The "Classiest Fans in College Football"

Class is on a case-by-case basis. Sticking up for your team does not make you classless. One man's opinion of what class is does not define the fanbase as a whole. One (or one hundred) Husker Fan's behavior does not make us all good, or bad.

We're great fans. Apparently someone, somewhere, considers us "the greatest." That and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

I have a feeling that part of the Classiest fans thing just comes from midwest hospitality. We have the same type of mentality in iowa. Kinda help a neighbor out kind of attitude that you dont find alot of other places in the country. I have also heard people talk about how knowledgeable we as fans are about not only our team but the teams we play. It also comes with how massive our fanbase travels to away games and bowl games. But not everyone is going to fall into that catagory.

Yeah I can see your point. Hell you have it in your picture behind you. :thumbs

It says "greatest fans", not "classiest fans". There's a difference, though it may be too subtle for most people to grasp.

Thank you! It's about freakin' time someone said this. Opposing fans throw the classiest fans insult at us like it's supposed to bother us when they say we aren't. I could give a rat't ass if people consider us classy.

We're just fans, like any other team's fans. We love when we win, we hate when we lose.

Anymore, the whole "classiest fans" thing has just turned into ammunition for opposing fans to use against us.

No one else outside of Nebraska considers us "the classiest fans in college football". How many people have you heard say this while you were attending an away game. Has someone personally walked up to you and said "wow, you have the classiest fans I have ever seen". I certainly wouldn't and i'm a husker fan. Maybe we were back in the 90's when we were winning championships, but certainly not anymore. We're just your average crazy football fans. Simple as that

Its not all about being classy fans, its about having great people living in this state. Thats why I love living here, everyone is usually a pretty nice person overall. And this is not just on game day or during football season. For example, driving. In this state, people actually let you over and you don't have to force your way over. I got flipped off in Denver for merging over even with plenty of room to spare. And another example, people go out of their way to help others in Nebraska. Once my car broke down and I had many people stop and ask if they could do anything to help. Its just the way people are around here. If your a dick, your gonna act like a dick. If your a good person, thats how your gonna act. Ive had many opposing fans tell me they have a great time here when they come for a game, well thats bc your hanging out with good people who just wanna talk some football over drinks, and your the guest. Nebraska maybe a boring state, but we got the best people living here.

I have a feeling that part of the Classiest fans thing just comes from midwest hospitality. We have the same type of mentality in iowa. Kinda help a neighbor out kind of attitude that you dont find alot of other places in the country. I have also heard people talk about how knowledgeable we as fans are about not only our team but the teams we play. It also comes with how massive our fanbase travels to away games and bowl games. But not everyone is going to fall into that catagory.

Yeah I can see your point. Hell you have it in your picture behind you. :thumbs

It says "greatest fans", not "classiest fans". There's a difference, though it may be too subtle for most people to grasp.

I know...as I stated in my previous post...it was a joke. Maybe too subtle for some people to read.

No one else outside of Nebraska considers us "the classiest fans in college football". How many people have you heard say this while you were attending an away game. Has someone personally walked up to you and said "wow, you have the classiest fans I have ever seen". I certainly wouldn't and i'm a husker fan. Maybe we were back in the 90's when we were winning championships, but certainly not anymore. We're just your average crazy football fans. Simple as that

I was told that last year by Oklahoma fans. I was told that this year by Missouri fans, by Texas fans, by Colorado fans, by Washington fans (online)....

I think this is a situation similar to the "Ugly American." American tourists have a pretty poor reputation in Europe for boorishness. However, I know probably ten people who have gone to Europe and been treated very well, and were well-received. I have been there twice and the people I spoke to were thrilled to speak to me because I was American. Had I acted like an asshat, they'd have had a different opinion, I'm sure. You get out of a situation what you put into it. Those being bitched at by other fans for their classlessness are often classless, and would be called classless by other Husker fans. Lord knows I've run across hundreds of classless fans of every team out there, including Nebraska fans, over the years.

