Remember 3 years ago???

Does anyone remember where we were at 3 years ago? Getting humiliated on National TV by USC, escaping a Ball State team who put up 40 on us, the Misery @ Missouri (41-6), being down 38-0 at HALFTIME to ok-state (homecoming by the way), another blowout loss at home to A&M, the always impressive 76 points given up to Kansas, and of course the awesome offensive performance of 51 points in boulder which wasn't to be outdone by the 65 our defense gave up. 5-7 record, 2-6 in conference play, WORST defensive unit in our schools HISTORY.

Flash ahead 3 years: We are in the top 10 in the BCS, the Blackshirts are back with attitude(not PEFECT, but NOBODY is), we are the favorite to win the Big 12, recruiting a top 10 class, and having an outstanding year.

Are we the 1995 team, NO, nobody will EVER be. As a born Nebraska fan, I notice that we treat out team differently when we start winning. Remember three years ago we would take a win no matter WHAT, or even a close loss thinking "hey our team played well for once, they only lost by 10 or 14." Now we are questioning the talent and fortitude of these guys whenever they don't win by a certain amount to an opponent they are favored over. I just want some thoughts on this subject because I am perfectly happy with our 9-1 record, and I feel that a win is a win, especially in conference play. Seems like NOBODY can be happy with just a win anymore. Where would you rather be, taken back 3 years to the days of just HOPING not to get blown out again? Or here in the present, in the top 10 in the BCS looking for a BCS bowl birth?

For the record, I'm not calling people out here. I'm not trying to complain or cry about the subject. I just would like some thoughts on this subject.

GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!

• Fire 4

yeah, kinda like we all remember where we were when some big event happened, I remember specifically where I was when KU put that beatdown on us in 07...I was listening to the game in my truck coming back from bow hunting in western Kansas. I was reduced to having to laugh about the game, reduced to bagging KU to score 90 so we might fire the entire coaching staff..which eventually happened. that was a bad year.

we have come a long way quickly, and it is great. I agree we probably wont have a 95 team again because of parity in college football and limited scholarships but we can get close and need to strive towards it. BUT.. we are Nebraska. Our expectations, work ethic and pride for our community is high. it shows and it is carried by this football team and coaching staff as well as us fans. This team represents our strong work ethic to the world...Us fans, The university, the coaching staff, and the players have an expectation to live up to...so yes, 9-1(sometimes sloppy, sometimes stunning) is great. but striving for perfection is the endgame. When the fumbles, penalties, and inconsistency stop, i will be happier. You take these 3 things away, and we squarely compete for and maybe win a national championship this year. Its how we win/lose that is as important to me as if we win/lose. Getting beat fair and square I can handle, beating ourselves, giving away games , or squeeking by teams we are clearly better than is not quite as easy on me...as it should not be. I don't tolerate it from myself in my daily life either.

I 100% love OUR team, coaching staff, fans and state. I think we are on the right path, but we have unfinished business at hand. GBR!

Its hard to relive those days of the old staff. But without them we wouldnt have Pelini, and I believe everything happens for a reason. Its amazing to see how the 117th rated defense can go to #1 last year, and #6 this year (after losing the best defensive player ever). The staff that is in place now deserves all the credit in the world for bringing Nebraska back to National prominence. GBR.

Does anyone remember where we were at 3 years ago? Getting humiliated on National TV by USC, escaping a Ball State team who put up 40 on us, the Misery @ Missouri (41-6), being down 38-0 at HALFTIME to ok-state (homecoming by the way), another blowout loss at home to A&M, the always impressive 76 points given up to Kansas, and of course the awesome offensive performance of 51 points in boulder which wasn't to be outdone by the 65 our defense gave up. 5-7 record, 2-6 in conference play, WORST defensive unit in our schools HISTORY.

Flash ahead 3 years: We are in the top 10 in the BCS, the Blackshirts are back with attitude(not PEFECT, but NOBODY is), we are the favorite to win the Big 12, recruiting a top 10 class, and having an outstanding year.

Are we the 1995 team, NO, nobody will EVER be. As a born Nebraska fan, I notice that we treat out team differently when we start winning. Remember three years ago we would take a win no matter WHAT, or even a close loss thinking "hey our team played well for once, they only lost by 10 or 14." Now we are questioning the talent and fortitude of these guys whenever they don't win by a certain amount to an opponent they are favored over. I just want some thoughts on this subject because I am perfectly happy with our 9-1 record, and I feel that a win is a win, especially in conference play. Seems like NOBODY can be happy with just a win anymore. Where would you rather be, taken back 3 years to the days of just HOPING not to get blown out again? Or here in the present, in the top 10 in the BCS looking for a BCS bowl birth?

For the record, I'm not calling people out here. I'm not trying to complain or cry about the subject. I just would like some thoughts on this subject.

GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!

I completely agree with you. If nothing else, the Callahan years gave me good perspective on what can happen. Every time I watch the Huskers play now, I see competition, I see effort, and more often than not, I see victories. I am obviously frustrated when Nebraska loses, but it is hard to imagine this program elevated back to this level so shortly after hitting rock bottom in 2007. I think pride has been restored and Pelini has unified the fan base. Things can always be better, but 2007 shows that it could be worse. Much, much worse.

I completely agree with you. If nothing else, the Callahan years gave me good perspective on what can happen. Every time I watch the Huskers play now, I see competition, I see effort, and more often than not, I see victories. I am obviously frustrated when Nebraska loses, but it is hard to imagine this program elevated back to this level so shortly after hitting rock bottom in 2007. I think pride has been restored and Pelini has unified the fan base. Things can always be better, but 2007 shows that it could be worse. Much, much worse.

I agree. But for me, it is all about playing up to potential and giving max effort, which I think that this team has to some degree.

To answer the OP, it does not mean that we should be happy about a loss, or that we can't discuss ways this team can get better and clean up some of the play. Coming up just short of a goal (win/championship) can be heartbreaking, but I would say that the majority of the fans are pretty happy where we are compared to where we were 3 or 4 years ago.

2007 brought the dark side out in some of us. It was the year where a few of us actually hoped we'd lose the game so that we could $hitcan the entire coaching staff. On a side note to those who are thankful for that time period because it brought us Pelini, well Pud had every opportunity to hire him as the next head coach after the 2003 season.

2007 brought the dark side out in some of us. It was the year where a few of us actually hoped we'd lose the game so that we could $hitcan the entire coaching staff. On a side note to those who are thankful for that time period because it brought us Pelini, well Pud had every opportunity to hire him as the next head coach after the 2003 season.

That was Pud's decision, I am glad that Osborne came along and made the right decision though.