SIGNED RB/DB Ameer Abdullah

We are known for our running offense and only have one scholarship player at the running back position other than the guys we bring in in this class. Ameer liked that he would be one of 3 scholarship backs if he commits, he also likes that our coaches were straight up with him and wanted to get to know him outside of football, he said he loved how they wanted to know about his family and stuff before him as a football player. He also said that he has known Nebraska had a great football program but did not know how nice our facilities were going to be or how football focused the whole state was going to be. He liked a lot about the program.

Auburn has come into the picture since Ameer committed to Nebraska. They have not officially offered him yet but want him to take an official to their campus. Ameer did not know Auburn would come into the picture, or else I guarantee you he would have held off his commitment to Nebraska. He commits... then the war eagle swoops in. Ameer has bled orange and navy his whole life and has grown up a HUGE auburn fan so you can not blame this kid for looking at taking this visit. It would be the same situation if Ryne Reeves had not had a Nebraska offer... committed to a school like Oklahoma State, and then 2 weeks before signing day Nebraska swept in and came after him... he'd make the visit and the switch in a heartbeat because he grew up a husker fan, bleeds husker red, and has all sorts of family who have gone to the school.

So you can't blame Ameer if in the end he goes with Auburn. Auburn is -7 right now so they have 7 open scholarships and definitely have room for Ameer. Now Michael Dyer is a Sophomore next year, was a 5* and ended up starting as a TrFr. He's got the starting spot at RB on lock down at Auburn and they've got a 4* RB coming in from Georgia who's 5th in the country at his position in addition to the 4 guys they took at RB in 2009. So without a doubt, they are MUCH deeper at the RB position, than we are at this point.

Nebraska NEEDS Ameer as their 3rd scholarship back... for Auburn he'd be icing on the already 6 layer RB cake.

We are known for our running offense and only have one scholarship player at the running back position other than the guys we bring in in this class. Ameer liked that he would be one of 3 scholarship backs if he commits, he also likes that our coaches were straight up with him and wanted to get to know him outside of football, he said he loved how they wanted to know about his family and stuff before him as a football player. He also said that he has known Nebraska had a great football program but did not know how nice our facilities were going to be or how football focused the whole state was going to be. He liked a lot about the program.

Auburn has come into the picture since Ameer committed to Nebraska. They have not officially offered him yet but want him to take an official to their campus. Ameer did not know Auburn would come into the picture, or else I guarantee you he would have held off his commitment to Nebraska. He commits... then the war eagle swoops in. Ameer has bled orange and navy his whole life and has grown up a HUGE auburn fan so you can not blame this kid for looking at taking this visit. It would be the same situation if Ryne Reeves had not had a Nebraska offer... committed to a school like Oklahoma State, and then 2 weeks before signing day Nebraska swept in and came after him... he'd make the visit and the switch in a heartbeat because he grew up a husker fan, bleeds husker red, and has all sorts of family who have gone to the school.

So you can't blame Ameer if in the end he goes with Auburn. Auburn is -7 right now so they have 7 open scholarships and definitely have room for Ameer. Now Michael Dyer is a Sophomore next year, was a 5* and ended up starting as a TrFr. He's got the starting spot at RB on lock down at Auburn and they've got a 4* RB coming in from Georgia who's 5th in the country at his position in addition to the 4 guys they took at RB in 2009. So without a doubt, they are MUCH deeper at the RB position, than we are at this point.

Nebraska NEEDS Ameer as their 3rd scholarship back... for Auburn he'd be icing on the already 6 layer RB cake.

This just a rambling of speculation and assumptions, kind of like the fortune teller informing you that you'll have success and failure in life? Well duh, who doesn't?

Aren't Okafur, Jones, and Ward on scholarship? Wouldn't Ameer end up being the icing on an already 5-6 layer RB cake at NB too?

This just a rambling of speculation and assumptions, kind of like the fortune teller informing you that you'll have success and failure in life? Well duh, who doesn't?

Aren't Okafur, Jones, and Ward on scholarship? Wouldn't Ameer end up being the icing on an already 5-6 layer RB cake at NB too?

