Clues to Our 'new' Offense...

irieboy8

The key is to be good enough and far ahead enough to let the others play. We have not had that nor done that in a very long long time. You have to have backups that can play the game you want to play. It is not fair to have them set the bench year after year and then the starter graduates and he has no experience. It does seem we tried it a little this year with Green, but I think he only played because Martinez was hurt. Never a plan to get him on the field in crucial situations. Other than you are the best we have left, play.

I am not sure how well our O, or supposed O will work in the Big Ten. As far s Lamichael having a good year, he was pretty much shut down against the only defense he faced this year. That being Auburn.

I think we are in for an eye opening run. A very tough physical schedule this year. The question is more about depth I think than starters. You guys know alot more about that than I do. But that is my main concern, having the ability to shuffle players in and not have tremendous drop off.

You're right except for the fact that they played him a least on series a half in all those game before TM was hurt just like the coaches had stated they would from day one and often he was put in horrible situations when he was put in.

I think this offense works pretty good against the Big 10, Michigan had great success and if they would have had a defense they probably had a shot at winning the damn thing. I think we are extremely lucky Rich Rod got the ax and wasn't allowed to fix his D with a new DC. Hoke will be much easier to beat over the next 5-10 years if he lasts that long.

Actually I think we better get our beatings in on Michigan while we still can. Hoke I believe is the real deal, it will take a couple years but Hoke will get the Wolverines rolling again. which i think will be good for BigTen and college football as a whole.

The key is to be good enough and far ahead enough to let the others play. We have not had that nor done that in a very long long time. You have to have backups that can play the game you want to play. It is not fair to have them set the bench year after year and then the starter graduates and he has no experience. It does seem we tried it a little this year with Green, but I think he only played because Martinez was hurt. Never a plan to get him on the field in crucial situations. Other than you are the best we have left, play.

I am not sure how well our O, or supposed O will work in the Big Ten. As far s Lamichael having a good year, he was pretty much shut down against the only defense he faced this year. That being Auburn.

I think we are in for an eye opening run. A very tough physical schedule this year. The question is more about depth I think than starters. You guys know alot more about that than I do. But that is my main concern, having the ability to shuffle players in and not have tremendous drop off.

You're right except for the fact that they played him a least on series a half in all those game before TM was hurt just like the coaches had stated they would from day one and often he was put in horrible situations when he was put in.

I think this offense works pretty good against the Big 10, Michigan had great success and if they would have had a defense they probably had a shot at winning the damn thing. I think we are extremely lucky Rich Rod got the ax and wasn't allowed to fix his D with a new DC. Hoke will be much easier to beat over the next 5-10 years if he lasts that long.

Actually I think we better get our beatings in on Michigan while we still can. Hoke I believe is the real deal, it will take a couple years but Hoke will get the Wolverines rolling again. which i think will be good for BigTen and college football as a whole.

Agreed huskerscott. I think that Hoke and Michigan will be fine offensively in the immediate future. His offense with Borges, whom I'm pretty sure followed him to Ann Arbor, will fit Robinson and Michigan's skill players almost to a tee. Offense will not be his problem, as it has been alluded to before defense is the issue. Hell it can even be a simple fix for them, like with a new coordinator(see Bo replacing Bohl, Bo again replacing Coz). Talent hasn't up and left Michigan. They might not have had classes like the pass, but they still are a trademark name.

Wow....well, the overwhelming majority of Michigan fans on the internet are thrilled he's gone. I can hardly blame them as their defense is horrid beyong belief as has gotten steadily worse under RR.

2010....110th in total defense

2009....82 in total defense

2008....69th in total defense

Throw in RR's offense vs good defenses this year and you get....

17 vs MSU

14 vs Miss St

7 vs Ohio St

So who knows? My guess is that Hoke will be a much better hire for them.

Doesn't Hoke run a pro-style offense? RichRod has been recruiting to the spread option. Maybe Hoke will get it turned around fast, or maybe it'll be like Callahan forcing a west coast offense with Joe Dailey at the helm in 2004. It could be a total disaster or not, depending on how flexible Hoke is.

As far as the new Offense goes I hope we can see pre injury martinez with better poise. That said the key to a great offense will boil down to execution, whatever "style" we embrace clean execution is what will make it work. Oregon was quick and all that but if they ran a sloppy offense full of penalties and poor blocking and turnovers they would have been an afterthought this year. No magic just a well coached team.

from this article and this little bit of info given by AA about his talk with Bo it seems like has a definete plan.... which leads me to believe Wats is coming back and has been working with Bo more... OR Wats is gone and Bo is just talking about the plan he wants and will fill it with someone with a similar philosophy (simple huh?!)

in other words i dont think it matters who stays or goes... rather this is the system he wants to run no matter what..... hopefully we can take it as a good sign that Bo realizes that he needs to get more invovled in the offense and believes this is the way to go....

