The Great Big Thread of Shawn Watson Angst

knapplc

Watson tries to get too fancy with his playcalling instead of just sticking with what's working. For instance in the Oklahoma game the plays that were working were runs between the tackles, and Burkhead in the wildcat. But, Watson tried to force feed his supposed "specialty" with the read option that was downright useless when you have a QB with two gimp legs. If Watson stuck with what worked Nebraska wins that game plain and simple

Watson tries to get too fancy with his playcalling instead of just sticking with what's working. For instance in the Oklahoma game the plays that were working were runs between the tackles, and Burkhead in the wildcat. But, Watson tried to force feed his supposed "specialty" with the read option that was downright useless when you have a QB with two gimp legs. If Watson stuck with what worked Nebraska wins that game plain and simple

Ahh, but you fail to see the brilliance of Watson's playcalling. If something is working, surely the opposing defensive coordinator is going to notice and shut it down. Instead of letting the D prove they can stop the plays, he beats them to the punch and switches to calling plays that do not work in an attempt to fool them at their own game. Pure, unadulterated brilliance.

• Fire 1

I do not like the idea of firing someone unless you have someone proven to be better ready to step in. But I have watched the Ok game three times and watched the 2001 Orange Bowl and the Tn game. I think the team with Eric Crouch would have the same problems as the 2010 team. They had a hard time passing and if Crouch had gotten hurt that season would have been toast. However the 97 team with Frost seemed to have more dimensions. Although the pass blocking was nothing to get excited about, but it seemed that Frost hardly did straight drop back passes.

The Oregon games that I watched did not make me believe the zone read is the best offense for Nebraska either. That team has unbelievable speed and stretch a play all the way across the field to find an opening. Plus they are relentless with the number of plays they run during a game. Nebraska does not have the speed to pull that off. I can't see the zone read working against very fast defenses (2010 as an example)especially when giving them the time to get rested and set.

Last thought on the offense. It seems that the O line is asked to be two different things at once. Mixing power runs, zone blocking, and drop back pass blocking. Being this mulitple I believe is making them look bad.

Also I think this offense is a learning process for Watson also. This would explain his inability to adapt during the game. I always considered him to be more West Coast/with screens and backside running plays. If this is a learning process for him also then he needs to be given some space to improve. Also it might explain why the offense is making so many mental errors.

its either "hes too complicated" or "hes too simple". this argument varies from game to game

It's not that we don't have speed at all it's that watson and the other offensive assistants don't put the playmakers in position to make a play. Antonio Bell, Mendoza, Gillyelan, Helu, Reed, Paul all have very good speed. Going forward Bell, Gilleylan, Reed, Green, Kenny Bell, Reed all have the potential to be gamebreakers but again I doubt that any of them get the chance to do something in a creative way. Oregon uses a ton of different option plays, jet sweeps, screens etc. in order to get the ball in their playmakers hands. What do we do? The most creative ways we have done so far is the wildcat, one form of a jet sweep that bc of the lack of execution has gone for at most 7 yards, and we tried to run an option where Paul was the outlet where it was run so poorly it almost resulted in a TO.

This is one reason, among many, that I want Watson gone. He shows no ability to create unique ways to get his playmakers the ball in space. He consistently opens up the playbook against lesser teams which makes his ypg, ppg and overall image look much better than it actually should be. Going back to last year we saw reverses, and stretching the field in non conference games. This year we saw both helu and burkhead in the backfield with T Mart, in the CU game where we have proven that we can move the ball at will he decides to break out two half back passes with Rex. Although he ran two passes out of the wildcat he also threw no less than 15 slant patterns which anyone in the stadium or at home could call was coming in a passing situation.

I love the get the ball to our playmakers actually. We have fast WRs: give them chances, get a big arm back there and have him stretch the field, and then change it up with Roy and Rex. The reason we aren't doing that is because we've decided Taylor is our playmaker that we want to give the ball to 40 times a game. It comes at those guys' expense but I think 1400 rushing yards or something like 13 TDs says it turned out OK.

Still, I think Gilmore needs to FREE CURENSKI GILLEYLEN. We've actually seen Cure more in recent games, to be fair.