Crick on a Suh-like pace

ADS

We have good depth at DT. We return our two-deep intact:

Crick/Steinkuhler

Moore/Randle

We bring Chase Rome into active duty, and these guys to add depth.

If Rome turns out to be what a lot of us thought he would be, I could see these guys on the field:

DE Crick (/Ankrah?)

DT Steinkuhler/Rome

DT Moore/Randle

DE Meredith/Martin

We have good depth at DT. We return our two-deep intact:

Crick/Steinkuhler

Moore/Randle

We bring Chase Rome into active duty, and these guys to add depth:

Rome is the son of a mixed-martial arts trainer, and it shouldn't surprise that coaches are impressed by his competitive streak.

"He's going to be an outstanding player here," Pelini said.

But Pelini is just as encouraged by the development of some young defensive linemen who didn't come to Nebraska with as much fanfare as Rome.

Aside from being pleased with the progress of scholarship athletes like Tobi Okuyemi, Walker Ashburn and Jake Cotton, the Huskers are getting an added boost from some young walk-ons.

Pelini mentions Jeff Uher (Omaha Creigton Prep) and J.C. Moore (Fremont).

And then there's Andy Gdowski, a 6-foot-3, 235-pound product of Grand Island High School.

"I have very high expectations for him," Pelini said. "I actually brought him up midway through the season to work individual drills with the older guys because I see great potential with him."

LINK

Knoapp:

Just an aside, but another young DT, Jay Guy, is also coming up. Got next to him at the Holiday Bowl and this kid is huge. Wow, he is really fat! I'd say he is a good 350-370 pounds. So huge he doesn't walk, he waddles. He may ultimately factor in --- if he drops 50-60 pounds. He could fill a gap (or two) literally. In any event, he might be good down the road too.

Based on how Suh progressed from his Jr year to his Sr year, I'd say Crick made the right decision to return for 2011. No telling what he'll accomplish with another year of tutelage from the Pelini bros.

This. Crick came on at the end of the year much like Suh did. It's eerie how similar their two paths have been - Both were known to have the talent but everyone was waiting to see the production. Last half of Jr. season start to really show some things. Sr. year - dominate.

If Rome turns out to be what a lot of us thought he would be, I could see these guys on the field:

DE Crick (/Ankrah?)

DT Steinkuhler/Rome

DT Moore/Randle

DE Meredith/Martin

That looks like a very possible scenario. And two-deep, that's a group with some serious hurt potential. We just gotta get all of these guys to stay healthy and play to potential, and the D Line could, once again, be a fearsome force. We might need that, too, since the defensive backfield won't be as formidable as last year without Hagg, Amukamara and Gomes.

Knoapp:

Just an aside, but another young DT, Jay Guy, is also coming up. Got next to him at the Holiday Bowl and this kid is huge. Wow, he is really fat! I'd say he is a good 350-370 pounds. So huge he doesn't walk, he waddles. He may ultimately factor in --- if he drops 50-60 pounds. He could fill a gap (or two) literally. In any event, he might be good down the road too.

Thanks, Robsker! I KNEW there was a name I was missing. That's a face-palmer right there. :facepalm:

I for one hope that our young DTs really step it up and we're able to move Steinkuhler to the OL. For one, I think he could be a monster pushing guys upfront. I also think that it would be best for him with his back.

If Stein were to make that jump the jump would have happened last year IMO.

He could possibly break the Husker sack record of 29.5 by trev alberts. Crick is at 19 IIRC.

might be tough in the run happy Big 10...

actually, it could become quite easier, especially if he moves to the edge which wouldnt be surprising at all. the big ten isnt as run happy as most believe, and even if it was, it makes it that much easier for a d-lineman to identify a play he can go full bore to the qb on if they are such a run happy team in an obvious passing down situation.

Based on how Suh progressed from his Jr year to his Sr year, I'd say Crick made the right decision to return for 2011. No telling what he'll accomplish with another year of tutelage from the Pelini bros.

This. Crick came on at the end of the year much like Suh did. It's eerie how similar their two paths have been - Both were known to have the talent but everyone was waiting to see the production. Last half of Jr. season start to really show some things. Sr. year - dominate.

hmmm...could be developed by the same coaches?

Suh set the platinum standard that may be unfair to compare others to. Yet I think Crick will make a huge jump his Senior year and be a dominant force of his own.

There is only one Johnny Rodgers, there is only one Mike Rozier and even though Eric Crouch won the Heisman, there is only one Tommie Frazier.

Ndamukong SUH is not only a special football player he is a very special man. It is not fair to Jared Krick to either compare him too or expect him to live up to the level of play we witnessed last year with Mr. SUH.

Lets just let Jared be Jared and cheer our a$$es off for him next year.

T_O_B

:bonesflag::throwdabones1::throwdabones1::throwdabones1::bonesflag: