D Tray Transfer

I remember a time when either through suspension or injury we had to start our fourth string running back. He ended the day with around 150 yards. Those were the days.

Sounds about like the days when Matt Turman could start and help us win games.

Those were the days, indeed.

Kind of interesting scenario. Rex will give us the option to run a lot of wildcat... have him take the snaps and bring in Heard or Green as the back. I'd guess either running back by committee or a competition between Green and Heard, with the winner taking Roy Helu's old role and the loser redshirting.

Looks like Rex is going to be man next year. Let's not forget that Rex saw some serious PT as a true freshman, so I fully expect much of the same with next year's team. I think we'll see some Braylon Heard and Aaron Green and who knows, maybe Collins Okafor, Lester Ward or Austin Jones steps up.

Braylon seems like the kind of back that can take a pounding more than Green so I think it would be awesome if he sort of stepped in and took what would have been Dontrayevous Robinson's role next year. Someone to give Burkhead a spell and still be able to get the tough yards when we need it.

I suspect both Green and Heard will see time next year and possibly both fill this role. Hard to say right now though but I could possibly see this being the scenario.

I don't know that Heard would necessarily fill Tray's role because their two different breeds of back. Tray is a thumper, like a poor man's Quentin Castille. Heard is a speedster, low center of gravity type of back. Personally, I can't wait to see the competition at RB this spring. :w00t

As of now we have no 'thumper'. Heard is definitely the type of back with the most promise/ability who looks to be the closest to filling a role that was to be Robinson's. Him and Green. I just don't see any of the other backs with the same ability as these two. Their only problem of course is experience but again Rex saw some pretty good time as a Freshman so I see no reason why these two shouldn't.

This hurts a little more than a lot of us think. A proven, game tested back traded in for two frosh that resemble NOTHING like Tray that have all the unproven hype/hope of us fans.

Tray, even with the occasional ball security issues, was a whole different monster that NU could have put in the backfield. When Watson gets butt tight and calls straight from the Barney Cotton OC guide book(power right, power left) which he can at any time, Trsy could have been perfect. He was straight chiseled. I wish we could have gotten to see more.

I will never fault this kid after the s#$t this kid went through this summer. Best of luck to him and I hope he shines at Montana St.

Barney Cotton has an OC guide book? :lol:

which he can at any time

Not with Bo's shotgun spread offense vision!

I wish we could have gotten to see more, though. I feel like guys like Tray, and Cody, are casualties of our offense's direction, which is really odd if you think about, how a fast dual-threat guy like Cody can fall way behind on the simple basis of not being an electric runner, or how any kind of RB can somehow not be worked into an offense. I hope I'm really off the mark with this.

suh_fan, isn't Heard a speed back? I woulda thought Rex is closest to thumper status now, among our top guys at least (don't know about Ward/Okafor, and Austin Jones and Yusef Wade are walk-ons. All but Wade may be closer to thumper than speed though).

I think the thumper/speed back is kind of a distinction we would no longer draw in the new offense direction. We are going to have a lot of smaller, fast backs, I feel. Again though, maybe I'm wrong in all this. I do favor the pro-style so maybe I'm getting all worked up over nothing.

Barney Cotton has an OC guide book? :lol:

which he can at any time

suh_fan, isn't Heard a speed back?

Compared to Dontrayevous Robinson yes. Not so much Green though. I do agree with you and think Rex was definitely our 'thumper' back this year. There's no denying he'll get the bulk of the carries next year and in short yardage situations too. I just see Heard and Green maybe both teaming up to take Robinson's place. As the guy who can come in and spell Rex when he needs it. I actually really like what I've seen of Okafor but have always been mystified as to why he really hasn't done anything since he's been here. Maybe someone here has some sort of low down on that. (I'm sure they do! lol)

I am hearing that Heard is not a definite yet. He says that he recieved a high enough grade on the ACT to enroll, but no word from the coaching staff if that is true, and now Heard cannot be reached for comment. Guess the only thing to do is hold our breath and wait to see if he is attending classes on Monday.