• Fire 1

Ok what I am going to say is not a personal attack on anyone here. If you get butt hurt I am sorry :lol: I was born and raised in Nebraska and attended school in Lincoln (UNL) during the days of the 90's. You know, the days when we destroyed teams by an avg of 35 pts a game. Yeah, those hay days. Now back to my current topic. I for one am tired of hearing about Husker fans being the "Classiest Fans in College Football". Are we that now? Hmmm don't really think so. Was I ever that type of fan? Nope.

We are fans who LOVE their University but feel compelled to complain and call out BS when we smell or see it. Coaches, players, refs, league commisioners, the list goes on and on. Is this wrong? I don't think so. The term "classiest fans" was coined during the years when we would literally beat the sh#t out of other teams. We would clap for other teams in our stadium because after putting 60 pts on a team, it made us feel warm and fuzzy inside. Their players and fans felt that we were "sure nice because they clapped for us, after beating us". Now....Husker fans (me included) turn into rabbid fans who grow horns and snarl when our team loses. We don't go into other stadiums and clap and say "hey great game, you really kicked our ass, but gosh, we sure tried hard". No, we leave mad and looking for revenge (me included again). Do our fans show respect where respect is due? I think we do, but to keep labeling us the "Classiest Fans in College Football" to me is some what tiresome.

Anyways, just my two cents. I'm interested in see what other Husker fans feel about this. :thumbs

ps Sorry for any gramatical or spelling erros, trying to send this out before the boss sees it. :rollin

In my opinion (from a Southern California native; aka "outsider"), the 'classiest' label has morphed from just the fans in the stadium to Nebraska's worldwide following. Here is an example... a couple of years ago I was standing in line at a Starbucks in Huntington Beach, CA, and an Oklahoma fan came in... we were both dressed in our gear and soon the OU fan and I were having a great discussion... much respect on both sides, "You guys look great this year", "So do you", "Go Big Red", "Boomer Sooner"... it was great and ended on a peaceful and respectful note. 'Classiest fans in college football'. Later during that same visit, a guy walks in wearing USC gear... mouthing off "Trojans all the way baby!" and eventually gets around to my new OU friend who is still standing in line. After a few stupid taunts he comes right out (in public) with "Oh, and f*ck you Oklahoma... we got your asses back in 05!" :facepalm:

With that perspective in mind, we ARE the classiest fans in college football. :)

On the flip side...I have heard some Husker fans beat their chests and talk smack about how we beat (enter team name here) back in the early 90's.

Ok what I am going to say is not a personal attack on anyone here. If you get butt hurt I am sorry :lol: I was born and raised in Nebraska and attended school in Lincoln (UNL) during the days of the 90's. You know, the days when we destroyed teams by an avg of 35 pts a game. Yeah, those hay days. Now back to my current topic. I for one am tired of hearing about Husker fans being the "Classiest Fans in College Football". Are we that now? Hmmm don't really think so. Was I ever that type of fan? Nope.

We are fans who LOVE their University but feel compelled to complain and call out BS when we smell or see it. Coaches, players, refs, league commisioners, the list goes on and on. Is this wrong? I don't think so. The term "classiest fans" was coined during the years when we would literally beat the sh#t out of other teams. We would clap for other teams in our stadium because after putting 60 pts on a team, it made us feel warm and fuzzy inside. Their players and fans felt that we were "sure nice because they clapped for us, after beating us". Now....Husker fans (me included) turn into rabbid fans who grow horns and snarl when our team loses. We don't go into other stadiums and clap and say "hey great game, you really kicked our ass, but gosh, we sure tried hard". No, we leave mad and looking for revenge (me included again). Do our fans show respect where respect is due? I think we do, but to keep labeling us the "Classiest Fans in College Football" to me is some what tiresome.

