Taylor Martinez bleeds Husker Red....

Methinks he's a little injury prone. We'll need solid depth at QB either way.

Yeah true. What are the chances of Carnes seeing game time next year?

Considering Green is a wash, and we like to run our QB's as much as we do, I'd say chances are pretty darn good.

If Bubba Starling actually comes to school, I say there's a good chance Taylor doesn't start next year anyways. Chances are Bubba will go play baseball though.

I don't know much about Starling really but talented as he may be I would be very surprised if he didn't need a redshirt year here, just like most. Brion was comparatively polished and he needed a redshirt year. It would take a lot for a true freshman to start and I don't know why that's generally regarded here as a good thing (for continuity purposes or whatever). I will take guys that sit for two or three years and then start for two, over and over, than continually going to freshmen. Every time we have a 4 year starter, barring the extremely exceptional talent (and even then that's a push), we are talking about a couple years of sometimes ugly growing pains. Vince had 'em, Pryor had 'em. Etc.

* - (EDIT, in response to FLU below) - I should clarify that I'm speaking hypothetically, of course, if he makes it here.

I don't know much about Starling really but talented as he may be I would be very surprised if he didn't need a redshirt year here, just like most. Brion was comparatively polished and he needed a redshirt year. It would take a lot for a true freshman to start and I don't know why that's generally regarded here as a good thing (for continuity purposes or whatever). I will take guys that sit for two or three years and then start for two, over and over, than continually going to freshmen. Every time we have a 4 year starter, barring the extremely exceptional talent (and even then that's a push), we are talking about a couple years of sometimes ugly growing pains. Vince had 'em, Pryor had 'em. Etc.

Sorry, but Starling will never take a snap for Nebraska. MLB will offer him way too much money.

Sorry, but Starling will never take a snap for Nebraska. MLB will offer him way too much money.

Most likely.

Here's to hoping we see a full recovery (physical and mental) and return for Martinez. No doubt there's been nothing but trouble (on and off the field) since his injury vs Mizzou. We've all seen what he's capable of...and all the while he's been a redshirt frosh. While we have our doubts about the kid right now, he definitely has huge upside if he continues to improve and grow under Watson's tutelage.

I love the competition we'll be seeing at the QB position in the seasons to come, and if another guy steps up to lead this team, so be it. But, it's very promising to see what Martinez has done this year. I just hope things work out moving forward.

The guys a head case, he transfered twice in high school because he could'nt get along with teammates.

He transferred to improve the level of football he played. When he was done transferring he was in California's top level of football. He then went on to be named, "... the Big VIII League's Most Valuable Player and also earned the Los Angeles Times' Glen Davis Player-of-the-Year Award. A first-team all-state selection, Martinez was the Inland Division Offensive Player of the Year, the Max Preps California Player of the Year and the Golden States Prep Southern California Offensive Player of the Year. "

If you're just making stuff up, be more creative. Maybe claim he was in the Witness Protection Program or that he was a super hero and had to move to hide his secret identity. It's still bogus, but it's more entertaining.

His dad also went broke, was left by his wife and rejuvenated his career. They moved to a small house then a bigger house, and Taylor was helping get his younger brothers to school.

I wish T-Mart had more of Cody's personality, but he doesn't. We know he's a magnificent athlete who was in a crucible Saturday, injured and poorly protected. The Sooners came after him, as they should have. (Wish we'd gone after Jones a bit more, but that's beside the point.)

What we don't know about T-Mart is what's going on in his head and what he had to do mentally and emotionally to adapt to having his mom leave the family, having his dad go broke, changing peers in high school, getting a new mom, having money again and, now, being the subject of all these Internet expert fans' expectations and vitriol.

Think we took the loss hard?

Martinez may be a really cold, difficult, aloof, arrogant guy. He looks that way and comes off that way. Those usually are signs of being really shy and socially awkward. What he knows how to do to compensate for that is do amazing athletic things. Injuries and tougher competition made that difficult the second half of this year, so he has a chance to grow through adversity.

Understatement here: It's just as important to his development as a quarterback, as a Husker and potential lifelong representative of the University of Nebraska that he grow personally as that he learn to throw the ball away under duress.

I'd hate to be judged by the person I was at 20. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy meeting the person I was at 20.

• Fire 3

Methinks he's a little injury prone. We'll need solid depth at QB either way.

Agreed. I don't know if it's him physically though, as I kind of think it has more to do with his running style. He runs so upright and I rarely see him lower his pad level. I know some RBs do it to deliver a blow, but it also protects your lower extremities. Taylor seems worse than he should be on rollouts and better than he should be running between the hashes. Anyway I guess this doesn't add much. I just agree that even if he is healthy and gives us our best chance to win for the rest of his career, there are definitely going to be times when someone lays a hit and he has to come out or miss a game or two.

KMTV Sports Sound Off had footage of Taylor after the game walking and talking with Tom Osborne. It was on the field when the stadium was emptied out. They were walking side by side and it looked like Taylor was doing most of the talking. That tells me that T.O. had a one-on-one with him (which is a good thing). I also thought that Taylor looked comfortable talking to T.O. so that's a good thing.

This may have been posted somewhere- it all starting to run together by now- but one of the biggest testaments about T-Mart.. I noticed during the game was a couple of times his shirt was off the pads and no lineman (yeah they are part-time butlers) helped him straighten out his pads. Maybe a no big deal. I could see him telling the others in fall practice "any of you homos touch me, and I kill ya" thats probably how it went down.

Hopefully Martinez stays. I won't get down on him too much. He was doing well before the injury. I think he lost much confidence besides speed and mobility when he got hurt. Hopefully he has learned from his first year. Hopefully he is able to deal with the pressure and expectations put on him. Hopefully he matures in the off-season and comes back next year with a renewed sense of TEAM and 100% healthy. Hopefully, he comes back and works with a new OC (wishful thinking)that can really exploit his talents.

p.s. I do think he needs to cut the cord with his mommy and daddy, though.

• Fire 1

The guys a head case, he transfered twice in high school because he could'nt get along with teammates.

He transferred to improve the level of football he played. When he was done transferring he was in California's top level of football. He then went on to be named, "... the Big VIII League's Most Valuable Player and also earned the Los Angeles Times' Glen Davis Player-of-the-Year Award. A first-team all-state selection, Martinez was the Inland Division Offensive Player of the Year, the Max Preps California Player of the Year and the Golden States Prep Southern California Offensive Player of the Year. "

If you're just making stuff up, be more creative. Maybe claim he was in the Witness Protection Program or that he was a super hero and had to move to hide his secret identity. It's still bogus, but it's more entertaining.

Taylor transferred from Norco for 2 reasons, his father Casey had got a job at San Bendardino Cajon as an assistant coach, and Norco wouldn't let him play QB.

He made it one semester there and transferred to Centennial because of "family medical reasons", in reality, Casey didn't like the way Taylor was used in Cajon's offense.

People in Cali said Taylor seemed emotionless in his senior year at Centennial, despite an amazing season and being #2 in the nation he wasn't enjoying football.

Taylor has an enormous weight on his shoulders from his father, he plays to make his dad happy. His dad has always seen him as a QB, when Taylor visited Lincoln on a recruiting trip, the staff asked him to sit in on a defensive meeting and Taylor threw a fit, it was the first, but not the last.

• Fire 1