The Legend of Bubba

Good read, thanks for posting. He seems like a fantastic kid, which is more exciting to me than his talent. He seems genuine when he says he is not sure what he wants to do next. I wouldn't be shocked if he and his family put a high priority on education. Then again, I get the feeling that football is kind of an after thought and that baseball is his true love. I'd be great if it happens, but I think it ultimately will not.

Sounds mature enough to realize that sitting on a bus traveling around from small town to small town playing baseball in front of maybe 500 people that would rather be at a county fair may not be the right move for an 18 year old. Of course he might get put out by HuskerNation all up in his business, too.

It's like the article says; he still doesn't know what he wants to do with his career. I think a lot of his reason for committing and not going straight into baseball is the integrity of the Husker coaching staff. Both the football and baseball staff. Maybe he would love to be RED and win a lot of games on two different fields. Just have to wait and see.

GBR

That was a heck of an article! Sounds like a Roy Hobbs of all sports!

Lord knows I can't handle another Carl Crawford... Especially if Bubba would go to the Red Sox later in his career! We do need to ask ourselves this one question thought, if Bubba has all those intangibles is it possible that we could make him a premiere prospect in the NFL?

Also do we know which sport he likes better?

Sounds like Bubba has everything going for him! Really probably one of the biggest 'gets' of this class. Helps put a lot of that hype into context, as Bubba is supposedly a pretty raw QB as well, maybe moreso than Jamal? Nonetheless, what a beast. That sie/speed ratio has killer potential. He could be a bigger legend in football than in baseball - JMO, because legendary QBs are damned legendary.

Sounds like Bubba has everything going for him! Really probably one of the biggest 'gets' of this class. Helps put a lot of that hype into context, as Bubba is supposedly a pretty raw QB as well, maybe moreso than Jamal? Nonetheless, what a beast. That sie/speed ratio has killer potential. He could be a bigger legend in football than in baseball - JMO, because legendary QBs are damned legendary.

I agree. He'll always have a chance to go play pro baseball. Why not take a shot at football? I really, really doubt it happens, but it would be cool if it did.

I think we'd have a better shot at getting him later if he tried baseball and didn't make it (like Weinke) and then came to school, than we do getting him out of HS. I certainly would lock in on the money now. $5-10M is a much better fallback to have than a UNL education. I've done well for myself with that education and I don't think I've hit even the low end of that kind of money. You can get an education at any age, but there may not another time when someone is offering you a multi million dollar contract. But who knows what's really going through his mind and what's important to him?

I certainly hope for his sake he doesn't become another Josh Hamilton. Hamilton finally pulled through it and good for him, but his life was nearly in the gutter for a few years and most would've stayed there.