Healthy Huskers

knapplc

From the Omaha World Herald:

12:15 p.m., Monday: Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said during the Big 12 teleconference that he expects Taylor Martinez, Zac Lee and Alfonzo Dennard to all be ready later Monday when the Huskers return to practice.

“I feel like we’re a lot healthier than we were at this time a week ago,” he said.

With Martinez (ankle) and Lee (hand) out at quarterback, Nebraska started sophomore Cody Green in the 31-30 overtime win over Iowa State. Martinez was in the game for just one snap when Green was momentarily shaken up, but lined up at receiver as NU ran out of its “wildcat” formation.

Dennard (concussion) did not play against the Cyclones. Pelini also said that receiver Tim Marlowe is bothered by a hip pointer and questionable to start the week.

Pelini said he thought Green “played well” after a good week of practice.

Asked if Martinez would be returning to his starting role this week vs. Kansas, Pelini said: “If he’s healthy, yeah.”

“We expect him to be healthy,” he said. “You don’t know what’s going to happen in a week of practice, but we expect him to be out there today and we’re moving on.”

From the JournalStar:

Husker coach Bo Pelini just finished his weekly chat on the Big 12 Coaches Teleconference.

What about the status of Taylor Martinez? Zac Lee? Alfonzo Dennard?

"We feel like they'll all be practicing," Pelini said. "We're a lot healthier than we were at this time a week ago. I expect them all to play."

Pelini said there's nothing on the injury list that's too pressing, aside from returnman/receiver Tim Marlowe suffering a hip pointer injury that has made him questionable this week.

Also from the OWH article, you have to wonder if Moglia might not consider raiding the Husker cupboard for some coaches if he's hired:

Pelini also responded to several questions regarding Joe Moglia potentially leaving NU for the United Football League. Moglia reportedly is set to become head coach of the fledgling Virginia franchise in the professional league that includes the Omaha Nighthawks.

Moglia, 60, is former CEO of TD Ameritrade who has been working as an unpaid adviser in the Nebraska athletic department, and somebody Pelini said he has leaned on heavily for advice and discussions.

“If this plays out to be true and they announce that, I give the people who made that decision a lot of credit for thinking outside the box,” Pelini said.

Pelini said Moglia would surround himself with outstanding people and be organized and efficient in running the team.

“I don’t know if I could be happier for somebody,” he said. “You talk about having passion and following your dream and all those things …. ”

If Moglia is hired and if he takes some of our guys, a lot of prayers may be answered - and it may be one of those "Be careful what you wish for " situations. Have to wait and see.

Also from the JournalStar:

Pelini was asked about Turner Gill, of course.

"I do know Turner, I've worked with Turner," Pelini said. "He's a good football coach. He's detailed. He's smart. I think they made a heckuva hire, Kansas did, when they hired him. As far as him coming back, I'm not playing, he's not playing. I'm sure he'll have some emotions coming back to his alma mater and all those things but that's something he's going to have to deal with. At the end of the day, it comes down to the guys playing out there on the field."

I'm flying down from Alaska for this game, and yes it would be dissapointing not to see Martinez play, but if Lee is healthy I would rather see him and save Martinez for the stretch run, as well as a rest for some other players if we can put this team away. But I don't expect Gills team to roll over and die either.

I seriously doubt Lee will practice and am skeptical that any of those three will be practicing today. Remember that Bo said that Martinez "practiced" last week as well. What he means by that is that they will dress out and stretch with the team and do whatever they can with their injuries. In other words, Martinez will stand and throw, Lee will run around and Dennard will ride a bike on the sidelines.

I was told that we should not expect Lee to every play another down at QB for us the rest of his career.

If true why doesn't Bo just come out and say it. As a fan I would like to hear it from the horses mouth. The sad part is I have more faith in what I read on this board then what Bo tells the press. All in all good news...Please Taylor Martinez for the sake of Husker Nation stay healthy. I know everybody is thinking it but I will say it...Here on out if Martinez goes down the big red ship sinks.

I was told that we should not expect Lee to every play another down at QB for us the rest of his career.

If true why doesn't Bo just come out and say it. As a fan I would like to hear it from the horses mouth. The sad part is I have more faith in what I read on this board then what Bo tells the press. All in all good news...Please Taylor Martinez for the sake of Husker Nation stay healthy. I know everybody is thinking it but I will say it...Here on out if Martinez goes down the big red ship sinks.

I hope that BO is as optimistic as he sounds. I drink the BO kool-aid all day and if he said nothing because he does not discuss injuries I'd be bummed but I'd understand. I hope he is not flat out lying about the status of the players. (I understand a little gamesmanship but at some point I no longer understand)

I prefer to think that he at least assumes they will play if they progress as expected.

From the JournalStar:

Husker coach Bo Pelini just finished his weekly chat on the Big 12 Coaches Teleconference.

What about the status of Taylor Martinez? Zac Lee? Alfonzo Dennard?

"We feel like they'll all be practicing," Pelini said. "We're a lot healthier than we were at this time a week ago. I expect them all to play."

Pelini said there's nothing on the injury list that's too pressing, aside from returnman/receiver Tim Marlowe suffering a hip pointer injury that has made him questionable this week.

Hard to say who will actually suit up on Saturday. When it comes to disclosing injuries, our coach is the Bo who cried wolf.