Wats will go to CO at the end of the year

If Watson leaves and takes on of our O coordinators with him, I think we make a move to bring Scott Frost into the program. Not as OC, still a little young and in need of a couple more years of coaching experience, but bringing him in and having him bring some of Oregon's blur offense with him.

I would love to see Frost back here. I think he currently is the WR coach at Oregon. He could take Gilmores position if he chose to leave with Watson. Frost could certainly give us some pointers on how the WR should work in this style of offense. Plus he has the Nebraska pedigree which is always a plus.

Watson isn't going to Colorado. There was thread after thread after thread at CU message boards saying how glad they were to be rid of him when he left last time. They're not taking him back, especially not at Head Coach.

I'm pretty sure message boards don't set the standards for who an athletic director hires. Check Auburn a few years ago. Who saw that coming?

Right now Wats would be a sensible choice. Roots in the program. Offense is playing well. Experience with one of the best defensive minds in football. Young.

You could do worse.

Yeah my first thought was how much input does the fanbase get in picking the coach?

Watson isn't going to Colorado. There was thread after thread after thread at CU message boards saying how glad they were to be rid of him when he left last time. They're not taking him back, especially not at Head Coach.

I'm pretty sure message boards don't set the standards for who an athletic director hires. Check Auburn a few years ago. Who saw that coming?

Right now Wats would be a sensible choice. Roots in the program. Offense is playing well. Experience with one of the best defensive minds in football. Young.

You could do worse.

Yeah my first thought was how much input does the fanbase get in picking the coach?

Message boards are an indicator of the tenor of the fan base, and hence the boosters. I did not say that CU would consult their message boards on their choice for Head Coach. Don't read too much into that.

It's not like Colorado can sit back and select whomever they wish by pointing a diamond flecked finger at one of many incredibly high caliber candidates.

Pederson was shocked at how hard it was to find a viable option after he dismissed Coach Solich, and you have a TON more in place here at NU then you do in Boulder.

Colorado has the following hindrances for any head coach to consider:

1.) It's a pro town/state. The Broncos are infinitely more important than the Buffaloes to most sports fans in Colorado.

2.) The facilities are horrible...really, really bad.

3.) The University is in dire straits economically...which means there is zero money to spend on facility upgrades.

4.) Booster indifference. Raising money for the Cornhuskers isn't akin to playing tiddlywinks, but it is compared to getting Colorado business folk to open up their wallets for an afterthought up in Boulder.

5.) Four long years of terrible football means a pretty substantial rebuilding phase. From the time they were absolutely annihilated by Texas in the CCG five years ago, the talent and production decline has been nothing short of precipitous. That job feels like a Sisyphean endeavor at this point.

So, I believe speculation on who Colorado is going to select is a little premature. I think a more accurate way to phrase Colorado's situation is to ask who they are going to settle for, rather than who they are going to choose. I think CU is about to get Callahanned.

IMO NU was hard to hire into for a few reasons also.

1) Fan expectations were way out of line with reality, making for a hostile environment

2) Peddy canned Solich with no plan. He thought people would flock to coach here, he was wrong.

3) We fired a 9 win coach, who played for a Nat title two years before. Who wants to come into that.

Honestly I would rather go into a program where the expectation is low. Yes they are broke, but win and the money will flow. Leach doesn't have a golden ticket either. No matter what you think about what happened, he will have to overcome his public stigma. Boulder is in serious trouble and they cannot afford (literally) to mess this up.

Some people have been saying since he came from colorado that he would want to end up back there

Some people liked Crystal Pepsi too.

I was one of those people, loved the stuff.

You're an old, rare breed my friend. For that I give you a +1.

Unfortunately I was 1 of the 5 total people who enjoyed it.

:LOLtartar

Nice!

Kyle Ringo's twitter:

Here are a few names known to be on Colorado's radar. Troy Calhoun, Jon Gruden, Brent Venables, Mike Bellotti, Les Miles and Bill McCartney

Colorado assistant coaches have been told they will be paid through the end of January. No other severance package has been announced

LINK

Kyle Ringo's twitter:

Here are a few names known to be on Colorado's radar. Troy Calhoun, Jon Gruden, Brent Venables, Mike Bellotti, Les Miles and Bill McCartney

Colorado assistant coaches have been told they will be paid through the end of January. No other severance package has been announced

LINK

I just cant see the Mad Hatter leaving LSU. Or Belotti coming out of retirement to coach Colorado.

Kyle Ringo's twitter:

LINK

I heard McCartney's name come up earlier this year. We used to have some battles with his CU teams. I don't see him coming back though but then again stranger things have happened. Venables seems like an interesting candidate.