Again, not smart. It kind of reminds me of the Big 12 Championship game. Remember Larry Asante going after the horse collar on Shipley. Not smart. That set up the game winning field goal. You just can't hurt your team like that. And it didn't have to be done. Just usher Shipley out of bounds and we win the game.... need a refresher...here you go...

See the 2:54 mark. I know hits happen. And I am not even taking issue with targeting on the helmet hit. It's hard for a defender to level a hit when the player being hit is naturally going to lower his helmet in order to defend himself on most occasions. Just block the guy, don't worry about making the big hit, and move on.

OK, you make that decision running a million miles an hour down the field towards 11 people looking to kill you.

It's near the end.

Advance to the 1:35 mark. The hit is in the lower right quad of the screen. Head hunting - clear as a bell. Cheap, dirty shot... and then laughing on the sideline. Thug play.

Completely legal. Have fun in the Texas 10. I hope they appeal and win so he can hit Gabbert even harder. :bonesflag: