Im giving watson one more year

The recievers have been running good routes, they have been open the majority of the season. Im not sure how much the reciever coach has to do with them actually catching the ball. as for Cotton the oline has blocked well, but there is a huge disciplin problem and while it is the players job to stay disciplined some of that accountablity rests on cotton's shoulders.

Disagree. They have blocked well at times, usually late in a game when momentum is on their side. When the team needs a push to get something started, they've rarely performed. Way too inconsistent.

That inconsistency falls on the offensive line coach.

I agree, which is why I said it... I think Cotton needs to go as was said in the original post. This is also Watson's responsibility. Bo holds his D coaches accountable, because they need to be coaching right for his scheme to work. Watson needs to do that same. He is not. Bring in someone who will.

Zoogies and Kansas huskers are watsons kids, I have deduced. They argue against all reason that the ACTUAL PLAY ON THE FIELD is not a result, even a remote possiblility, of the last 3-5 yrs of coaching.

It just goes against reason that how or the way they are being coached/developed/held accountable/taught/etc...has anything to do with their performance, right?

Example: Austin Cassidy probly wouldn't start for 7 or 8 B12 teams, yet he makes huge plays for us on D.

Niles Paul is a 4* recruit and has 4 years of experience in this system, yet can't keep out of his own way.

All player or all coaching or a combination?

Well, you caught me my support of him has nothing to do with the fact that in 2008 Watsons offnese was the only thing that made the team watchable. The game plan has been there almost every week, the job of the OC is to put the players in a position to win. The job of the players is to exicute.

Firing Watson doesn't fix the OL or WR's dropping catches.

well, keeping them here doesnt seem to be either. a new OC hire isnt going to just bring one face in the door, he's gonna have his own guys lined up behind him.

Oh boy, that's the truth. We're almost at the end of yet another year of total offensive failure vs decent (and many marginal) defense we face. We certainly couldn't do much worse....

Im giving watson until the end of the season.... hopefully he finds another job.

He has to go, take Cotton and Gilmore with him also.

Its the job of the offensive coordinator to have the players ready to execute the game plan...2008 offense was more of a west coach approach..this is different..something watson has no idea how to put a gameplan around..ive watched far to many games where we run the exact same plays as the last game..and the game before that..and the game before that..he doesnt know how to adjust to defenses..how many time did you see last week A&M players blasting our oline 5-10 yards in the backfield because they had no idea where the pressure was coming from...it seemed to me watson looked at last years A&M defense (the 4-3) rather than this years (3-4). He has zero imagination..and zero ability to produce an effective gameplan against defenses

• Fire 1

We need to fire Cotton and Gilmore at the end of the season. If we get a good oline coach and wrs coach then i feel all of the offensive problems will be fixed. The WR's will run better routes and be able to catch balls. The oline will be more disciplined and maybe we can coach them to be dominant again. I think maybe we are blaming Watson a little too much (although he is at fault to a smaller degree).

So. Watson had little to nothing to do with where Nebraska QB are right now? If memory serves me right Watson has been the OC for the last 4 to 5 years. He didn't start from scratch like the defensive coaches. He's been the one recruiting theses QB'S(and if he hasn't been whose fault is this?) Remember the Gabbert situation where the rumors of the coaching staff being fired at the end and some of the coaches were telling him to look elsewhere, where and what was Watson doing before he got Osborne stamp of approval. Was he trying to talk Gabbert in staying with his decision or even in touch with him at all during this time? Kind of hurt his own cause it seems. <_<

I find it funny that the two qb's that have done anything under Watson kind of backed into the position or fell into it (Ganz, T - Magic) :LOLtartar compared to the guys he recruited to run his so called offense ( Zac Taylor or cody Greene). I applaude that he had the guts to give the ball to a unproven freshman, but he has made this offense dependant on one person. This offense has scheme looks no different then when Solich had the one man teams of Crouch and Lord. Though at least Solich knew when a team that had a problem against the run to run it straight at them.... Watson not so much. :boxosoap

I'm guessing if Osborne was allowed to play oc with this team they have more then 6 points against Texas A & M. though thats like comparing a legend to a guy thats only rated the 10th best OC in a nameless article. chuckleshuffle

• Fire 1

I find it funny that the two qb's that have done anything under Watson kind of backed into the position or fell into it (Ganz, T - Magic) :LOLtartar compared to the guys he recruited to run his so called offense ( Zac Taylor or cody Greene). I applaude that he had the guts to give the ball to a unproven freshman, but he has made this offense dependant on one person. This offense has scheme looks no different then when Solich had the one man teams of Crouch and Lord. Though at least Solich knew when a team that had a problem against the run to run it straight at them.... Watson not so much. :boxosoap

I really hope you mean Zac LEE....

You know, about this time last year, a lot of people who were on this board wanted Watson to get out town. I think i was one of the few that stood up for him last year, but i a made it apparent that Watson had next season (2010) to make it up and show us what he can bring to the offense. A chance to finally put the critics to rest and in their place that he can come up with a well balanced offensive scheme.

He failed at that. What i have seen this season is a magic act (no pun intended T-Magic). Its all been a magic act, while fans have been looking at the speedster in Taylor Martinez and making Big Red fans drooling and splurging in their pants over the zone-read option, it distracted them away from the real problem, recievers made very little effort to get better at catching the ball (became apparent during the Texas game), we still have a fumbling problem that has not been fixed (all season long, 34 fumbles if i counted correctly), and if you take away Taylor Martinez, we are right back where we were last year as an offense. Lost and undisclipined. It makes you think, is Cody Green naturally that bad and we all hyped him up too much? or is it that Shawn Watson didn't do a very good job of fully developing a young QB?

It can't be Cody Green can't run the zone-read, hell he did it last year against FAU on that break out long run. Tell me that particular play was not the zone-read in its earliest form?

I'm sorry, but after last year and many of you, including myself wanted this guy gone, i gave him one more chance to wow me, and so far i have not seen it, despite the speedster in Taylor Martinez that he pulled out of his top hat of tricks. Its time to find a new job Watson, this year under Bo Pelini was strike three for you.

The legend of TO (at least on this board)seems to be bigger than his reality. Except for three yrs his teams were pretty much exactly like this years team. Even those 3 yrs of no losses they had some nail biters and some lackluster victories. TO never had to deal with digging a team out of the basement. His most successful years were the result of two decades of building a foundation, taking some lumps and continuing to grind on. Nebraska football will only get back to an undefeated season with consistency. Firing very capable staff is not going to bring in a championship football team.

Unless you can name better alternatives to each position you would like to fire, and give a breakdown explaining how they would do better, then the fire them all pettiness should stop.

I for one I am extremly thankful and happy to be 9-2 right now. Win or lose this has been a great, exciting, competitive season.

Go Huskers!!