The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

You really think its not as big a deal because he didn't flinch? How could he flinch? He didn't see the kick coming. You mean becaue he didn't react to being kicked? Maybe because he's a tough guy who gets hit a lot so he's used to it, he does play football after all. Does that make kicking him ok? Hell no.

Suh literally kicked a man when he was down

If he had been injured, then, yes, Suh should be suspended.

I'm not saying that head slamming wasn't malicious, because it obviously was, but the fact is that Dietrich-Smith wasn't hurt. The problem I have with the whole situation is that players like James Harrison, Tommie Harris, Hines Ward, Haloti Ngata, Shaun Phillips, Shawn Merriman, and Brandon Merriweather have all done much worse things on the field (things that have actually caused some serious injuries), yet all they got were fines. No suspension, just fines. What Suh did to Dietrich-Smith doesn't even compare to Haloti Ngata punching Ben Roethlisberger in the face and breaking his nose or James Harrison body slamming Mohamed Massaquoi into the ground, yet Suh gets suspended. Complete BS.

I was hoping you had something here..but I only found one hit from Harrison on Mohamed and it wasn't a slam...it was a straight up hit that may have been helmet first....I found the Ngata video and he didn't punch Ben...... Sorry man but unless you're talking about different plays those are 2 bad comparisons.

My bad. I was thinking of a totally different play that Harrison made. He body slammed Vince Young. I really don't know how I got those two confused.

Was Suh's play as bad as this? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTLlaMY_9PM

No, that's just idiocy. That's not even losing your head. That's just being an idiot. Jim McMahon was a punk, but that was unwarranted. But why you chose to cherrypick that clip out of all the dirty hits that have occurred is beyond me. If it's because I'm a Packer fan, great. That was certainly during the dark ages of Packer football.

probably because he too was suspended 2 games for it...and there were only 2 other times when a player has been suspended, this being one....right?

Here's my view on the whole situation:

Suh slamming the guy's head into the ground and then accidentally (you can tell very clearly from the video that it was an accident) "stomping" on his arm was a dirty action. No doubt about that. BUT, the Packers player did not get hurt. That's what makes this different in my book from, say, James Harrison body slamming Mohamed Massaquoi into the ground and injuring him. Harrison got a big fine for that, but no suspension. Yesterday, on SportsNation, Beadle said that only two players have ever been suspended for their actions on the field: Albert Haynesworth and some guy from the Stone Ages. If that's true, suspending Suh for something like this is an awful big double standard on the part of the NFL.

So I ask again: if Dietrich-Smith would have been injured, than should Suh be suspended? It's such a dumb premise that because he didn't hurt the guy, he so obviously had no malicious intent.

If he had been injured, then, yes, Suh should be suspended.

I'm not saying that head slamming wasn't malicious, because it obviously was, but the fact is that Dietrich-Smith wasn't hurt. The problem I have with the whole situation is that players like James Harrison, Tommie Harris, Hines Ward, Haloti Ngata, Shaun Phillips, Shawn Merriman, and Brandon Merriweather have all done much worse things on the field (things that have actually caused some serious injuries), yet all they got were fines. No suspension, just fines. What Suh did to Dietrich-Smith doesn't even compare to Haloti Ngata punching Ben Roethlisberger in the face and breaking his nose or James Harrison body slamming Mohamed Massaquoi into the ground, yet Suh gets suspended. Complete BS.

But it's the principal of it all. He did it. Whether or not he injured the guy is irrelevant. It's like saying you shouldn't go to jail if you shoot someone but they're not injured.

I understand what you're saying, but I still don't think what Suh did is worth a suspension. If anything, trying to behead Jake Delhomme in the 2010 preseason was worth a suspension for Suh. All I want is a little consistency from the NFL when it comes to fines and suspensions.

This whole situation feels exactly like when Eric Martin was suspended by the Big XII last year for a block hit made. The block may or may not have been been illegal (it's impossible to tell from the footage the Big XII used to review it), yet Martin got suspended. Then, a few weeks later, an ESPN camera gets footage of a Texas A&M player trying to castrate Ben Cotton. Mike Sherman admitted that they guy did it, yet he didn't get a suspension from his school or the Big XII.

Like I said, all I want is some consistency when it comes to fines and suspensions. Not just for Suh, but for everyone.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw what Suh did. He may as well put a target on his back because he's going to be a target for the ref's for a very long time unless he gets his crappola together both on the field and with regards to the media.

The whole stomping reaction was beyond stupid no matter if it was 1 inch or 5 feet from the guy. Suh's under a microscope so he should know better than to do anything that could even appear to be crossing the line.

