The Bottom Line on Watson's Playcalling

Shawn Watson is in his tenth year as an offensive coordinator in the Big 12 (2000-05 at Colorado, 2007-10 at Nebraska). Every year except 2007 under Bill Callahan, he has had playcalling responsibilities. Following are the Big 12 total offense ranks of of the offenses at Colorado and Nebraska for which Watson called plays.

2000 (Colorado): 8th, 362.0 YPG

2001 (Colorado): 2nd, 434.4 YPG

2002 (Colorado): 9th, 374.5 YPG

2003 (Colorado): 9th, 372.6 YPG

2004 (Colorado): 9th, 339.6 YPG

2005 (Colorado): 8th, 333.1 YPG

2008 (Nebraska): 6th, 450.8 YPG

2009 (Nebraska): 11th, 332.8 YPG

2010 (Nebraska): 6th, 414.2 YPG

It's been said that the definition of insanity is to try the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

I am pretty sure that Shawn Watson had no playcalling responsibilities at Colorado.

(...but that wouldn't look very good, would it?) It's okay, you can just post up these last three years and make an argument. At least there can be discussion. Numbers that can't be backed up with context are meaningless.

I am pretty sure that Shawn Watson had no playcalling responsibilities at Colorado.

(...but that wouldn't look very good, would it?) It's okay, you can just post up these last three years and make an argument. At least there can be discussion. Numbers that can't be backed up with context are meaningless.

Yes he did.

Yes he did.

but Zoogies was pretty sure man..........

Watson's offenses struggle against average defenses. He is amazingly predictable. He is either too stubborn to change or is incapable of it. Either way, his offense is the Achilles heel of this team. We couldn't win a championship in the Big12 and we will NEVER win a championship in the Big10 with Watson as OC.

How about the defensive playcalling? How many yards did we give up Saturday? I don't care who is coaching what. A team that leads the nation in fumbles and leads the Big 12 in penalties isn't a team that will be very successful.

I hope you're joking about the defense. The offense GAVE a powerful OU offense the ball with great field position 4 times. Any team that gave OU the field position that NU did would be THRILLED to hold them uner 35 points. This is what Watson's offense has done to the fans. We've become accustomed to winning games with tremendous defense and no offense. Now all of a sudden people think if the defense doesn't play PERFECT, then they didn't play well enough to win. I've got news for you, no defense plays a perfect game for 14 games in a row. Unfortunately, if this defense doesn't play perfect, they lose.

• Fire 1

Yes he did.

No he didn't, Gary Barnett called plays, just like Callahan and Osborne.

How about the defensive playcalling? How many yards did we give up Saturday? I don't care who is coaching what. A team that leads the nation in fumbles and leads the Big 12 in penalties isn't a team that will be very successful.

I do think that the defense could have played better, but the offense put them in MANY terrible situations. 10 points off turnovers in the 2nd quarter. Another seven was on one long pass play where Austin Cassidy flat out blew the coverage (aweful, aweful coverage). Yes, the D could have played better, but it was the offense that crushed the moral of the team with stalled drives due to predictable play calling, and yes 5 fumbles (one inside the 20 setting OU up to score) and 1 interception (in the endzone preventing our own score).

I hope you're joking about the defense. The offense GAVE a powerful OU offense the ball with great field position 4 times. Any team that gave OU the field position that NU did would be THRILLED to hold them uner 35 points. This is what Watson's offense has done to the fans. We've become accustomed to winning games with tremendous defense and no offense. Now all of a sudden people think if the defense doesn't play PERFECT, then they didn't play well enough to win. I've got news for you, no defense plays a perfect game for 14 games in a row. Unfortunately, if this defense doesn't play perfect, they lose.

Great point. I really do not know what people are so pissed off about with the defense. They truly gave up three big plays...one Dennard slipped to leave the WR that open and the other was a great throw and catch by OU...the third was a pretty dumb play by Prince to not tackle him immediately. When you give a team like OU the ball in short field situations because the offense cannot hold on to the ball good things will not happen. Did you forget the stops on 4th down? How about holding them to field goals? You cannot put this on the defense!!