D Tray Transfer

simply put, the guy is frustrated and wants to go where he can play every Saturday....damn, Montana State?

i hear they issue snowshoes to all their players. :hmmph

Really good FCS program...not that uncommon for players to move to an FCS program where they can play and finish their degree with a little less stress.

Who said anything about AJ being "quality?" He's a warm body. He's a fifth-year senior with less than 30 career carries. Nobody thinks he's the second coming of Ahman Green. All anyone is saying is that he's on the roster. He's not going to lead us to a conference title, but if Burkhead and Co. all lose a limb, Jones would be better suited to carry the ball between the tackles than Jason Dann.

One poster mentions him sharing carries with Aaron Green. Another says “considerable” contributions from Green/JONES/Heard (listing Jones 2nd). You listed him as #2 of your list of running backs and said he should not be “overlooked”.

Sorry but mentioning the guy getting carries or reminding people to not “overlook” him is more then “being on the roster” or a “warm body”.

Whatever though. If Green isn’t as good as promised that leaves us with Burkhead and nothing after that.

One poster mentions him sharing carries with Aaron Green. Another says “considerable” contributions from Green/JONES/Heard (listing Jones 2nd). You listed him as #2 of your list of running backs and said he should not be “overlooked”.

Sorry but mentioning the guy getting carries or reminding people to not “overlook” him is more then “being on the roster” or a “warm body”.

Whatever though. If Green isn’t as good as promised that leaves us with Burkhead and nothing after that.

I listed players as I thought of them. I didn't imply or state that he was #2 on the depth chart. You're overblowing this, and there's just no reason to.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see it mentioned in here but after an interview with a Montana newspaper, Tray Robinson mention the main reason why he chose to transfer was because he didn't feel he was a good fit for the zone-read offense that the Huskers run. I have to agree with Robinson on this, Bo seems to want speedy backs to line up with Martinez with the zone-read, Robinson does not fit that profile. While Montana State does run some zone-read as well, their OC and head coach are more power running than anything else. Not to mention the relationship between the QB and Robinson that also sealed the deal.

With that being said, who on our CURRENT roster can be labeled as a speedy back? I can only think Burkhead, maybe Jones, but that is about it. I don't see Ward or Okafur getting playing time if they aren't fast enough to meet Bo's speedy requirement for the offense.

Knowing Bo's requirement for a speedy back to help run the zone-read, it looks more likely that Green will start next to Burkhead. But depth wise, it doesn't not look good. I say that because, if an injury happens to Burkhead or Green, or heaven forbid both of them, what does the offense do? If we nab Abdullah, he is not going to be an immediate impact player like Burkhead was or Green will be, it will take time for him to develop to that level. My point is, we need to recruit some faster backs soon to replace the older backs that don't fit the zone-read system before the offense is forced to make a change of philosophy because of injuries and lack of depth for what the offense wants to run.

I don't even think Burkhead is a true fit. Come think of it, was Helu? I never really thought of him as a speed back and was surprised when he broke all those long runs. People were complaining that Helu isn't a dynamite threat laterally. Helu just seems to be all purpose good. And Burkhead is tough as nails, which is why he has been and will be a great utility back for us. The Rexcat is the most innovative and effective thing this offense has shown, these past two seasons. Rex is probably a bigger asset running the ZR than being the guy taking the handoff.

I agree with you though. On the current roster, we have Green and Heard and neither are even on the current roster. I hope Heard even makes it.

I've heard some people say Okafor is blazing fast, but he is being passed up on the depth chart by walk-ons, and is he really that kind of fast? Ward, Jones, I can't really think of as speed guys but I could be wrong. Ward is pretty tall to be that kind of back in my opinion. I'm unfamiliar with the walk-on who has been making waves recently.

My point is, we need to recruit some faster backs soon to replace the older backs that don't fit the zone-read system before the offense is forced to make a change of philosophy because of injuries and lack of depth for what the offense wants to run.

I agree. It would seem unwise to force through a philosophy shift when we only have a couple top-level pieces really suited to run it. Anything happens to those guys, then what do we? Same applie(d) for this year. Even 2011, might be too early for the transformation. Without it - perhaps we even keep Tray, a guy who showed promise in 2009. There's no reason to leave people behind in terms of the offense when we don't need to yet.

So if Green gets hurt, what do we do? Line up Taylor and Burkhead? I cannot imagine that is the most effective use of Burkhead. And what if two RBs go down at any one point in the year? That is honestly very possible; then what? "Oh crap"? It wouldn't be if we had Heard, but I don't like how much this hinges on one freshman getting here.

I hope Bo will think long and hard about going back to the 2009 Holiday Bowl and building from there.

I don't even think Burkhead is a true fit. Come think of it, was Helu? I never really thought of him as a speed back and was surprised when he broke all those long runs. People were complaining that Helu isn't a dynamite threat laterally. Helu just seems to be all purpose good. And Burkhead is tough as nails, which is why he has been and will be a great utility back for us. The Rexcat is the most innovative and effective thing this offense has shown, these past two seasons. Rex is probably a bigger asset running the ZR than being the guy taking the handoff.

I agree with you though. On the current roster, we have Green and Heard and neither are even on the current roster. I hope Heard even makes it.

I've heard some people say Okafor is blazing fast, but he is being passed up on the depth chart by walk-ons, and is he really that kind of fast? Ward, Jones, I can't really think of as speed guys but I could be wrong. Ward is pretty tall to be that kind of back in my opinion. I'm unfamiliar with the walk-on who has been making waves recently.

My point is, we need to recruit some faster backs soon to replace the older backs that don't fit the zone-read system before the offense is forced to make a change of philosophy because of injuries and lack of depth for what the offense wants to run.

I agree. It would seem unwise to force through a philosophy shift when we only have a couple top-level pieces really suited to run it. Anything happens to those guys, then what do we? Same applie(d) for this year. Even 2011, might be too early for the transformation. Without it - perhaps we even keep Tray, a guy who showed promise in 2009. There's no reason to leave people behind in terms of the offense when we don't need to yet.

So if Green gets hurt, what do we do? Line up Taylor and Burkhead? I cannot imagine that is the most effective use of Burkhead. And what if two RBs go down at any one point in the year? That is honestly very possible; then what? "Oh crap"? It wouldn't be if we had Heard, but I don't like how much this hinges on one freshman getting here.

I hope Bo will think long and hard about going back to the 2009 Holiday Bowl and building from there.

Okafor is kind of a waste of talent. I understand he only wants to try hard in practice if he is certain he'll play.

Sounds like we really need to pick up recruiting. I know the kid Abdullah enjoyed this weekend and we'd like to find a JR College RB as well if there is a good one out there. Sounds like even if we hit the 20-21 commitments we'd still be short on scollie kids as I think Blue is going medical hardship and we've got a couple leaving or deciding to end their playing days. I think we'll be somewhere between 80-82 kids on scholarship and we can have 85.

Okafor is kind of a waste of talent. I understand he only wants to try hard in practice if he is certain he'll play.

Sounds like we really need to pick up recruiting. I know the kid Abdullah enjoyed this weekend and we'd like to find a JR College RB as well if there is a good one out there. Sounds like even if we hit the 20-21 commitments we'd still be short on scollie kids as I think Blue is going medical hardship and we've got a couple leaving or deciding to end their playing days. I think we'll be somewhere between 80-82 kids on scholarship and we can have 85.

Some of the quotes from Abdullah make me think that some forced attrition is in store for some dead weight on the roster at RB.