Doesn't Hoke run a pro-style offense? RichRod has been recruiting to the spread option. Maybe Hoke will get it turned around fast, or maybe it'll be like Callahan forcing a west coast offense with Joe Dailey at the helm in 2004. It could be a total disaster or not, depending on how flexible Hoke is.

Hoke is bringing Al Borges over, who is very much a pro-style guy. It won't be an easy transition, especially if they try to do as BC did in '04 and aren't flexible with the scheme.

As far as our scheme goes I look for us to complete the break from the WCO with a new passing-scheme. Beck could be installing what he did at KU.

The possibility of a change in offense should excite me more. If they can mix it up more and actually incorporate some sort of short to intermediate passing game to keep defenses off balance it couldn't come soon enough.

Having said that I'm not excited about our offense heading into next year. I can't lie. I'm excited for the season but not for our offense.

I'm not concerned about 50 yard touchdown runs against a San Jose State. I want to see what this offense can do in a big game when the chips are down.

I think the coaches are in love with Martinez's speed so there is no way imo that he is not our starter regardless of how good someone else might practice so the next question is what if Martinez gets injured again.

Next year is going to be real interesting. In some ways it's scary to think about right now.

This is more geared towards our Big 10 schedule, I don't want to see the same results offensively when it's crunch time regardless of what offense we're running.

When the mans healthy, the sky's the limit. You run that zone read with a healthy and wiser TMart, look out. I like how Oregon runs it with 3 in the backfield and a WR coming across in motion like when Percy Harvin use to tear it up for Florida. Thats the ticket.

2min 50sec mark & 1min 29sec mark

This counter play was wicked.

I will be pulling for Taylor to win the starting job again. It will be nice to have a QB start for consecutive seasons and add some continuity to our offense for the head position. How long has it been since we have feilded the same QB for more than one season? Zac Taylor?

This is a very, very good point. I agree that continuity is important. That said, TMart needs to improve in every aspect of the game --- in particular --- a) leadership, B) decision making, c) not fumbling, d) not eating the ball on sack after sack (learning to step forward and elude the rush & throwing the ball away if need be), e) passing mechanics (which are horrible), and field vision. Then there is the other issue. After the Bowl Game with Washington in San Diego, I ran into an ex-Washington player (eligibility gone a year ago) who has many friends on the team --- and when I asked if he was surprised that UW won, he was not and he then pointed out that "his defensive friends on the team told him that they were confident from film that if you hit Martinez once or twice hard in a game that TMart is then done --- he'll lose focus and won't perform anymore." Interesting take. I did not mention this earlier as I was on the road (actually out of the country w/o internet access for free). Anyway...

Continuity is a great thing and the greatest improvement of a player is typically after year one and going into year two. lets hope that, if TMart is the guy, that he improves... a ton.

In an attempt to shift this thread from a debate on Taylor Martinez, I hate the way the O-line changes their splits. I don't like the wide splits specifically. I know there was success this year with the wide splits, but it could be changing the splits of the O-line contributed to their struggles.

I just think the tighter splits fit the personel of NU's O-line better, and will fit the kid's we have recruited better. A lot of bigger, stronger O-lineman versus a lot of smaller, quicker O-lineman.

This is starting to make sense. NU already secured a commitment from Texas scatback Aaron Green, while big back Dontrayevous Robinson just left for Montana State. Abdullah, who hasn’t committed, would give Nebraska more speed in the backfield.

This will raise eyebrows from the crowd that thinks NU has to bulk up and go big, with an I-formation fullback, to win in the Big Ten. But think about it: Former NU defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove had a big linebacker mentality from the Big Ten and he had no idea what to do with the Big 12 spreads, particularly Kansas’ spread and spread option.

Link

Shatel just wrote a small article in the OWH on this subject as well. Make's a few good points:

Shatel

Out of the mouths of babes comes the identity of the Nebraska offense.

It appears to be a spread or spread option. That’s according to Birmingham, Ala., running back Ameer Abdullah, who told the Birmingham News that Bo Pelini shared his vision of the future of Nebraska’s offense; a spread option to take advantage of Taylor Martinez’s speed. The article also implied a move away from power football and toward Oregon’s offense.

This is starting to make sense. NU already secured a commitment from Texas scatback Aaron Green, while big back Dontrayevous Robinson just left for Montana State. Abdullah, who hasn’t committed, would give Nebraska more speed in the backfield.

This will raise eyebrows from the crowd that thinks NU has to bulk up and go big, with an I-formation fullback, to win in the Big Ten. But think about it: Former NU defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove had a big linebacker mentality from the Big Ten and he had no idea what to do with the Big 12 spreads, particularly Kansas’ spread and spread option.

Michigan led the Big Ten in offense last year (488.7 yards per game) with a spread. The Wolverines’ problem was a porous, last-place defense.

Don’t know what this would mean for offensive coordinator Shawn Watson or if running back coach Tim Beck, who learned the spread at Kansas, would be more involved. Pelini did not return phone calls Monday.

But if it means the official end of the virus known as the West Coast offense at NU, we can all throw a parade.