Anyways, just my two cents. I'm interested in see what other Husker fans feel about this. :thumbs

ps Sorry for any gramatical or spelling erros, trying to send this out before the boss sees it. :rollin

In my opinion (from a Southern California native; aka "outsider"), the 'classiest' label has morphed from just the fans in the stadium to Nebraska's worldwide following. Here is an example... a couple of years ago I was standing in line at a Starbucks in Huntington Beach, CA, and an Oklahoma fan came in... we were both dressed in our gear and soon the OU fan and I were having a great discussion... much respect on both sides, "You guys look great this year", "So do you", "Go Big Red", "Boomer Sooner"... it was great and ended on a peaceful and respectful note. 'Classiest fans in college football'. Later during that same visit, a guy walks in wearing USC gear... mouthing off "Trojans all the way baby!" and eventually gets around to my new OU friend who is still standing in line. After a few stupid taunts he comes right out (in public) with "Oh, and f*ck you Oklahoma... we got your asses back in 05!" :facepalm:

With that perspective in mind, we ARE the classiest fans in college football. :)

On the flip side...I have heard some Husker fans beat their chests and talk smack about how we beat (enter team name here) back in the early 90's.

Fair point... I have done my fair share of boasting (I work with Iowa State and Missouri alums), but I have never been belligerent, abusive, rude, etc. But as Dan Beebe himself said, a few outliers and bad eggs do not a fan base make.

Every time I read the phrase "butt hurt" I lose 1/3 of an IQ point, and it's not like I've got some kind of surplus up there.

Classiest fans? We were back when we were disemboweling people on the field, maybe. I spend a decent amount of time on various message boards though, and I can tell you this much: When it comes to the internet, we're pretty much the exact same as everyone else.

As for Memorial Stadium and everything that comes with it, I do think that is a special and unique environment. Outside of that, well...

I'm gonna apply the 80/20 rule to this issue.

First, I love Huskerboard! My favorite posters are the mods ... Knapp is probable the one I identify most with. Mods are mods because they have been here the longest, are involved, are knowledgeable ... and they are mature in what they say and how they say it. I love reading Mods posts ... there sound, fair ... reasonable ... yet spirited with a touch of passion. There vision is clear ... with a tint of RED ... as you would think it would be. They are the 20% of the rule.

The other 80% are a bunch of RED glass wearers that are so blinded they can't think straight! My God, they are fear-mongers who seem to be riding the Titantic and are sinking. They don't show up everyday to read the board ... but they show up to gloat after a win and show up to call for someone's head after every freakin' loss. I can do without that 80%. They drive me nuts ... it's embarrassing to have them in the fan base.

At the end of the day ... 20% of this board is good ... 80% is not. I read the 20% and try as best as I can to avoid the crappy 80% ... and hey ... if the shoe fits ... wear it. Personally, I'm quite pissed at many posts on this board after the losses ... a week later I can tolerate them.

Here's my main point ... I'll put our 20% up against any other fan bases and we win! I'll also put our 80% crappy fans up against any other fan base ... and my guess would be we probably win that.

In that end ... I don't really care if we are known as a "classy" fan base. I choose to be a part of the 20% in what I say and how I say it ... and I choose to hang out with the 20% I appreciate. I stand up for what is right and call a spade a spade.

My thanks to you on this board that bring your "A" game ... you are why I'm here.

SheepdogMark

Sorry, Leach, but we clap after OUR team loses, too (unless some jackass from Texas plants the flag on the N while the crowd is being respectful, then you'll get booed). I think that some people might have a problem with our fans applauding the visiting team because if they lose, they want to be able to have a "poor us" story to take home about how mean the fans really are (I mean, come on, they even twist applause into something bad) or when they win, they want to see anger and hostility in the crowd so they know they got to us. But, really, most often, if I think about it for even half a second, I appreciate the teams that come here so that I have a game to watch. Sometimes, even when Huskers lose, the games were tons of fun and still worth the price of admission. So, thanks other team, for showing up and letting me watch my school play football. 12 scrimmages a year would get dull ;)