Wats will go to CO at the end of the year

I hope Wats is going nowhere. That guy busts his ass for us to work with what has been some very limited pieces on offense, and has been both extremely flexible in tailoring it to our strengths, and adept at finding good ways to win.

Some guys want to get rid of him thinking we are going to get someone like Malzahn as a replacement, but I promise you the replacement is a long shot to be better, especially considering who the replacement is likely to be. I just hope we hold onto this guy as long as we can.

I agree entirely, just talk to Ganz sometime about Wats, he'll just sing his praises for hours haha

Some people have been saying since he came from colorado that he would want to end up back there

Some people liked Crystal Pepsi too.

I was one of those people, loved the stuff.

You're an old, rare breed my friend. For that I give you a +1.

Unfortunately I was 1 of the 5 total people who enjoyed it.

Loved the stuff when I was little.

Would CU consider the Offensive Line coach from the Jets? Can never remember that guy's name...

This is my first time doing a Thread on this board so let me know how I am doing and bear with me

I'd give this thread an 86. It's got a good beat, you can dance to it, but it doesn't have that "hook" that you need.

You probably should have led off with pictures of CU cheerleaders, then segued into a discussion of how much Ralphie looks like an overgrown hamster, then gotten into the Hawkins thing. And you should have included something about intramurals. And 10 wins. And pizza boxes. And waaaaay more emoticons. And you should have finished with "GBR!"

Basically, something like this:

92906041.jpg

:espnsucks: Colorado cheers as Hawkins is canned! :espnsucks: The great hamster of the foothills runs free again! :nanalama

Ralphie__1_.jpg

Hawkins can go coach Intramurals now, brotha! :yeah:rollin

How's your worst day as a Buffalo, Hawk? Still better than the bestest day as a Husker? :clap:lol::clap

With Hawkins gone, Colorado will get ten wins this year, guaranteed!!!! :LOLtartar:wasted

No more pizza boxes to recruits, too. Too bad!

Pizza_Box.jpg

See ya, Hawkins! Thanks for the mammaries!

GBR!

Now, THAT would have been an epic thread.

Yeah, the title got me excited then I found out it was someone guessing that Colorado wanted Watson. :facepalm:

I don't think we could get rid of Watson if he pledged he work for free. <_<

If Watson leaves and takes on of our O coordinators with him, I think we make a move to bring Scott Frost into the program. Not as OC, still a little young and in need of a couple more years of coaching experience, but bringing him in and having him bring some of Oregon's blur offense with him.

I would love to see Frost back here. I think he currently is the WR coach at Oregon. He could take Gilmores position if he chose to leave with Watson. Frost could certainly give us some pointers on how the WR should work in this style of offense. Plus he has the Nebraska pedigree which is always a plus.

Too much so, if you ask me.

Unless we've groomed a guy like Beck to take Watson's place, I hope we go get some young guy that Watson or Pelini is familiar with, screw the prior Nebraska connections.

Did Osborne look for someone that Callahan or Cosgrove were familiar with when looking for a coach? :facepalm:

Yes, Yes I did just compare Watson with both those guys. chuckleshuffle

Seriously, who would NU get for a replacement? Any good OC out there is looking for a HC position, generally speaking not chomping a the bit to be an OC at NU. I am all about bringing guys up through the ranks, but I think Watts has done fine with the hand he was dealt with, he could have easily bolted like Norvel did when he was overshadowed by our former HC.

• Fire 1

Kyle Ringo's twitter:

Here are a few names known to be on Colorado's radar. Troy Calhoun, Jon Gruden, Brent Venables, Mike Bellotti, Les Miles and Bill McCartney

Colorado assistant coaches have been told they will be paid through the end of January. No other severance package has been announced

LINK

I heard McCartney's name come up earlier this year. We used to have some battles with his CU teams. I don't see him coming back though but then again stranger things have happened. Venables seems like an interesting candidate.

