Rich Rod 4 OC!

Mangino does seem to be the best choice of the names I hear. RR will not consider dropping to OC at this point unless its a move to NFL. Peck might bring to the table nothing more than Watson and that would be a waste. If he called the plays in the bowl game then definitly not. There has to be better options out there, NO?

This would be a perfect fit for where we want to go with our offense, but I think RichRod will get picked up somewhere as a head coach. His time at Michigan wasn't that bad.

1-11 vs. ranked teams

you can have him. I will drive him to the airport myself.

Then we'll take him. Keep in mind he would be the OC. He won't go near our stellar defense. How many games did Michigan's porous defense lose the team this year?

No Richard - we wouldn't. Read from the know - not with what you agree with.

"Read from the know?"

I would definitely take Rodriguez as OC. Even getting crushed today, his offense still scored twice as many points as we did in our bowl game.

People have a love affair with Mangino for basically 1 year, yes, KU's offense was 2nd in 2007 in scoring, but they did that playing an awful schedule.

Here's the ranks of scoring D's KU faced in 2007

111th

75th in FCS

116th

115th

86th

112th

78th

49th

114th

79th

93rd

37th

3rd

Avg- 83rd with the FBS schools (I didn't factor in the FCS school)

They averaged 43 PPG that year, but against top 100 defenses they were held to 2 TD's less per game, and the top 50 defenses they faced held them 20 points under their average. They just got a magical schedule that year.

NCAA online stats go back to 2001, here's Mangino's offenses

01- 27th (OU)

02- 96th

03- 36th

04- 76th

05- 83rd

06- 29th

07- 2nd

08- 22nd

09- 42nd

Average- 46th

Watson's

01- 23rd

02- 51st

03- 63rd

04- 81st

05- 78th

07- 28th

08- 18th

09- 75th

10- 28th (pre bowl game)

Average 49th

So explain to me again why Mangino is a mastermind and Watson is an idiot? Literally other than 1 year where Mangino had a magic schedule, he was equal to Watson.

What exactly has Mangino proved as an assistant? He inherited a Mike Leach designed offense in 2000 and got a NC, but that offense got worse as the season went on, his last 4 games that year he averaged 19.75 PPG, very Watson like in "big games" when it counted, he only led the 2000 offense to 12 against an unranked Oklahoma State team in the Bedlam game.

In 2001 his offense fell to 27th, which while good, was plagued by offenses that couldn't score when the big games came, scoring only 10 points vs NU, 13 against unranked OSU and 10 against Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl.

Not to mention his off the field issues with weight, and significant anger issues that have plauged him in the high school ranks, as a father at his son's high school games, on campus with the campus security at KU, and on the practice field with his own players. Mark Mangino is an average coach, and significantly below average as a human being. No thanks. If he was so great, and his former boss Bob Stoops had an opening for OC, why didn't he hire Mangino back?

• Fire 2

We had a player go to KU to play in Mangino's final year, said the guy was a giant douche. He was nice when he recruited him and all that, but after the first mistake he made, Mangino told him he would "send him back to that fn hick town where you came from" if he messed up again

He also told a player who's brother had been shot and had been in the hospital that he was going to send him back to St. Louis to get shot with his homies.

We had a player go to KU to play in Mangino's final year, said the guy was a giant douche. He was nice when he recruited him and all that, but after the first mistake he made, Mangino told him he would "send him back to that fn hick town where you came from" if he messed up again

He also told a player who's brother had been shot and had been in the hospital that he was going to send him back to St. Louis to get shot with his homies.

I would've punched him right in his face if he said that to me and then walked. Don't want the guy here regardless, but that's absolutely ridiculous if true.

Jliehr, I enjoyed your post listing the rankings. Thanks for work on the post. I appreciate this line of argument, especially on a board full of opinion.

I think a point to add to the discussion would be the quality of recruit we get verses Kansas. However, with our program the past 4-5 years we haunt had great recruits year in and out either.

For me, I see the character issues as well for Mangino ... and I'm going to conclude as well that his weight is an expression of some deeper issues. I would think a guy like him would offer some grace to a mistake rather than berate the student/athlete.

He's not for me ... but your argument substatiated the issue with some solid stats.

SheepdogMark

the 14 pts against Miss State is very Watson like. I know MissSt has a good defense, so this just further proves the point. Anybody that wants RichRod is smoking some serious acid.

Signed Tom Osborne being shutout in the 1991 Orange Bowl, only putting up 3 points in the 1988 Orange Bowl and averaging 11.8 PPG in bowls between 1988 and 1993.

:facepalm:

Exactly.

People have a love affair with Mangino for basically 1 year, yes, KU's offense was 2nd in 2007 in scoring, but they did that playing an awful schedule.

111th

75th in FCS

116th

115th

86th

112th

78th

49th

114th

79th

93rd

37th

3rd

They averaged 43 PPG that year, but against top 100 defenses they were held to 2 TD's less per game, and the top 50 defenses they faced held them 20 points under their average. They just got a magical schedule that year.

01- 27th (OU)

02- 96th

03- 36th

04- 76th

05- 83rd

06- 29th

07- 2nd

08- 22nd

09- 42nd

Average- 46th

Watson's

01- 23rd

02- 51st

03- 63rd

04- 81st

05- 78th

07- 28th

08- 18th

09- 75th

10- 28th (pre bowl game)

Average 49th

So explain to me again why Mangino is a mastermind and Watson is an idiot? Literally other than 1 year where Mangino had a magic schedule, he was equal to Watson.

What exactly has Mangino proved as an assistant? He inherited a Mike Leach designed offense in 2000 and got a NC, but that offense got worse as the season went on, his last 4 games that year he averaged 19.75 PPG, very Watson like in "big games" when it counted, he only led the 2000 offense to 12 against an unranked Oklahoma State team in the Bedlam game.

In 2001 his offense fell to 27th, which while good, was plagued by offenses that couldn't score when the big games came, scoring only 10 points vs NU, 13 against unranked OSU and 10 against Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl.

Not to mention his off the field issues with weight, and significant anger issues that have plauged him in the high school ranks, as a father at his son's high school games, on campus with the campus security at KU, and on the practice field with his own players. Mark Mangino is an average coach, and significantly below average as a human being. No thanks. If he was so great, and his former boss Bob Stoops had an opening for OC, why didn't he hire Mangino back?

If we're going off the rankings and statistics, I want the guy that Texas just fired. He's Mangino in reverse. He was fired for one bad year when basically every other year Davis was money.

111th

75th in FCS

116th

115th

86th

112th

78th

49th

114th

79th

93rd

37th

3rd

01- 27th (OU)

02- 96th

03- 36th

04- 76th

05- 83rd

06- 29th

07- 2nd

08- 22nd

09- 42nd

Average- 46th

Watson's

01- 23rd

02- 51st

03- 63rd

04- 81st

05- 78th

07- 28th

08- 18th

09- 75th

10- 28th (pre bowl game)

Average 49th

If we're going off the rankings and statistics, I want the guy that Texas just fired. He's Mangino in reverse. He was fired for one bad year when basically every other year Davis was money.

No the guy texas just fired was shawn watson, he's fine when he has amazing athletes but cannot adapt or make adjustments when he's forced to.