Bo under attack again by the press

I think Blake Lawrence clears this up on Twitter.

@HuskersGameday @lisahorne @cornnation Coach Bo made the same joke last year at the game. In no way did he have malicious/deceiving intent

@LisaHorne I sat with Ryan at the banquet, talked with him at the game. Great guy. Perhaps mislead by Bo's joke. I understand that.

The author of this article, now...she's definitely writing for FOX.

LisaHorne Lisa Horne

@

@mattpoulsen Very well. I would love to hear ur opinion. I'm fair and balanced.

That was a cheap shot. Sorry. :P

Maybe he will finally learn his lesson and show a little respect towards the media. I was listening to the post game press conference when this lady asked the question regarding the sailor calling the play. He was very short and disrespectful with her. When is he going to figure out that the press is simply doing their job, the same way he is doing his. IMO he deserves to be attacked by the media like this. I wish more of the local media would step up and ask the difficult questions and write the difficult stories to keep Bo accountable.

LOL. He is at Nebraska to win football games. He is not worried about his relations with the media, why would he be? Give me a rude-to-reporters guy who wins, and I'll take him everytime over a nice-to-reporters underachiever (Dabo).

"You dang right, cause he's a winner, he can say what he wants"

--Ricky Bobby.

Bo Pelini is at Nebraska to win football games AND represent the state and University of Nebraska in the right way. That means giving respect to your peers.

Oh and nice movie quote...really relevant to real life.

Can't take a joke?

I'm tired of people sticking up for members of the media because they are "doing their job." BS. Questioning other peoples jobs is now their job???

Imagine you are sitting in front of your boss. You are explaining to him and the board of directors how you just screwed up a big business deal. You are trying to explain how the deal went bad (finances, logistics, labor costs, etc.)and what you plan on doing to make sure it doesn't happen again. You are concentrating on questions pertaining to a situation in which you failed.

The secretary then interupts your meeting, "excuse me, Mr. Pelini. What color of flowers would you like me to pick up for your anniversary?"

Hey, she's just doing her job!

:laughpound

2891560590_15903c3f05_o.jpg

Please enlighten with a better analogy then.

Even though this is really a non-story, I'm not surprised a writer is making it a bigger story than it needs to be.

I talked about this a few months back - when you are stand-offish, rude, and blow off the media as Bo has done so much while he has been here, they will eventually slowly turn on you. I'm only surprised that it was not some local writer who finally got fed up with Bo.

One thing Bo definitely needs to realize and accept is that the media is going nowhere, no matter how much he wishes they would. And if he continues to shut them out and display a horrid attitude to them, it is only going to hurt him in the future more than anything else.

Dealing with the media is part of the gig, so although it isn't in Bo's personality, he just needs to smile, answer their questions and try to be as polite as possible. And yes, that includes even when a hoard of cameras are not in his face.

No matter how minimal anyone thinks this may be, it is blowing up on the Web. Front page of MSN. Fox Sports is showing it. I am surprised ESPN doesn't have it up yet.

"Coaches joke hurts servicemen"

Talk about bad press. That sure doesn't shed a positive light on the program.

Here's how you know it's not a real story. If it was, when the University makes it right with this sailor - and they will - it won't get coverage. It'll get a blurb here and there, but it won't be front-page news.

The reason this is front-page right now is that the press tends to stick together. You've heard of the "coaches fraternity," right? There's something similar amongst the press; they all have the same goal in mind. They all need a story. They all have each other's backs when it comes to stuff like a big, mean, awful football coach snapping at a poor, just-doing-their-job reporter.

Case in point, Mike Gundy's famous "I'm a man! I'm 40!" rant. Gundy justifiably went off on an idiot reporter who did a hatchet job on Gundy's quarterback, Bobby Reid. The reporter was Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman, a paper as two-bit as the JournalStar. Nobody nationally reads Carlson's articles, but locally, Gundy read it and was pissed. Next news conference he gave Carlson a piece of his mind, and she very much deserved it. Guess who the national media sided with? Stewart Mandel wrote a lengthy piece on it in his mailbag later that month in which he valiantly rode to the rescue of Ms. Carlson - all the while completely missing the reason(s) for the disconnect between coaches and the media, or fans and the media.

The media sides with the media.

I'm tired of people sticking up for members of the media because they are "doing their job." BS. Questioning other peoples jobs is now their job???

There is a reason they are called the PRESS. Their job is to press them for stories and answers to topics the public (me) want to hear. I want to know that Bo Pelini is running our football team the right way. I also want to know details about what happens around the football team. I donate my money to the athletic department and buy my tickets, which pays Bo's HUGE salary, so I deserve this information. The only way I will get this type of information is through the media. Well I could go to practice if I really wanted to but...Id rather just read the paper.

Even though this is really a non-story, I'm not surprised a writer is making it a bigger story than it needs to be.

