JBD It had to happen

• 2 weeks later...

So far, doesn't look like JBD's effort has changed this year. I get so tired of watching that lifeless guy on the court. He gets 24 minutes yesterday and pulls down 1 rebound?? The guy is 6'11" and gets 1 rebound? How do you explain that other than a complete lack of effort. The guy always looks extremely tired, even at tipoff. I know he scores some points for us, gets a block here and there, but he is not my favorite player to watch. Why does Doc keep him in the game so much?

So far, doesn't look like JBD's effort has changed this year. I get so tired of watching that lifeless guy on the court. He gets 24 minutes yesterday and pulls down 1 rebound?? The guy is 6'11" and gets 1 rebound? How do you explain that other than a complete lack of effort. The guy always looks extremely tired, even at tipoff. I know he scores some points for us, gets a block here and there, but he is not my favorite player to watch. Why does Doc keep him in the game so much?

Lack of an alternative.................

Watch a game before speaking your piece. You're obviously just checking box scores and not watching the players. Is it pathetic that he only gets 1 rebound? Absolutely. However, I couldn't disagree with you more about the rest of your post. For one thing, NU has played a couple teams that attempt to get transition points, so on offense Doc has actually had his athletic guards crashing the boards while the big men take off for the defensive end to make sure they get back - hasn't been a bad plan either as NU still finds plenty of boards with guys like Walker. Secondly, the Oregon game saw tons of shots in the paint meaning Diaz was contesting shots while others went for the boards. Not saying his lack of production is acceptable, but there are reasons he doesn't have 20 boards a game.

What really irks me about your post is your claim of "he isn't trying, doesn't care." Are you freaking kidding me? Watched a game all year? Against USC, Oregon and SDSU Diaz got in the face of an opposing player. Yesterday he twice got tangled up with another guy and talked a little trash. I've also seen several times after a big shot is made, Diaz whips around and YELLS 'atta-boys to the shooter. Watch a player before you start questioning his character like that.

Watch a game before speaking your piece. You're obviously just checking box scores and not watching the players. Is it pathetic that he only gets 1 rebound? Absolutely. However, I couldn't disagree with you more about the rest of your post. For one thing, NU has played a couple teams that attempt to get transition points, so on offense Doc has actually had his athletic guards crashing the boards while the big men take off for the defensive end to make sure they get back - hasn't been a bad plan either as NU still finds plenty of boards with guys like Walker. Secondly, the Oregon game saw tons of shots in the paint meaning Diaz was contesting shots while others went for the boards. Not saying his lack of production is acceptable, but there are reasons he doesn't have 20 boards a game.

What really irks me about your post is your claim of "he isn't trying, doesn't care." Are you freaking kidding me? Watched a game all year? Against USC, Oregon and SDSU Diaz got in the face of an opposing player. Yesterday he twice got tangled up with another guy and talked a little trash. I've also seen several times after a big shot is made, Diaz whips around and YELLS 'atta-boys to the shooter. Watch a player before you start questioning his character like that.

I go to every home game. Can probably count on one hand the number I have missed in the past 5 years. I can appreciate your comments and you are entitled to them. I just don't understand why JBD always looks so soft. He rarely is aggressive. Every once in a while, when he does get his hands on a rebound, someone usually knocks it out of his hands. Grab the freaking ball already!! I did see him in the game yesterday getting angry....but it's always during dead-ball times. He rarely plays that way. Again, you are entitled to your opinion, and I to mine. I will continue to support Doc's team and even JDB when he does something good. Just won't be sad to no longer be watching him. I would love more than anything for him to make me eat crow.

I go to every home game. Can probably count on one hand the number I have missed in the past 5 years. I can appreciate your comments and you are entitled to them. I just don't understand why JBD always looks so soft. He rarely is aggressive. Every once in a while, when he does get his hands on a rebound, someone usually knocks it out of his hands. Grab the freaking ball already!! I did see him in the game yesterday getting angry....but it's always during dead-ball times. He rarely plays that way. Again, you are entitled to your opinion, and I to mine. I will continue to support Doc's team and even JDB when he does something good. Just won't be sad to no longer be watching him. I would love more than anything for him to make me eat crow.

I have no issue with you complaining about his performance and yes he is a soft player, but it was known from the start he was a "finesse" player, not an aggressive bruiser. The problem I have is with people saying he's not trying. Facial expressions are not a requirement of 'trying'.

Basically people are falling into the Jay Cutler routine when judging JBD. Just because you don't have a snarl on your face or are jumping around slapping your teammates on the butt doesn't mean you aren't trying.

He is what he is. We aren't going to have Almeida this year, so look for a ton of JBD...we don't really have an alternative. I mean, what are out expectations for this guy? He isn't Dwight Howard. As long as he's working hard and contributing, I'm happy.

• Fire 1

The problem I have with JBD is the way Doc wants to use him (power the ball inside). Well, that's not going to happen with JBD at center. He isn't that aggressive, power-type center. He's great at scoring when someone feeds him the ball near the basket at an angle, he's a pretty good passer, and better at facing up against the defender, rather than having his back to him.

Just my two cents

The problem I have with JBD is the way Doc wants to use him (power the ball inside). Well, that's not going to happen with JBD at center. He isn't that aggressive, power-type center. He's great at scoring when someone feeds him the ball near the basket at an angle, he's a pretty good passer, and better at facing up against the defender, rather than having his back to him.

Just my two cents

see the WF thread

• 1 month later...