Really it's just a summarization of the last 20 posts in this thread.

I'm assuming the 3 scholly backs Ameer's referring to include Burkhead, Jones, and Ward. Okafur is on scholarship, but with his history, I'm not sure the coaches even think of him that way. Ameer is just saying what the coaches told him. I'll also assume that Ameer is looking at the type of back we are recruiting and what we have on the current roster. Truthfully, only Austin Jones fits the "scat-back" roll. Burkhead is a do-it-all guy but lacks the top end speed the coaches want..hence recruiting Green and Abdullah.

I'm assuming the 3 scholly backs Ameer's referring to include Burkhead, Jones, and Ward. Okafur is on scholarship, but with his history, I'm not sure the coaches even think of him that way. Ameer is just saying what the coaches told him. I'll also assume that Ameer is looking at the type of back we are recruiting and what we have on the current roster. Truthfully, only Austin Jones fits the "scat-back" roll. Burkhead is a do-it-all guy but lacks the top end speed the coaches want..hence recruiting Green and Abdullah.

summarization...w/ the added color and BS to make it sound more dramatic than it really is. blah blah blah. :)

I must have missed Ammeer referencing numbers - I just read above: "only have one scholarship player at the running back position other than the guys we bring in in this class" - we have 4, 3 of which are legit.

summarization...w/ the added color and BS to make it sound more dramatic than it really is. blah blah blah. :)

I must have missed Ammeer referencing numbers - I just read above: "only have one scholarship player at the running back position other than the guys we bring in in this class" - we have 4, 3 of which are legit.

Gotcha....we definitely have more than 1 scholly RB. Sometimes the thin line between opinion/speculation/fact get blow up like Chernobyl on message boards. :LOLtartar

We have Rex Burkhead, Collins Okafor, Lester Ward. That's three by my count, and there are possibly two walk-ons on the depth chart between Burkhead and the other two guys. It could have been an unintentional leaking of signs to come, similar to Jamal Turner's comments about Beck.

We have Rex Burkhead, Collins Okafor, Lester Ward. That's three by my count, and there are possibly two walk-ons on the depth chart between Burkhead and the other two guys. It could have been an unintentional leaking of signs to come, similar to Jamal Turner's comments about Beck.

I can't really see that happening. IF CO and LW were gone we'd be down to Rexy and two TruFroshs. I can't see that happening, not with what we saw when our QBs get hurt...

If Heard makes it, we might have three true freshman running backs, plus the aforementioned walk-ons that seem like they would step in before Okafor or Ward - all told, anywhere from 4 to 6 guys before those two. I do hope Ward/Okafor step it up though, there's still always that chance and you can't have enough bodies at RB sometimes. I think what hurt most was Tray transferring; good insurance despite the style difference. I think if injuries had hit we would have had to conform to Tray's style a bit, or at least I would hope so.

On the other hand, 4-6 is a large number, and the 4 is assuming neither Heard nor Abdullah make it. If we are in the 5-6 range, I could certainly see the reason for devoting a pair of scholarships elsewhere when we can afford to. The more scholarship spots we have occupied by players who wouldn't see the field (I am just speaking in general here), the more it's like we are effectively on probation.

If Heard makes it, we might have three true freshman running backs, plus the aforementioned walk-ons that seem like they would step in before Okafor or Ward - all told, anywhere from 4 to 6 guys before those two. I do hope Ward/Okafor step it up though, there's still always that chance and you can't have enough bodies at RB sometimes. I think what hurt most was Tray transferring; good insurance despite the style difference. I think if injuries had hit we would have had to conform to Tray's style a bit, or at least I would hope so.

On the other hand, 4-6 is a large number, and the 4 is assuming neither Heard nor Abdullah make it. If we are in the 5-6 range, I could certainly see the reason for devoting a pair of scholarships elsewhere when we can afford to. The more scholarship spots we have occupied by players who wouldn't see the field (I am just speaking in general here), the more it's like we are effectively on probation.

conform to an individuals abilities due to an injury? that's crazy talk right thar!