I talked about this a few months back - when you are stand-offish, rude, and blow off the media as Bo has done so much while he has been here, they will eventually slowly turn on you. I'm only surprised that it was not some local writer who finally got fed up with Bo.

One thing Bo definitely needs to realize and accept is that the media is going nowhere, no matter how much he wishes they would. And if he continues to shut them out and display a horrid attitude to them, it is only going to hurt him in the future more than anything else.

Dealing with the media is part of the gig, so although it isn't in Bo's personality, he just needs to smile, answer their questions and try to be as polite as possible. And yes, that includes even when a hoard of cameras are not in his face.

Hit the nail on the head.

No matter how minimal anyone thinks this may be, it is blowing up on the Web. Front page of MSN. Fox Sports is showing it. I am surprised ESPN doesn't have it up yet.

Here's how you know it's not a real story. If it was, when the University makes it right with this sailor - and they will - it won't get coverage. It'll get a blurb here and there, but it won't be front-page news.

The reason this is front-page right now is that the press tends to stick together. You've heard of the "coaches fraternity," right? There's something similar amongst the press; they all have the same goal in mind. They all need a story. They all have each other's backs when it comes to stuff like a big, mean, awful football coach snapping at a poor, just-doing-their-job reporter.

Case in point, Mike Gundy's famous "I'm a man! I'm 40!" rant. Gundy justifiably went off on an idiot reporter who did a hatchet job on Gundy's quarterback, Bobby Reid. The reporter was Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman, a paper as two-bit as the JournalStar. Nobody nationally reads Carlson's articles, but locally, Gundy read it and was pissed. Next news conference he gave Carlson a piece of his mind, and she very much deserved it. Guess who the national media sided with? Stewart Mandel wrote a lengthy piece on it in his mailbag later that month in which he valiantly rode to the rescue of Ms. Carlson - all the while completely missing the reason(s) for the disconnect between coaches and the media, or fans and the media.

It doesn't matter if it is a real story or not. It is the University of Nebraska (particularly the football team) spurning the Military. That is the public perception. A good way to piss off a lot of Americans is to be anti-military.

And about Gundy, they still show clips of his outburst 3 or so years after the fact. I think he was in the right too for defending his player, but that doesn't mean it didn't bring negative press to OSU.

OMG! This woman is so off base. She seems to think a 7 month deployment is a big deal, she doesn't have a clue. Both of my tours overseas were for 2 years. We pulled in to a total of 7 Liberty Ports in 4 years. A tour in the Mediteranian has has more Liberty Ports per mile of beach front than any place in the world other than maybe the Caribean. She obviously just choose this as an opportunity to bash the Nebraska Head Couch. Who in the hell is she anyway? Never heard of her and probably never will.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1:

It doesn't matter if it is a real story or not. It is the University of Nebraska (particularly the football team) spurning the Military. That is the public perception. A good way to piss off a lot of Americans is to be anti-military.

And about Gundy, they still show clips of his outburst 3 or so years after the fact. I think he was in the right too for defending his player, but that doesn't mean it didn't bring negative press to OSU.

That's only the perception of stupid people.

This is stupid and she should be fired. Dumb broad!

Easy there, Ron Franklin! :lol:

I say we start overloading her email inbox

You beat me to it!

Lets give him a call and see if he can call her up and straighten her out.

"Listen sweetheart, Bo was just joking around. Don't get your panties in a wad, toots. Leave the real reporting to the men, ok babe?"

:facepalm:

Just joking.

GBR.

OMG! This woman is so off base. She seems to think a 7 month deployment is a big deal, she doesn't have a clue. Both of my tours overseas were for 2 years. We pulled in to a total of 7 Liberty Ports in 4 years. A tour in the Mediteranian has has more Liberty Ports per mile of beach front than any place in the world other than maybe the Caribean. She obviously just choose this as an opportunity to bash the Nebraska Head Couch. Who in the hell is she anyway? Never heard of her and probably never will.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1:

Is this a joke?

Somehow, someway, I'm sure y'all will find a way to blame Texas for this :sarcasm

Who cares? i know I don't and I know Pelini doesn't. Bo's job is to coach, not to have sappy heart warming stories in the news. He doesn't give a rat's a## as to what people think of him, all he cares about is his task at hand, which is all that is really important. As long as Bo is successful and doesn't do anything illegal or destructive, i don't care how much of a jack wagon he may appear to be... He's doing his job and that's all that matters to me.

I agree.. BUT WHY OFFER IT TO THIS KID THEN?!?!

maybe he thought there would be a blow out.

Makes Bo look bad, but this writer seems to be trying to destroy Bo reputation.

I heard Bo's quote, and he didn't bark. I also heard Bo when he they named the sailor to stand on the sideline. The part about having him call a play was clearly a joke, and got a laugh from those in attendance.

Here's the link: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/bo-pelini-nebraska-cornhuskers-holiday-bowl-broken-promise-to-naval-officer-010511

The kid from Minden is clearly invited to stand on the sidelines, but the part about calling the play was definitely a joke.