Aldon Smith—can NU keep him out of our backfield?

NUance

Can NU keep Aldon out of the backfield? No you can't. But I don't expect to see him back there too much. It doesn't do Aldon any good to get back there by himself because T-Mart is too athletic. They'd risk T-Mart exploding past the rusher for a huge gain. Aldon and the rest of the D-line will be staying in their lanes to keep T-Mart in front and making him beat them with his arm.

That's a good point, but from what I've seen, Smith is capable of a fast, lane-controlled rush that will at once put pressure on Martinez while also keeping him respectable in run game. Frankly, Smith is a huge concern for me.

If you try to go one on one against him it will be a long afternoon for Nebraska. You will have to double team him all day long to have a chance of stopping him. The good thing for Nebraska is that you have a very fast QB... this could slow down our pass rush and make us contain T-Magic. Just like Suh last year in our building you will get to know Aldon Smith quite well! Cannot wait to see our defense play against your QB. Should be a great game.

The Aldon Smith / Suh comparison is a good one. Smith is not yet up to Suh's ability, but he's the Suh of your line.

Can NU keep Aldon out of the backfield? No you can't. But I don't expect to see him back there too much. It doesn't do Aldon any good to get back there by himself because T-Mart is too athletic. They'd risk T-Mart exploding past the rusher for a huge gain. Aldon and the rest of the D-line will be staying in their lanes to keep T-Mart in front and making him beat them with his arm.

This is exactly what Mizzou needs to do, but I have doubts they can accomplish that. MU plays a lot of movement on D especially up front, and the MU D is somewhat undisciplined. I'm not sure if one is caused by the other, but I think that it results in Mizzou not staying in their rush lanes. It will sometimes lead to big tackles for loss, but it will also mean big runs by Martinez scrabbling. I think that will be the difference in the game - big runs by Martinez due to undisciplined rush by the MU front.

Why don't we have Yoshi starting ahead of Sirles?

Obvious response: Sirles is better

Maybe it's better to say that Sirles is better so far. Yoshi is a mythic force, and allegedly athletic as anyone. It's only a matter of time before he's starting. We didn't bring him from JUCO to ride the bench.

Maybe it's better to say that Sirles is better so far. Yoshi is a mythic force, and allegedly athletic as anyone. It's only a matter of time before he's starting. We didn't bring him from JUCO to ride the bench.

I see what you're saying, but I still believe the best player should play. Whether he's from highschool or JUCO shouldn't matter.

I think Yoshi is physically more gifted than Sirles, but "the best player" is often the guy who knows the playbook best. Yoshi may be the second coming of Orlando Pace, but if he doesn't know who to block, when, and why, he's not "better than" Sirles.

I have no inside information and this isn't a knock on Sirles, but from what I understand the only thing holding Yoshi back is learning the playbook. Once he gets that down enough, I expect him to start the rest of the year.

A good example of this is DeJon Gomes last year. All the talent in the world, but didn't start until the Texas Tech game because he was still learning.

^^^Yeah I don't think Aldon Smith in the backfield all day is necessarily a bad thing for Nebraska. Smith likes to speed rush the end but if he does that all day there are gonna be some big holes for Martinez to take off. Our D is built on blitzing so we can disrupt some things but that lends itself to big plays. Hopefully WE'VE got a good scheme ready that involves Smith covering his assignments instead of trying to beat his man around the edge.

:bonesflag: Please do not compare Suh with Smith! Smith is just a speed rusher.

The break out season to go undefeated and a championship year for the Tigers. Sound great. You forgot one thing, you have to prove it this Saturday at Lincoln on the Huskers football field that you deserve to go to the Championship game.

Please do not whine of who you do not have that would of made the difference in the game. Bring who you have to play the game and the Huskers will do the same. Let play the football game, remember, I don't want to hear excuses. Prove it!

Go

Huskers

Exactly, besides I personally thought he looked better than Sirles in the Okie State game. No disrespect to Sirles who has a great future though

I think yoshi will eventually be the starter. He did look pretty good in okie lite game. But in early games when he played I saw him just completely whiff some blocks. I remember thinking I thought he was supposed to be good but I watched him and he looked horrible.

I watched him when he came in okie lite game close cuz I told my friend we were screwed on his side now, but to my amazement he owned his blocks and you could tell how crazy athletic he is for a guy his size. I really expect alot from him the rest of the year. He must finally be getting it.

I would say he's our best chance against smith. He is really athletic and has great feet, quicker than sirles in my opinion.