McCartney has said publicly that he would be interested if CU was interested in him.

link

Just like the end of that article said I find that very bizarre also. The guy quits football to go the religious rout as head of the Promise Keepers in 1994 and now he's saying he apparently wants to coach football again and that he'd be interested if they were interested. Very, very strange indeed.

If Watson leaves and takes on of our O coordinators with him, I think we make a move to bring Scott Frost into the program. Not as OC, still a little young and in need of a couple more years of coaching experience, but bringing him in and having him bring some of Oregon's blur offense with him.

I would love to see Frost back here. I think he currently is the WR coach at Oregon. He could take Gilmores position if he chose to leave with Watson. Frost could certainly give us some pointers on how the WR should work in this style of offense. Plus he has the Nebraska pedigree which is always a plus.

Too much so, if you ask me.

Unless we've groomed a guy like Beck to take Watson's place, I hope we go get some young guy that Watson or Pelini is familiar with, screw the prior Nebraska connections.

Did Osborne look for someone that Callahan or Cosgrove were familiar with when looking for a coach? :facepalm:

Yes, Yes I did just compare Watson with both those guys. chuckleshuffle

Osborne actually recommended Watson, so I don't know what you are getting at.

What I really mean is, I hope we go to someone we trust for a recommendation, if we're not promoting a capable guy from within (Beck? perhaps.) That's how Pelini came to us in the first place. Alternatively, someone that Pelini or Watson already trusts. I don't know about Pelini, but if Watson believes in a guy, I would, too. Pelini isn't an offense guy and Watson should be quite a respected offense mind. He probably would know someone with promise.

Some people have been saying since he came from colorado that he would want to end up back there

Some people liked Srystal Pepsi too.

:laughpound Now thats funny right there.

Crystal Pepsi was amazing! :laughpound But seriously, it was good.

I don't see Colorado targeting Watson to be honest. Too small of fish for what they want, even though the Watson fish is ready to be a HC.

It's not like Colorado can sit back and select whomever they wish by pointing a diamond flecked finger at one of many incredibly high caliber candidates.

Pederson was shocked at how hard it was to find a viable option after he dismissed Coach Solich, and you have a TON more in place here at NU then you do in Boulder.

Colorado has the following hindrances for any head coach to consider:

1.) It's a pro town/state. The Broncos are infinitely more important than the Buffaloes to most sports fans in Colorado.

2.) The facilities are horrible...really, really bad.

3.) The University is in dire straits economically...which means there is zero money to spend on facility upgrades.

4.) Booster indifference. Raising money for the Cornhuskers isn't akin to playing tiddlywinks, but it is compared to getting Colorado business folk to open up their wallets for an afterthought up in Boulder.

5.) Four long years of terrible football means a pretty substantial rebuilding phase. From the time they were absolutely annihilated by Texas in the CCG five years ago, the talent and production decline has been nothing short of precipitous. That job feels like a Sisyphean endeavor at this point.

So, I believe speculation on who Colorado is going to select is a little premature. I think a more accurate way to phrase Colorado's situation is to ask who they are going to settle for, rather than who they are going to choose. I think CU is about to get Callahanned.

Sisyphean? Nice. Keep posting Nebula, I am orbiting your glalxy...

big if but IF Leach does go there to Colorado i want the credit for bring it up first...

my selfesteem is low and i want love today

in fact i'm gonna dig deeper right now and get back in a few...

ps... knowing Brian Cabral and his family i think he is pooping himself right now at the situation he is in...

he isn't much of a leader and the fact they made the LB coach/'asscoiate HC' shows the school is totally fvcked and does not know where to go for the time being...

what do we think also of the JIm harbaugh to Cowboys rumors??

I recall a thread on RSS last year discussing possible replacements for Watson/Gilmore and these were the names thrown out by Sam or LH:

P.J. Fecko - Head Coach @ Cardinal Mooney High School

Jeff Sims - Head Coach @ Fort Scott Community College

Basically it was believed that Beck would be promoted to O.C. and either one or both (if Gilmore left too) of the above people would replace Beck & Gilmore's positions.

Not sure if that'd still be the case this year, but interesting nonetheless.