Why Cotton Bowl didn't consider Nebraska

huKSer

KC radio interviewed the Cotton Bowl president why aTm got the bid and not Missouri. He said (politically correct) garbage about how OU, NU, MU, OSU and aTm are all "excellent in every way". But since this is the 75th Cotton Bowl and everything is looking at the traditions, the only team that had any long term relationship with the bowl is aTm - the former SWC member. Some of the callers were shocked that Texas politics were screwing Missouri.

I can't say I blame them, A&M is a good school and does have strong ties to the Cotton bowl from the SWC, and I think all of us can appreciate the effort. The big 12 ruined a lot of the big 8 traditions and its nice to see at least in this one case the cotton bowl honoring a historic tradition that it once had with the sec.

Lets see Texas A&M 60,000 fans Missouri 60 fans :dunno

Mizzou getting dissed for a team with a lesser record has become a conference tradition. I'd imagine tigerfans have come to expect it.

and its their own fault. they simply do not travel well. at least thats the impression multiple bowl games have of them.

The Cotton Bowl has always had the 2nd selection after the BCS bowls for the Big 12...and I think if memory serves me correctly, the only North team to get the selection was Nebraska back in 2006. They've always had a strong relationship with the South...especially the Texas teams.

MU went in 2007, and btw helped to set the record for the fastest sellout in cotton bowl history.

The travel thing is chicken and egg. do less fans go because we get shafted and fall to bowls well below were we should. or do we fall because less fans go?

Well given that when MU started to going to bowls again, they sold out and when we go to better bowls they sold out, i think it has more to do with the lesser bowls. Lord knows when you use fans as the excuse but you take ISU and KU ahead of MU when they cant even get 40K to show up on a home saturday your full of it.

To put it bluntly, we are no Nebraska, but we are a hell of a lot better than ISU, KU, OSU and so on.......

The Cotton Bowl has always had the 2nd selection after the BCS bowls for the Big 12...and I think if memory serves me correctly, the only North team to get the selection was Nebraska back in 2006. They've always had a strong relationship with the South...especially the Texas teams.

MU went in 2007, and btw helped to set the record for the fastest sellout in cotton bowl history.

The travel thing is chicken and egg. do less fans go because we get shafted and fall to bowls well below were we should. or do we fall because less fans go?

Well given that when MU started to going to bowls again, they sold out and when we go to better bowls they sold out, i think it has more to do with the lesser bowls. Lord knows when you use fans as the excuse but you take ISU and KU ahead of MU when they cant even get 40K to show up on a home saturday your full of it.

To put it bluntly, we are no Nebraska, but we are a hell of a lot better than ISU, KU, OSU and so on.......

I think it had to do with Arkansas why tickets went so fast.

I bet aTm bust a nut when they found out they can go to the Cotton Bowl.

I wouldn't say we busted a nut, but we were pretty excited to be going to such a great bowl. The Cotton Bowl has been around forever and is a great bowl. Part of the reason the CB favors (or at least the perception that they favr) the B12 South is that the 4 Texas teams were SWC before B12.

Most of us knew we had the Cotton Bowl if we beat Texas. Here's why:

1. OSU was there last year

2. OU/NU loser: Probably wouldn't be HUGE interest in returning to a stadium 1 month after losing the Conference Championship there

3. As mentioned, Mizzou doesn't travel THAT well

4. Cotton Bowl 75th Anniversary... LSU vs A&M. BIG hype, and would sell out in about 15 seconds. I know as of the day it was announced, the only tix left were from secondary vendors and direct school allotments. All public tix from the site were sold.

I think it had to do with Arkansas why tickets went so fast.

that might be true if the crowd hadnt been 3 to 1 Missouri to Arkansas......

nice try though.... :corndance