If you try to shoot a deaf man but miss and he doesn't know you did it...because he's deaf...should you go to jail?

For that to work you'd have to know that Suh tried to hurt him...and its' been established that he couldn't have been trying to.

Keep teeing them up. ;)

He kicked the guy, its quite clear in the video. He meant to do it. What a wonderful world you must live in for all of your excuses to come together so nicely.

Ndamukong-Suh-Stomping-e1322423457724.jpg

Why does it make a difference to me? Maybe because there are a few on here (a few, not all) who maintain that Suh either A) didn't intend to hit Dietrich-Smith or B) shouldn't be punished because he didn't hurt the guy when he stomped him.

any pics out in the internets of 62's wounded arm post fostomp? Won't hold my breathe waiting for them. :)

You really think its not as big a deal because he didn't flinch? How could he flinch? He didn't see the kick coming. You mean becaue he didn't react to being kicked? Maybe because he's a tough guy who gets hit a lot so he's used to it, he does play football after all. Does that make kicking him ok? Hell no.

Suh literally kicked a man when he was down

Are these serious replies? If you touch a hot stove do you flinch? If you get stepped on by cleats from a 310lb man w/ any sort of force/pressure behind it, do you flinch/make any sort of physical reaction?

Come on man...at least hit preview on your post and read if over before posting it. :)

You really think its not as big a deal because he didn't flinch? How could he flinch? He didn't see the kick coming. You mean becaue he didn't react to being kicked? Maybe because he's a tough guy who gets hit a lot so he's used to it, he does play football after all. Does that make kicking him ok? Hell no. Suh literally kicked a man when he was down

I've only skimmed through this thread, but I see no reason why the argument didn't begin and end with this.

He kicked a guy. Yes, because it was Suh, the media backlash is a bit more intense. But ANY player doing that would have resulted in an ejection and a suspension.

I was a bit embarrassed by it. Nothing he's done before made me feel that way. It was him losing control and costing his team BIG.

My bad. I was thinking of a totally different play that Harrison made. He body slammed Vince Young. I really don't know how I got those two confused.

ehh...this is the type of hit Suh does...body slam. Pretty sure it's technically legal but Suh gets fined for it anyway...so this should have been fined. Was it? And actually I don't think Harrison was the one that did the slamming...although he was in the mix.

If you try to shoot a deaf man but miss and he doesn't know you did it...because he's deaf...should you go to jail?

For that to work you'd have to know that Suh tried to hurt him...and its' been established that he couldn't have been trying to.

Keep teeing them up. ;)

He kicked the guy, its quite clear in the video. He meant to do it. What a wonderful world you must live in for all of your excuses to come together so nicely.

so you're going to hang your hat on that Suh is so uncoordinated and/or blind that just he missed/barely made contact w/ the player who wasn't moving and directly under/to the side of him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZMdfrc-6U8

This should end it....Look at 1:26, I defended Suh until this different angle came out. He clearly stomped on the guys arm. This may have been a "dirty play". Suh however is not a dirty player. He will defiantly get suspended. 3 games minimum. FWIW.

WRONG. Maybe he meant to TRY to kick him...only he can know that. But evidence/video shows he made little to not contact. So it's factually wrong to say he "stomped on the guys arm".

What Suh for sure is guilty of is being a dumbass for even creating the possibility for this misinterpretation.

So what are you trying to argue? That Suh had no intention of hitting Dietrich-Smith with his kick?

Only Suh can know that. All we know is that he didn't. However no one in the media ever mentions this fact. They act as if he made solid, damaging contact and this creates a false image and an unwarranted LEVEL of outrage...which I'm sure/had to influence the discipline from the NFL. They caved to the pressure...a cowardly move.

Same thing happened when Artest was suspended an entire season in the NBA. He didn't even attempt a swing or anything to any fan or player...he just ran into the stands to confront whoever threw something at him. He should have only received a couple games suspension but got an entire season because the NBA were cowards too.

You have absolutely no idea what your talking about, do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsSjwBcjFlM

Did you even watch the video? Artest never threw a punch at anyone. He ran up to confront/get in the face of the fan and in doing so they fell down together.

Thanks for that extended clip. I didn't realize that twice something was thrown at Artest. It happened first around the 1:20 mark...some large object at his head when he was standing.

At 1:52 he tries to throw a punch but the crowd held is arm back. At 2:08 he throws a punch at the guy in the blue with the hat on. And at 2:30 he throws a punch to the guy in the Pistons jersey. What video were you watching? How could you even make a claim he should not have been suspended the whole season? If anything warrants a lifetime ban on a sport, this is it.